2020 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So Clarke already being promoted to RBL in 2021. I expected a stop at RBS first.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Islanders did much better than expected in the playoffs. Maybe we can too.

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dont make this rangers fan puke.

But as we have no pressure or expectations, this would be the season for a wild run.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a 1-1 draw hosting Orlando City. Nani scored a penalty kick in the 56th minute. I couldn't tell if Amro Tarek touched the attacker to get the penalty called, but Tarek stuck his leg out to attempt to trip the attacker with no chance at getting the ball. In the 90+4th, he got a yellow for time wasting. Brian White, who replaced Daniel Royer in the 70th, got the ball facing away from the goal, turned around, and scored in the 90+5th. We had better statistics. We had 6 clearances, and Orlando City had 30. The MLS homepage says "Brian White stuns Orlando in stoppage time!"

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/news/the-week-in-numbers-x3272 says:

"17 Remember the name: Caden Clark. The 17-year-old New York Red Bulls midfielder became the youngest player to score in his first two Major League Soccer (MLS) appearances in league history. Last weekend he scored the winning goal with a fine volley against Atlanta United, but his second against Toronto on Wednesday evening was something special."

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another crazy end, deep into injury time in last night's match. About the ugliest goal you'll see to earn a late point, delivered for the 2nd game in a row by Brian White.

This team doesn't give up. But it also doesn't really inspire a ton of confidence of doing anything much in the playoffs, assuming they make it.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS posts highlights from the home club, and one of Chicago's announcers is Tony Meola. MSG said "extra time," and after hundreds of games I wish they would know to say "stoppage time" or "injury time." Extra time only happens if a club needs to win or to advance on aggregate.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great 2T tonight after an extreme snoozefest in 1T.

It was a toss-up between Long and Parker for MOTM. And then they combined for the winning goal at 88’.

Glad I didn’t turn it off at 45.

Ps. Almost into the playoffs for the 11th straight year I think.

Pps. Anyone else out there other than Evan?? ;)

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...-red-bulls-vs-new-england-revolution/boxscore is the box score showing Aaron Long scored the only goal in the 89th minute for a 1-0 win hosting New England. When Inter Miami lost, we clinched the playoffs. Furthermore, we lead New England on the wins tiebreaker and are in sixth. The top six start in the Eastern Quarterfinals, and seventh through tenth play in the first round. Each conference has only four clubs miss the playoffs. It's 10 of 14 in the East and 8 of 12 in the West, with the Play-In Round only happening in the East. Nashville is 1 point behind with a game in hand, and they're above us and New England in points per game. Nashville and New England also clinched the playoffs tonight. We're 4 points behind NYCFC and 6 points above Montreal, so it would be very surprising if we're not sixth, seventh, or eighth. That means that if we are in the Play-In Round we will host it unless we lose twice and Montreal wins twice. Montreal has only 2 draws, and they would win the wins tiebreaker if they catch us. The regular season ends on Sunday November 8, which is the same day as the NASCAR season ends.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 NorthBank, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    We held our own for a good portion of the game. Towards HT it even looked like we might take 3 points. Until City broke things open in 2T. And it ended up as a completely deflating loss. And one that confirms that any playoff run we might have will likely be quite short. Go ahead and prove me wrong boys!

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since NorthBank didn't post the score, I will. It was 5-2.

To get up to the 6 seed and avoid the play-in round, we need to win on Sunday and have New England lose. All Eastern Conference games are at 3:30 P.M. We host Toronto, and New England is at Philadelphia. Philadelphia and Toronto are tied for the most points with 44, which is exactly 2 per game. The Supporters Shield won't be given. Philadelphia leads MLS with a +22, and Toronto's +8 is tied for eighth in MLS, so that combined with us being at home and New England being away means that we have an easier game, but it will still be hard to get a win and New England loss. Philadelphia has won all 8 home games, and Toronto is 5-2-2 away, which is tied with New England for the most away wins. Philadelphia vs. New England will be on ABC, so anyone who gets ABC and MSG can switch between channels.

13. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooting for you guys for the first time EVER! Do your job, and we’ll do ours!

EvanJ repped this.
  14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.flashscore.com/match/rTBQLAKt/#match-summary lists Seagrist is our only unavailable player, and Toronto has seven players unavailable.

My soccer day got off to a bad start with Genoa falling into the relegation zone. Neither the Red Bulls nor Manchester United will get relegated, so Genoa is the only club I have to worry about that for.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We led 2-0 at halftime and won 2-1, Philadelphia beat New England 2-0, and we passed New England to avoid the Play-In Round. We got the 6 seed, and we will go to Columbus. We finished with 32 points in 23 games, which is 1.39 per game. Columbus got 41 points, which is 1.78 per game. Columbus allowed 21 goals, which was the second fewest. They scored 36 and allowed 21. Philadelphia had the most points, best goal differential, and fewest goals allowed. They got 47 points, which is 2.04 per game, scored 44 goals, and allowed 20 goals. Their goal differential per game was +1.04. MLS says Philadelphia won the Supporters' Shield, but I read that MLS wasn't going to give the SS this year. Maybe they changed their mind.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem! You deserve to get the Supporter Shield. Glad that MLS reversed their stupid decision not to award it this year.

p.s. Nice to see our boys do what they needed to do today, which was no simple ask, beat the 2nd best team in the league. We still can't win MLS Cup this year, regardless of what Shep Messing says, but I'll still support us right til the end.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 2-3 hrs ago I had a fleeting thought "hmm, I wonder if we should have a playoffs thread?"

But I figured for one reason or another that would not be warranted.

And the main reason proved true... we got dumped out of the playoffs on our first attempt at Columbus.

Crazy end to the game but we were generally the 2nd best team on the field today.

This team has been losing... not only too many games but too many fans. They're seriously testing my dedication.

See y'all next season? (whatever that might look like in a world overrun by Covid)

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Next season will be our year.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure don’t like the Crew very much but you have to give them credit for what they did this season, especially in the playoffs and cup final.And the spontaneous joy that they showed tonight was pure.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Off-season signings will tell us more about if there really is a plan for the future.