2020 Roster Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Y tu mama tambien, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Again, we can have both.

goldclover, xtomx and milicz repped this.
  2. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    What the hell does that mean? I think I was pretty unambiguous with what I wrote. It'd be nice to have fans in seats instead of an empty stadium. 20k at Soldier Field will feel empty and if that's what we're looking at why move from Bridgeview? Can't I want both things? Can't we dream of being an Atlanta United, good on the field, filled in the stands? I'm not sure what's wrong with that.

lethargytartare, goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Honestly my dream scenario for Gaston is an entire board of fans saying he's wasting a DP spot and not contributing anything after the team grinds out consecutive games where the opposing teams are limited to a single digit number of shots. ...the perfect DM.

splunge63, milicz and chiladd repped this.
  4. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1279 chiladd, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    I've already seen at least one twitter post about wasting a DP slot on a DM.
    Fire fans..
    What a bunch

TyrusRose repped this.
  5. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who was Atlanta’s big name signing that a casual fan would know? A failed Josef Martinez in Italy? Or Miguel almiron from Lanús who most people never heard of? Atlanta is the way they are because they win and didn’t care about a name. Winning will solve the attendance issue.

GHjelm and splunge63 repped this.
  6. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don’t disagree, but you have both by putting a winning team on the field consistently. Not signing a name just for a quick boost.

GHjelm and chiladd repped this.
  7. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I think this inverts the causation a bit.

Atlanta was a phenomenon first and foremost because they immediately broke the mold for what an MLS crowd could be. That brought the spotlight, and the spotlight made marketable stars of Martinez and Almiron.

The winning was probably a necessary but not sufficient condition of all of that. But the prerequisite is doing the off-field stuff correctly.

Soldier Field will be totally, strikingly, un-ignorably empty this year. Which sends the trajectory down a different path than Atlanta even if Gaston is out there running the game like prime Yaya Toure.

8. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    No one understands that the lone 6 is the most important position in a 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1

9. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    4-1-4-1 a cdlc favorite if I remember his time here correctly.

10. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Pep ran it at Bayern. Only worked because of how genius Lahm is/was. Allowed Müller to play as the shadow striker and almost make it a 4-2-4.

goldclover repped this.
  11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    That's my worry. Does it work at all if you don't have the kind of player there that an MLS team can't get?

And it would be one thing if it was just a proper dedicated destroyer in the Claude Makelele mold. But Gaston looks like a more expansive player than that, and if he's not minding the store, who is?

When you think a fluid, possession-based 4-3-3, you naturally think of Pep's first Barcelona team. They had literally like 8 freak unicorn hall of famers in the XI. Notably including Sergio Busquets who was crafted by God to play that exact 6 role. It's not something that's attempted a lot with ordinary players, that I've seen.

goldclover repped this.
  12. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you need inspiration, I think I did this back in the Puerari days. Too lazy to look it up.

HerthaBerwyn and xtomx repped this.
  13. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just win, baby. Al Davis was a flaming as$hole, but he was right. Winning will solve a lot of the Fire's issues.

14. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Yeah Busquets is another one of those guys who is perfectly suited for the position. It's MLS though and a guy like Basti who couldn't play it at the Euopean level could cut it at MLS. Hopefully Gimenez can, but that's Heitz's job to determine.

15. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Basti worked in a double pivot with Dax though. THAT'S a setup we've seen lesser talent flourish in.

I dunno, maybe there are dogged mid-table 4-3-3's out there that I just can't recall, but that's always seemed to be more of a platform for geniuses to impose their genius that a way to make the most of mere mortals.

goldclover repped this.
  16. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    There were times where Dax was much higher up than an 8 in a double pivot would be but I guess we did both

17. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Tom Collingsworth, splunge63 and xtomx repped this.
  18. I hope our fan base is sophisticated enough to understand his value. After all, there's a player in this city who spent a whole World Cup making Zone 14 heat chart action sparse for opponents, Julie Ertz.

cchchaplain, goldclover and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The owner is “obsessed” with filling the stadium. If you don’t like people discussing it go tell him to be quiet. He’s the one putting the expectation out there, not any fan.

lethargytartare and xtomx repped this.
  20. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1295 splunge63, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    If this (Gimenez, Aliseda, Sekulic) is really happening, our team should have very good wheels.

goldclover repped this.
  21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Frankowski’s no slowpoke.

rooked, splunge63 and goldclover repped this.
  22. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Indeed! Great wheels.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Still a big if, but it is looking more likely.

Still concerned who is going to get Beric the ball.

24. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In a team full of question marks, Medran and Mihailovic may be the biggest ones.

25. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What I'm reading about these supposed incoming signing's , they are set up guys. I think Sekulic has at least 7 assists so far this season at RB. It looks like Aliseda is also a guy to set up strikers..
    Sekulic and,Frankowski may be the dark horse in the league. Again , I don't know much about the former other than what I've read and YouTube clips... but if he's anything like he looks..

xtomx repped this.