2020 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting aside whether you think it was or wasn’t a goal, the fact is that we won because of a blunder by the opponent’s goalie and not from our play. It should’ve been a goalless draw. Hope the new guys help.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It was not a legit goal. Don’t know what the ref was thinking/seeing there.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't score any earned or illegitimate goals last night in a 1-0 loss at Philadelphia. Kacper Przybylko scored the only goal in the 31st minute. Last year was his first year in MLS, and he tied for fifth with 15 goals. Philadelphia had small advantages in shots (10 to 8), shots on target (4 to 3), and possession (51.6% to 48.4%).

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this on dvr late last night. Actually I literally slept through much of the first half. But no worries, I woke up for the second half, and so did the team... big time. We probably should have equalized, given The effort we put in, and the danger we caused. But so be it.

5. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half was like watching paint dry with the added pleasure of listening to Shep Messing explain to you what you’re actually watching. Second half was at least more fun to watch. Of course Shep asking why they didn’t play like that in the first half. Gee Shep, maybe it was the 4 subs they made?
    Which just further goes to point out how Armas need to go. Maybe he’s a good HS coach but not cut out for professional players.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got a 1-1 draw at New England. The goals were close together with Omir Fernandez giving us the lead in the 35th minute and Gustavo Bou scoring in the 41st minute. New England has Alexander Buttner, who played for several European clubs including scoring 2 goals in 13 games for Manchester United. 2 goals in 13 games is good because he's a defender. He played 1 game for the Netherlands U-19 and 6 games for their U-20, but hasn't played a senior national team game. Tim Parker got a straight red in the 90+2nd minute. There weren't any yellows. New England led in shots (14 to 8), shots on goal (5 to 4), possession percentage (60.6 to 39.4), passing accuracy (78 percent to 63 percent), and total passes (515 to 332, which is 60.8 percent to 39.2 percent). The possession percentage and passes percentage are normally close. Since New England had better statistics, we didn't deserve to win. Each club has 11 points from 8 games. We're fifth in the East and they're six because we win the wins tiebreaker, but their goal differential is better at +1 to our -2. We have one more win and two more losses than New England, and they have three more draws. New England has the most draws in MLS with 5.

7. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve had better teams in the past and couldn’t get results so I’ll take the tie

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik Sorga scored the only goal in the 90+8th minute of D.C.'s 1-0 win at Red Bull Arena.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched it. We hosted a team decimated by injuries. We bested them in stats only. Then just when it looked like we were heading for a disappointing draw, we allowed them to score off a corner at the death.

I had a hunch it was not going well when our young CB Sean Nealis from L.I. was heading towards earning POTM by making 2 goal saving blocks a few yards from our goal.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This hit my email inbox this morning!
    https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/post/2020/09/04/new-york-red-bulls-part-ways-chris-armas

Overall I'm not totally surprised, but about the timing, so early after the restart, yes I'm a a bit surprised.

I generally liked Armas, although I'm not sure he was the best head coach.

Something probably went on behind the scenes, perhaps between him and Thelwell, who's the new Sporting Director?

Also could be he was having difficulty squeezing blood from a stone, in particular with a less than experienced or lethal strike force?

Who knows. But now we wait and see if they have someone up their sleeves... hopefully.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but isn't he still our current RB2 coach? And if so, why then wouldn't they just name him immediately?

13. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always felt Thewell wanted a new coach but Covid messed up his plans. Anyway, Armas needed to go and good job of also letting CJ Brown go as well. That was an Armas hire. I doubt they’ll give the job to Woly permanently. They could easily have fired Armas prior to the season and given it to Wolyniec. Would’ve been a popular move and satisfied the fanbase. Leads me to think they ultimately want to bring someone else in.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley Carnell is the new coach. He's 43. He was a defender for several Germany clubs. He got 42 caps from 1997 through 2010 for the South African national team including playing in World Cup 2002. His first game coaching us went poorly. The Red Bulls had 54.8 percent of the possession but no shots on target in a 3-0 loss hosting Philadelphia.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was bad. So much for the new coach bounce.

We do a few things well like passing out from the back, but our offense is completely anemic. And they exposed our defensive weakness tonight.

I will keep watching and supporting, but it’s getting harder and harder.

16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah Armas was the problem.

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hey guys! Ain't been around in a bit but as I got more downtime late at night, I go to watch RBNY and espn plus blocks it, so here I am trying to get updates on the season.

18. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose they’ll get a coach from the UK. When you’re this bad and the performance stinks, the mind tends to wander. With the red advertising on the lower bowl, all I could think of watching the game was....so this is what Redbull arena would look like with red seats instead lol

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So I am stuck watch RB2 games?

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in the Bronx, how come you can't watch on MSG? ESPN Plus blacks out games that are on TV for you.

Aaron Long scored in the 29th, Daniel Royer scored in the 60th, Kaku assisted on both goals, and we won 2-0 at D.C. D.C. had 62.4 percent of the possession, but we had more shots (10 to 8) and shots on target (6 to 5). https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2020-09-12-dc-united-vs-new-york-red-bulls/boxscore is the box score. The only cards for either club were yellows for Long and Casseres. Meara hurt his knee and left in the 62nd minute, so it was a combined clean sheet.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #46 Deadtigers, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Oh sorry, I moved to Buffalo, I am just ashamed to admit it. Looks like ESPN blacks out all NY state games. Are they on the Fox sports go app or just Fox Sports.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 NorthBank, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    That was a nice match to watch. Good to finally get a win, even if it was against a crap team. But then again we've been kinda crap as well since the restart.

And it completed a fun trifecta of my club teams winning this weekend with scorelines of 3-0, 2-0 & 9-1. (can you guess who that last one was by?)

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls aren't on Fox anything. YES is partially owned by Fox, and Fox Sports Go has NYCFC. https://www.msggo.com/ lets you watch the Red Bulls if you log in through a TV provider than you get MSG. If you don't get MSG on TV, I don't think there's any legal way to watch. Do you get any RSNs from New York City?

Haris Medunjanin scored the only goal in the 85th minute as we lost 1-0 hosting FC Cincinnati. FC Cincinnati had more shots, shots on target, corner kicks, and possession; and fewer fouls and yellow card; so we didn't play well. We had 2 shots on target, with 1 by Casseres and 1 by Duncan. None of our three forwards had a shot on target. White had 3 missed or blocked, Royer had 2 missed or blocked, and Kaku didn't shoot.

We're eighth of fourteen in the East in points and points per game. In 12 games we have only 14 points, and only 9 goals, which is 0.75 per game.

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why was the Columbus game cancelled?

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting Robles go is looking a bit stupid right now. Meara is *maybe* ready for a shot as #1 but Jensen is surprisingly not a good enough #2. For one thing , there’s absolutely no excuse for letting a corner kick directly into your own net.