2020 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one positive for CCL would be if it started on time but the MLS schedule being pushed back. Usually CCL
    stars right before the season. Would give us a chance to make a run with our starters and not worry about MLS to start

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We just won the Cup. Guys like Etienne and Diaz will be asking for raises. Thankfully we don’t have any players with a foot out the door to Europe but the world is taking notice. I would think Valenzuela may be headed that direction.

3. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get Garber Bux for CCL qualification, yes?

4. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams qualifying for the CCL used to get extra allocation $$, and I don't think that has changed.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has not.

I believe we have 24 hours to make our decisions on options an such after the end of the year (a rule I hate, by the way). We are getting close to that deadline. We should know some stuff soon.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cadden is the younger more athletic Hector. If he moves in that’s ok with me.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias C and stanger repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TKyle repped this.
  9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we seem to have a ton on the roster at this second. Our decision is due today right? Must signal the impending departure of (all of?) Kempin, Lampson, and Tarbell.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Tarbell has some trade value? Also Bush brings some CCL experience that may be valuable.

11. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zman31 repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think. It could be that Tarbell's value increased considerably this season. Two clean sheets in the regular season, two more in the playoffs. Started 8 games, appeared in 9. If he has a shot at being a starter somewhere, the Crew isn't the type of organization that tends to stand in the way. But we surely need a viable back-up.

Tobias C, DGA57v2 and TrueCrew repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, Bush is of course an ex-Akron Zip who played for Porter and he does love him the Old Boys.

Second, Tarbell has showed very good stuff and he deserves to start someplace. I wouldn't trade him even up for around half the starters in MLS.

Third, I don't know his contract status but he may have the accrued time to be a free agent and maybe he has indicated that he intends to move on since there's about zero chance of beating out Room.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB, DGA57v2 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer Market has his contract ending this month which makes sense. A lot of draft picks end up with a 3+2 deal, especially 5 years ago.

He showed what he is capable in San Jose and in limited time here. He probably deserves a shot at winning a job.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. The Bush acquisition seems odd at first. We have 5 GKs at the moment. And he is 34.

But Bush has more time as a starter than the others. Started 8 for Vancouver last year. He's Ohio guy. Akron guy. Porter guy.

It is harder when we don't know the cintract status of most guys. Who is out of contract? Who does the team have an option with? Who is signed?

This surely signals some GKs on the way out. Most likely Tarbell (if not others) since paying $125k in GAM to get a #3 GK is crazy. And we'd be crazy to let Tarbell go after the season he just had. He is either out of contract and wants to start somewhere or we think we can trade him for value.

Financially, Tarbell, Kempin, and Lampson were all Supplemental Roster guys this year. Maybe Tarbell wants more $$ and we want that Senior Roster spot open. The blurb said Montreal & Vancouver would be covering some of Bush's salary. So I am hoping he will be a Supplemental guy as well.

Will wait for the full update until later today.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  16. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect this page will have a lot of discussion soon today

TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have heard that the Haslams have absolutely fallen in love with the Crew and thus the potential budget has risen. Id expect another DP before next season. Will keep my ear out for a name.

18. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless you and your infinite wisdom

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.
  19. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, who knows what their real opinion was getting into this, but I think they must have seen that given their support, Bez and Porter can deliver. They see a real ROI on the on-field product at least. What a time to be alive.

Tobias C, west ham sandwich and catfish9 repped this.
  20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more than we have fallen in love with them.

Tobias C, GoCrew1996, Ueberjames and 2 others repped this.
  21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can spend and spend and spend in the NFL and not have the impact of the loose change in their couch cushions had in bringing in Zelrayán. I imagine that it would be pretty easy to convince them now that another $4-8M transfer and $3M/yr DP signing would be a great way to keep things rolling. Especially since they're in for half a billion dollars already.

Bez and Porter have earned their trust. One bargain basement (in NFL money) player got us 3 awards? Newcomer of the Year, MLS Cup MVP and MLS Cup. Okay, tell me what you can do with another $10M.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel it’s an appropriate time to let my feelings be known. Dee is a stone cold fox. That’s all.

23. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's on the off-season wishlist? How do we improve? (should this be a new thread?)

The defense was great all year and gave up 1 goal in 4 playoff games, but we don't have much depth there. Wormgoor should be back for next season, Josh Williams is a championship caliber CB, and Mensah the captain is a stud.

Central midfield of Zalarayan, Nagbe, and newly-minted start Morris are solid.

Right sided Fullback and Left Winger seem the most ripe for improvement, although it seems explicitly stated that Santos will be back.

Should there be competition for Zardes's spot at #9?

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bring in a high level winger. Santos, Diaz fight for the other spot.

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to really build on our depth to be able to have success in USOC and CCL. The experience many of our back ups go this year due to the compact schedule could really pay dividends. While another DP would be awesome. I think we really need to focus on our weakest back ups and improve those positions. For instance who will play the 10 when Lucas is resting? To me that will be the key back up position we need to solidify.

TKyle repped this.