2020 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our players may already know or at least have a good idea. I think with a expansion draft you would wait till it is over before you let a player go officially so that way maybe they get selected instead of a player you want to keep. The contracts don’t actually expire until Dec 31st right ?

that being said nobody wants any of Cincinnati’s players. It said they let go 2 players but are in talks with them to sign a new contract.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a secret as far as the players are concerned. Before actually being released, they have to undergo an "exit physical" to ensure that teams aren't dumping injured guys.

So if you got called in for an exit physical, I bet you could put 2 + 2 together until an official announcement is made.

3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCKentucky released Alvas Powell, Victor Ulloa, Corben Bone, Hassan Ndam Justin Hoyte and Roland Lamah.

4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I know but 2 of them they said were in talks to a new contract. Supposedly 2 of their better players

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Josh Williams get an extension/new contract?

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 Bill Archer, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Crew hasn't made any announcements, but because you're special, I'll pass along some dates:

First, from Nov 11 -13 theres a trade and signing window. First one since August.

Then, on the 14th, teams may present the infamous "bona fides offers" to out of contract players. Get someone else to explain the import.

After that, on the 16th, the final list of expansion draft protected players will be released.

The draft itself will be on the 19th.

After that, on the 21st is the final day to execute contract options.

Then, on the 25th, they'll hold the waiver draft. Sometime just before that MLS will release the list of eligible players.

Immediately after that MLS free agency opens. Again, someone else can explain the re entry process, which is in 3 stages and I dont give a shit a bit any of them.

Hope this helps.

7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew announced last autumn that Williams' option was exercised. I assume that was just for one year.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason I asked was that we were at Markus’ rec soccer game in Green. A family came up over to compliment us on all of our Crew gear. Long story short, they are cousins with Josh.

They were very excited he got a new contract. I was a bit confused because I was not aware of it. Perhaps they meant last year, but they did not seem to be referencing a historical thing.

9. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be that they know something that hasn't been released yet. That would, if my calculations are correct, make you today's Applebee's waitress.

10. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every so often I ask this question because I know theres some people that watch more MLS (beyond the Crew) than I do.....

Are there any players at this time, in the league, that you would want to bring to the Crew? I'm talking realistic trades where its feasible that the players team would be willing to part with him and that we would have a practical use for him and would fit in here (So no Vela, Martinez, Zlatan nonsense). Are there any players you would trade for that would be a solid starter here? Are there any lesser players in the league you think could be worth bringing here, to just provide depth or to build up and develop more?

Talk always automatically gravitates toward who the next exciting acquisition will be from overseas (which is understandable). Not every roster addition will be as such though with international spot limitations, and boatloads of allocation money that wont/dont have to go towards just buying our DPs down.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paused before I posted my initial question. I am not fan of fake waitresses.

Truth be told, I was caught off guard my their enthusiasm of Williams receiving a new contract. I had not heard of it. Though my fandom has been slacking the past few months. Chalk it up to being tired.

I love Josh Williams, but I hope the only reason he would be re-signed would be to unprotect him in the expansion draft. As the kids would tweet, #sorrynotsorry.

LaMacchia repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So am I the only one who didnt know that Tom Presthus is the Crew DA GK coach?

And is he the reason why the extremely talented JT Harms left Minnesota to play for the Crew Academy?

And speaking of Harms, he graduates HS next May. No one seems to have a clue what his plans are. It would be very unusual for an MLS team to sign an 18 year old keeper, but a) clubs overseas sure as hell do and b) he's an extraordinary talent who would be wasted playing 3 months a year at some college.

Would Bez take a shot on a kid like him? Hes still years away from being MLS ready but times are changing and you dont toss talented kids away regardless of position.

Ch(Elsey), the_rickler and Crew96Fan repped this.
  13. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did know about Presthus. I can't find where I found that, now that you mention it though. He's assisted by David Winner as well!

Would hate to see a talent like this given up. He's a kid that could be the starting piece of the Crew's USL team and eventually a full fledged pro.

Bill Archer, Tobias C and the_rickler repped this.
  14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes but it appears we will get a USL team in 2021 at the earliest

15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If hes as good as Bill suggests...and graduates in the spring.... No reason we couldnt sign him and loan him to another USL team for 2020. If hes extra special it might even be worth loaning him to a lesser league in Europe if possible, like a 2nd or 3rd division league that has to be a higher level than USL but maybe not up to MLS level. We also dont have any real talent below Room on the depth chart (I have no idea about Lundgaard but we havent seen any of him yet so I'm guessing hes probably not in the equation going forward). It wouldn't surprise me if a young homegrown GK stole Kempins spot as backup keeper, or god forbid Room gets injured, seeing a rapid emergence like Keita.

Being a keeper, theres definitely no reason to rush his development, only keep it steady.

16. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also about a USL team in the future...I wouldnt think it would be that hard to get the actual team organization up and going. Im sure in 2020, so much of the focus will probably be on the new stadium so I'm sure a reserve team may still be on the backburner. We already have a stadium they can play at that will be right next to the training center in the future though. And while the senior team is still at Mapfre, a place like Jesse Owens Memorial would be perfectly fine for what will most likely be a USL League 1 team (3rd division). I dont know how much a USL team and the main teams schedules would conflict. Actually at that level, any decent high school stadium would suffice temporarily. The D3 standards are pretty low.

The only question is if we have enough worthwhile players to stock a team, and I dont know enough about our academy guys to be certain (though I'm trying to keep tabs on em)...but you can build a reserve team from more than just your own academy.

17. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    #67 BigStern, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Roster Updates: https://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post...sc-announces-roster-updates-ahead-2020-season

Of Note: Francis, Jimenez, Mensah, Argudo, Santos and Trapp had their options exercised. Kempin and Josh Williams got new Contract Agreements.

Options Declined: Lundgaard, Crognale, Guzman, Opoku, and Sosa.

Still In Negotiation: Afful.

Clark and Higuain are listed as out of contract.

TBD: Maloney & Hamilton (both have a team option) and R. WIlliams (Out of Contract).

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.dispatch.com/sports/201...o-higuains-contract-expire-among-roster-moves

Exercised: Santos, Wil Trapp, Luis Argudo, Hector Jimenez, Jonathan Mensah and Waylon Francis
    Declined: Crognale, David Guzman, Edward Opoku and Eduardo Sosa, and Ben Lundgaard
    New Contracts: Kempin, Josh Williams
    No contract: Higuain, Rico Clark

Negotiating with Afful. Have until Nov 11 to decide what to do with the contracts of Maloney, Jordan Hamilton, Romario Williams

Current Roster:
    Goalkeepers: Eloy Room, Jon Kempin.

Defenders: Hector Jimenez, Waylon Francis, Milton Valenzuela, Jonathan Mensah, Lalas Abubakar, Aboubacar Keita, Josh Williams, Chris Cadden.

Midfielders: Pedro Santos, Luis Diaz, Youness Mokhtar, Artur, Wil Trapp, Luis Argudo.

Forwards: Gyasi Zardes, JJ Williams.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asked and now answered.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't comment at the time but remember thinking that it is probable the players knew before the announcement to the public.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  21. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Praise Jesus.

Tobias C, LGCGoCrew, redi44crew and 4 others repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crewsmas Santa,

Please bring us goalscorers.

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think R Williams and Hamilton are fine because Zardes will get bulk of minutes unless we change formation (lol ) and JJ Williams is not MLS ready and may never be

we likely at least sign one of them to a new deal but i hope we keep them both unless we have our eyes on someone better

Tobias C repped this.
  24. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I cannot believe we're keeping Josh Williams.

hangthadj repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We won’t protect him In expansion draft and he is a better #4 CB than most teams have and he is better than Crognale and I’m sure his new contract is team friendly . He also is a great guy with leadership in the locker room .

Tobias C, TrueCrew and soccerncbus repped this.