2020 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps expecting Room to be gone for national team duty this summer.

Pauncho and hangthadj repped this.
  2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB and stanger repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One Quakes fan's opinion:

Tarbell has decent talent (good shot blocker, poor distributor) but lost confidence during the Quakes' 2018 Wooden Spoon campaign, in which he was often hung out to dry, so to speak. A change of scenery should do wonders for Tarbell. At the least he's a decent backup, on the fringe of starter-level.

New coach Matias Almeyda brought in his former teammate, Daniel Vega, who started throughout 2019 and has kept the job, while they groom homegrown JT Marcinkowski, who has been on the USMNT radar. Meanwhile, their third-stringer Matt Bersano has played reasonably well at the farm club in Reno, and they have a teenager they think highly of, as well. So, there was an excess of bodies and it was clear Tarbell would be the odd man out.

Crewmania, Draghignazzo, Jaybir and 7 others repped this.
  4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As preseason injury replacement signings go, this sure as hell beats the news from 2019.

redi44crew, TRUJDUB, Pauncho and 6 others repped this.
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for both parties. You guys got him for pretty cheap too. Maybe change of scenery is what the guy needed.

Jaybir, Ch(Elsey) and Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first this was puzzling, but if Lampson has knee issues restricting him, and Room undoubtedly gets call ups to Curacao, it will make sense to have another option available.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  8. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Makes sense but I might have to turn to Kempin and say...
    [​IMG]

Draghignazzo, Jaybir, Tobias C and 2 others repped this.
  9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think they will get a CDM in summer but it scares me they don’t get a back up . I know we have two young guys and Cadden & Jimenez are capable but I think if Artur or Nagbe be get hurt we would be better off in a 2 striker formation than to start a inexperienced DM . Porter seems married to this 4231 and we are thin at DM.

The young guys need to be on our USL team so counting on them to contribute is risky. I guess we can last minute shop since the window is open but there has to be a decent guy available maybe we will pick one up when is MLS roster compliance day ???

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is deep. Not sure how good the best XI will be yet, though I'm hopeful. But we have more guys I'd be ok getting 10 starts than I can ever recall.

11. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    CDM is even more of a concern after last night if you ask me

crew2112 repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess, but it's hard to imagine anyone with an iota of experience watching MLS seeing two rookies as being in any way realistic backups in this league, and I don't think the Crew coaching staff honestly feel that way. It happens, every year, that a handful of rookies step in and do very well. But most draftees fail, many miserably. Berhalter and Morris may well evolve into being quality professional soccer players. But I have to assume the conventional wisdom is correct; that this will be the Nagbe/Artur show going into 2020, and the club will make a move either by early May (when the primary window closes) or over the summer (once the secondary windows open, in August) to bring on someone else if that pairing falters (or, God forbid, there are injury issues).

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I thought Berhalter did very well last night until his red card. Morris was invisible for the most part.

14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought both Berhalter and Morris looked like competent soccer players with decent touch, some defensive awareness and the confidence to display both. i don't think either are ready to push for starting jobs, but I include them in that comment above, if either had to start 10 games this year, the season wouldn't be lost because of it.

Same goes for all the other backups that got minutes last night.

There have been a lot of years where our subs bench didn't have 3 guys I wanted to sub on for 30 minutes much less start 1 game.

We're obviously thinnest at CDM, no question about it. But the 2 homegrown rookies looked like MLS level players to me. Would you rather have one of them start in a pinch for Artur or David Guzman, because that's basically the move we made.

Tobias C and BigStern repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One (preseason) game is not a career. We'll see down the road.

I'm minded of watching what I thought was a really horrific Mets team on Opening Day many years back. They'd had a horrible year the year before (68 wins), and this team looked no better. They got smoked. But they finished 2nd that season and won the World Series two years later.

16. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    That is obviously true but it's the only thing we have. Berhalter had a solid 60 until the red card playing both the 6 and the 8. Morris came in at the half and I didn't even notice him before the red card, much less after.

17. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I saw the starting 11 for last night and for the first time in a long time, I could actually smile and feel good. Wasn't a spot on the pitch that made me scream 'WEAKNESS' and know that the game was going to turn out based on how that one player performed. So much better than in any recent memory.

Then they played, and I still felt pretty good.

stanger repped this.
  18. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goes to what I felt after watching. We have more guys I'd be ok getting 10 starts than I can ever recall. I don't know how good our best XI is compared to great Crew teams of the past and the current rosters of the rest of league this year, but I do know that we've got 20ish deserved pro soccer players on this roster.

Jiminez and his versatility just might be our worst field player at this point and I'd include him in that group that could start 10 games and we'd be ok.

19. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t have much confidence in Jimenez after that assist for the Red Bull’s goal. He’s been a solid backup for several years but he’s over 30 and as with a lot of over 30 players, there can be a cliff. I’m hoping he’s a few years off from that point.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JJ Willams has been waived.

No big surprise

TRUJDUB repped this.
  21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just another cautionary tale of a guy who looked great in his college highlight reel, but probably was a better fit in USL than MLS. There's a pretty long list of those players.

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    It was a mishit. He was in a tough position with a guy behind him. He tried to clear it upfield and he missed it badly. That will happen at times just like Zardes missing a great opportunity in the Phoenix game. Jimenez also was key in being the outlet on our goal. Nagbe found him and he had a quick one touch pass to Berhalter who then found Santos, etc.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The time for game changing mis-kicks and a terrible red card worthy tackles is the preseason.

If Hector is the worst soccer player on our team, we have a pretty decent team.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hard to believe that a first round pick and the man who was set to take over for USMNT stalwart Gyasi Zardes according to several posters here was waived after only one season.

A Bez disasterclass.....