2020 Quakes -Looking ahead to next season

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by tvromero, Oct 7, 2019.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    People like bobbleheads. Quakes should have more giveaways than they do. :)

And Spartan occasionally saw large crowds in the 25k range for Galaxy games, which is roughly half what Galaxy games now regularly command at Stanford.

The current Quakes are significantly better-attended than the Donovan-era Quakes (which frequently drew fewer than 5k), though that is in large measure a result of the elevated profile of the entire league. However, it is also the result of more effective local advertising by the FO than during the Spartan era.

Results on the pitch have some correlation with attendance, but it's far from 1:1.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Alright Don, in honor of your unwavering commitment to our team and because you just motivated me to grab a couple of tix for the opener, I have decided not to utter a single further negative sentiment about the Quakes until after the opener.

Cheers!

SeaJayBee repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Text me and I'll buy you a brew at LOBINA. :)

Quakes05 repped this.
  4. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we'll be fine this season, better than last season and right in the thick of it. The lack of change to the roster is unnerving, but Almeyda will figure out what works best. Probably some reinforcements arrive in the summer.

I have a lot of faith in Almeyda's ability.

I also think competition for playing time will be fierce and elevate the overall performance. There is also more time for everyone to understand the nuances of how Almeyda wants to play defensively. Which is key imo. When we hit the skids at the end of last season, nobody but Wondo could score... but we also gave up a ton of soft goals in tight games to put us behind the eightball.

SeaJayBee, Quakes05 and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking repped this.
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking repped this.
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love your optimism dude.

You're right that there is nuance and complexity to our defensive scheme. Another preseason with Almeyda may well make us better in that regard.

Also, there is complexity and nuance to our attacking plans. Certain players are designated to attack at certain times and in a particular order. It could well be that another preseason with Almeyda will help in that regard also.

And now for my obligatory negativity and doomsaying.

We will play a different formation this season than last season, which will mean a lot of changes to the defensive work. The offense should benefit from using two strikers. Both Wondo and Hoesen play better with a partner. But only one d-mid is going to hurt us in defense, in transition, and in possession and control of the center of the pitch.

I appreciate your upbeat analysis. I hope like hell that you are right. But I think we're going to get slagged out of the gate. It will take us five or six games to settle in, at least.

</Eeyore>

Go Quakes!!
    Fisher OUT!!

- Mark

9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Could the article have been more descriptive about what it was presenting? Sure. It benefits everyone when more information is given so that if others are inclined to do more research, they have the foundational stuff.

But we're talking about a strength of schedule projection here. It has zero impact on anything outside of MLS (and barely any impact at all within it). If you don't agree with it, don't agree with it. But your complaints make it sound more as if you just don't understand the purpose of these things in the first place. That's on you, I'm afraid.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    i made it very clear that I understand the purpose in this section that you didn’t quote.

you must not have read down that far

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2in10 repped this.
  12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1231424945504313345 is not a valid tweet id

part 2

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    5 days.

tenfourteen and Earthshaker repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Monday 2/24 -- FLAG RAISING (5:30 P.M.)Earthquakes Chief Operating Officer Jared Shawlee will visit Downtown San Jose, where he will be speaking prior to the San Jose flag-raising ceremony at City Hall. This event is free and open to the public. The event will follow with a happy hour after the ceremony at 4th Street Pizza starting at 6:30 p.m.

I'm going to try to make this (in the plaza out front of City Hall). Last time (two years ago, I believe), the happy hour at San Pedro Square Market was quite fun. (Parking is available under City Hall or in the adjacent Fourth Street Garage. 4th Street Pizza is right across the street).

Qwiberg and Tarbell were the featured players at the 2018 ceremony, so I would not recommend this event to current players. :)

2in10 and DotMPP repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent article. It didn't sugar coat the fact that there are questions marks in an area which struggled with the new playing style of Alymeda.

Lima was questionable last year and you can't place all of the blame on Vako. Still, I would rather move Vako into the middle and find more of a two way player in front of Lima.

Tommy was solid at right back, but it suspect against speed and is aerial is average at best.

Lopez struggled and was not ready for starting until later in the year.

So, the best thing is that everyone is a year older which is usually a good thing for a defender. Let's see if it translate to improvement on the field.

18. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    3 days.

20. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My beloved mom and daughter wanted to go to Saturdays opening match, but I told them it was the "guys only" for the opener, LOL! Alas, they'll be at other Quakes matches this season :thumbsup:

Beerking repped this.
  21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have to sit with you ;)

Antonio2020 and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeeaaaaah, I know. They'll be other matches :thumbsup:

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're gonna give your daughter the bobblehead, right?

Antonio2020 repped this.
  24. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course DG ;)