2020 Quakes -Looking ahead to next season

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by tvromero, Oct 7, 2019.

1. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    All,

I wanted to start the topic of what changes are needed for the 2020 Quakes. I'm assuming the Coaching Staff stays, otherwise is a start of again year.

Below are the lineups and benches for the first and last games of the season. The main item I see here is that there are almost identical 18 players from the start to finish.

San Jose Earthquakes vs Montreal Impact - 3/2/19
    G Daniel Vega D Nick Lima D Guram Kashia D Harold Cummings D Marcos López M Cristian Espinoza M Judson M Aníbal Godoy M Valeri Qazaishvili F Magnus Eriksson F Chris Wondolowski

Bench:
    G Andrew Tarbell M Shea Salinas F Danny Hoesen D Tommy Thompson D Paul Marie M Jackson Yueill D Florian Jungwirth

Portland Timbers vs San Jose Earthquakes - 10/6/19
    G Daniel Vega D Nick Lima D Guram Kashia D Florian Jungwirth D Marcos López M Judson M Jackson Yueill M Cristian Espinoza M Magnus Eriksson M Valeri Qazaishvili F Chris Wondolowski
    Bench:
    G Andrew Tarbell F Danny Hoesen M Andrés Ríos D Harold Cummings M Shea Salinas M Aníbal Godoy M Carlos Fierro

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I didn't see the Portland game and from other posters I gather that Kashia was not very good, neither was Lopez.

I will start with the who we should keep and who I think is expendable. I will start with a caveat: I don't know the contract situations available here so I may be keeping players we need to renegotiate for (I know Espinoza is on a loan deal, and I will not that one).

Keep:
    Espinoza (we need to buy his contract and I believe he is DP Level worthy)
    Wondo (bring him back one more year).
    Yueill
    Thompson
    Lima
    Vako
    Ericsson (can't believe I'm typing that)
    Rios (he has shown me enough)
    Jungwirth
    Judson (as a backup)
    Hoesen (as a backup)
    Lopez (as a backup, unless he is a loan deal and he would be too expensive, definitely not ready to start just yet and still a project)
    JT Marcinkowski
    Salinas (great depth)

Drop:
    Kashia
    Cummings
    Alfolter
    Godoy (already gone)
    Calvillo (didn't seem at all ready the minutes he played)
    Fierro (not good enough)
    Ockford
    Tarbell
    Vega

Keep the remaining kids (including Marie who I am little bit on the fence about)

So we need nine new players, two quality Center Backs, another center mid MLS starter capability, another proven forward, a starting MLS caliber Goalie. And a proven left back. (Those are six quality players).

The remaining three can be college draft, FA's from other teams.

A lot of work. We got close and close doesn't quite count outside of horseshoes and grenades.

TallSierra, markmcf8 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fisher needs to go.

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: I've generally been pretty happy with Vega. He's had some great moments.

D: Jungwirth is the biggest difference between those two lineups in my mind; he's been pretty solid almost all the time. I'd be OK with keeping Kashia, but in an ideal world he'd ride pine as some better partner for Jungwirth would be hired. When TT couldn't start due to suspension, we had to slot in Lopez and I really didn't feel he was up to the task. Lima was on the "wrong" side as a result too, which didn't help matters. I think TT and Lima are doing well as attacking fullbacks, and want to see that continue.

M: Absolutely agree about Espinosa - he deserves the #10 jersey and a DP slot. Yueill, Ericsson, and Vako are all keepers, but I'd look for a replacement for Judson.

F: Wondo has been really streaky - when he's hot, he's so hot, but he disappears for weeks at a time. Hoesen has had some great moments. But I think we really could use someone new in the F spot.

Overall I think we have a fairly good group, and they had some great games in the middle of the season. I'd love to see a highly talented individual or two added to the roster. But it would have to be the kind who makes everyone around them better, not the kind of superstar who just wants to be pampered and let to do his thing. I'm sure Almeyda would be good at identifying the right kind of personality for that. I think the biggest failing this year was the guys just got tired by the ends of games. Almeyda's system might not be compatible with the flight schedule and time zone changes of MLS, as it demands too much physically from the players to keep that 1-1 marking.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please splash the cash for a goal scoring center midfielder. haha yeah right

Beerking, TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has a season ending press conference been announced?

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Starring Fisher?

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nice to hear his thoughts on what he wants out of owning the Quakes.

Only if the Quakes had half the payroll of the A’s.

TallSierra repped this.
  9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice list! As opposed to a few on the Portland game thread, I don't see this as a rebuilding year (unlike last year). We were one game away from the playoffs. Better, but still not good enough.

The top four players in goal and assists were Wondo, Vako, Espinoza, and Eriksson. All four should return.

Of the younger contingent, I think Yuell and Thompson show that they can fit into Almeyda's system. Lopez show signs and Lima is a big question mark. All of them should return, but we need better play out of our left back position (sound familar) and Tommy's ability to play a full 90 is concerning in the long wrong.

Flo should return, but we need an upgrade at both centerback positions.

I liked enough of Rios to warrant another year.

Judson and Vega were my biggest surprises (in a good way). They should be back and competing for a starting job.

Agree with the drop list except for Vega (I believe Ockford is already gone).

They did enough for me to come back next year, but we need to show improvements by signing better quality and making the playoffs.

10. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The first thing is to keep Almeyda or find another good coach.

Then for the roster, we seriously need at least three major upgrades to win these tight games we had a habit to lose.

Forward - Wondo has been contributing but to be honest, beyond that one touch each game that may give you a goal at best, we need more from that position. Hoesen looked to be that new forward potentially but not any more. I am not sure Rios will be the one either.

Offensive CM (or whatever position Magnus is playing) - Magnus did a decent job directing the attack this season but his lack of mobility and dribbling capability showed in critical moments. He is not going to be the game changer that we need to unlock these tight games.

Left Back - When was the last time we had a proper left back? We keep playing "inverted" LBs and the opponents force our right footed LBs to turn around and pass the ball to the middle. How many times did the ball get intercepted in the midfield because of that? Also, if we keep Vako or want to deploy an inverted winger on the left, we need someone to be threat overlapping on the left. That keeps the other team honest and make them think twice before committing three players on Vako every time.

We often look soft and physically intimidated (and the refs allow it), but I think we can increase mobility and quickness of thoughts to overcome.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread! Thanks!!

I think that Almeyda is leaving us. So assume that is my belief for the rest of this skreed.

If Wondo wants to play another year, he should get to play another year. It's his call. BUT, if he stays, then we need to play a two or three forward formation. Of course, I assume that Almeyda is gone. Thus we need a coach dedicated to a two or three forward formation: 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2.

I want to keep Espinosa, if at all possible. We should be willing to spend top dollar for him. We need to keep Flo, again, splash cash if necessary. I want to keep TT, Lima, Bersano, Jackson, Cummings, and Luis Felipe I want to keep Shea if he's willing to lace them up for us again. I want to keep Judson, and with Godoy going, I'm sure that we will.

Vega can stay if we use him as a mentor and not a starter. We should be starting Bersano or JT and Vega should help coach them and bring them along.

Probably keep Calvillo and Cowell.

Magnus needs to go. I don't care if his contract is up or not. Get him the hell off the books, whatever it takes. Yes he was better this season, but still not nearly good enough.

Vako and Kashia need to go. They just aren’t good enough, and overpaid for what they are.

Hoesen needs to go. He’s just not quite good enough.

Fierro and Rios need to go.

Affolter needs to go, should have been ditched long ago.

Lopez and Paul Marie can go too. We ought to be able to do much better than either of them.

But ... this is all academic. The first order of business is whether Matias stays or not. If he wants to go, then he goes, but for a big bag of cash. $3M is what Monterrey is willing to pay him for a salary. We need to get at least $8M to $10M for him, and then plow all of that cash back into the team.

IF Almeyda goes, then Jesse goes too. IF Jesse goes, then we make Chris Leitch GM and we don't do a search. CL is the last guy to lead us to the playoffs, we should give him the reins.

But no matter what, I'm not giving the team or the league another damn penny until I see actual improvement. Yeah, we improved this season, but we fell apart at the end. If Matias leaves, then this will be just one more season of failure. If Matias stays, and can build on what we did this season, then I might count it as successful.

If Matias does leave us, then this season was a failure, and we will not be able to build on his style and theories. So it will have been a complete waste, except that for a stretch there we didn’t suck.

GO Quakes!!

- Mark

TallSierra and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok Quakes fans , the 2020 preseason in only two months away!

Looking at the positives, Almeyda improved the team quite a bit when comparing it to Stahre’s 2018 fiasco.

I think if think if the Quakes sign some defensive help as well as a dynamic defensive mid and a forward, they could very well improve a great deal on 2019.

We need to improve in at least 5-6 positions!

Any predictions for the upcoming season?

Seismothusiast repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Heavy drinking and heartbreak.

markmcf8, bsman, SeaJayBee and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict you will still be obsessed with player salaries.
    Hey, you asked.:)

15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think MLS has scheduling, travel, and weather considerations over its 34 game season which Almeyda has to allow for in his lineups. The team can be in great physical shape, but still not be able to keep it up over an entire MLS season. This means the team needs enough players who are fit and good enough to rotate in off the bench.

There is also no excuse for poor throw-ins. As silly as it sounds, if players need to practice that, then practice that! I can think of at least two games where that contributed to lost points.

Along the same lines, I don't care how "passionate" a player is - with MLS refs there are plenty of opportunities to get yellow cards without earning additional "stupid" yellows for dissent or other dumb decisions.

TallSierra and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "I hope the little darling didn't hear something he hadn't heard before."
    -- Jerry Jones (on being informed his coach was penalized 15 yards for "abusive language" toward the ref)

17. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have to know your audience. Espinoza and Almeyda both got suspended more than once, and I think it hurt the team. Each could have prevented at least one of those suspensions. In a year where a couple of points made the difference at the end, such lapses can be consequential.

18. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Despite the end of the season, there is little doubt that there was significant improvement over the 2018 team. That said, I think there is little doubt that the Quakes need new blood at every area of the pitch, even if it is only depth at certain positions. Hats off to Magnus for his much improved play under this coach, but the fact is that the team needs a skilled leader in the position. The back needs a dominating player or two. At forward, we also need help. Wondo is well past his prime although there is little doubt that he was valuable this year. But he should not be looked to for carrying the scoring load. We do need a forward who can not only score, but can also hold the ball going head to head with any back in the league. Depth at each position is also so important in MLS. Missing any one player should not diminish the team's ability to control a game.

markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fixed your post!.:)

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hadn’t seen this thread...what needs to change?

Sign a good Gk , Two good defenders a playmaking midfielder and a goal scoring forward!

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just merged two threads into one, both discussing the next season and how much better it will be! Carry on.

markmcf8 and falvo repped this.
  22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The next big change will be the expansion draft on November 19th. Only one player can be selected from any given team, and there s the possibility that none of our players are selected. We can protect 12 players. Lists will be released on the 16th, so we should know whether and Espinoza deal is still alive or dead at that point. I have not read this in any of the 2019 articles, but in previous years Generation Adidas and Homegrown players were exempt. In a player is graduating from GA status they would not be protected. Assuming those rules (and that Tarbel and Yueill will no longer be GA) here are what I predict our selections would be. It's actually hard to get to 12 crucial players, so I think the team will protect assets and Almeysa's priorities.

Protected
    1. Eriksson
    2. Espinoza*
    3. Fierro
    4. Kashia
    5. Jungwirth
    6. Judson
    7. Rios
    8. Salinas
    9. Vako
    10. Vega
    11. Wondo
    12. Yueill*

Exempt
    Akanyirige (HG)
    Cowell (HG)
    Fuentes (HG)
    Haji (GA)
    Lima (HG)
    Marcinkowski (HG)
    Thompson (HG)

Exposed
    Hoesen* (Does not seem to be in MA's plans, but protect if Espinoza is not signed or Yueill is still GA)
    Cummings** (same as Hoesen if both scenarios happen)
    Affolter
    Bersono
    Calvillo
    Fillipe
    Lopez
    Marie
    Ockford
    Partida
    Tarbell

This is not a very inspiring list, so we may get passed over. If Hoesen or Cumming are exposed then maybe. Someone might take a flyer on Tarbell an assess t was bad coaching.

don gagliardi repped this.
  23. T-1000

T-1000 Member

SJ Eearthquakes
    United States
    Jan 24, 2019
    I really don't understand the Vako love. He had a stretch of 4 or 5 good games, but the rest he is just pure garbage. He dribbles into double teams. He never makes the needed pass. He'll just try to launch a shot into a defender after his predictable move of dribble to the right... dribble, dribble, dribble... launch a shot into triple coverage.

There has been so many goals or chances given up because he doesn't track his man and let him run free in front of the box.

I hope he gets picked up in the expansion draft and get rid of his DP status and terrible contract.

24. T-1000

T-1000 Member

SJ Eearthquakes
    United States
    Jan 24, 2019
    I think they tried playing Flo as a defensive mid before. Maybe get some new center backs and move Flo up into the Judson/Godoy spot. He may not have the ball handling skills of Godoy, but Yueill should be able to handle that.

25. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    ok, my two cents

Must Do:
    - IMO Our fortunes turned when Godoy went down in his international stint and never really came back, at this point Judson was full time. There was a transition time here where Yueill went from offensive MF and distribution to having to stay more central and play more defense, Judson is terrible for distribution so we essentially lost any attack from the middle. We need a replacement for Judson that can play big in the middle and free Yueill to move up.
    - We need to upgrade Magnus - This might then mitigate a need for a new forward
    - We need to retain Espinoza
    - build depth at the forward and middle spine positions.

Questions:
    - I have no idea where Rios or Fierro fit in for 2020. Neither seemed very useful in 2019 so maybe there is a better spot for them or they are slated to replace players expected to leave (Espinoza, Yueill, Judson, Vako, Wondo)
    - I am okay with Vega for another season. I would not spend major money on a GK unless they are a sure thing and going to stay for awhile.
    - If we keep Hosen then he needs a lot more minutes
    - I would keep Shea as he is cheap.
    - I am mixed on Wondo as he brings limited skills to the team - standing in front of the goal, plus he was good at corner kick defense. He was below average in every other aspect for offense.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.