2020 Preseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    In addition to the Ticketmaster link above, you can now access your tix directly from the MLS app. Just set the 'Pids as your team. Ticketmaster account is linked to MLS app account (if same email address).

JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, that's actually pretty slick. Thanks for the heads up!

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  4. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea, I thought so to. The only difference (at first glance)... It doesn't appear that you can download the tix onto your phone's ticket "wallet" via the MLS app (something you CAN do via Ticketmaster). Maybe I missed it tho.

#FirstWorldProblems

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It gave me the option on my iPhone in the MLS app.

Maarten van 242 repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't see my tickets but I only accepted them from C38 today, I wonder if that is why.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Got an email from my ticket rep right after I figured out how to to do it. Very convenient and appreciated way of dealing with tickets.

I've enjoyed electronic tickets since the Rapids began using Flashseats. I might have left paper tickets at home, but I am very unlikely to leave my phone anywhere but in my pocket when I leave the house.

8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I liked flashseats. This new system I haven't quite figured out yet.

9. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    ESPN Power Rankings have us at 17. Would have thought a bit higher, but let's get a few wins going and then I will whine.

However, they had us at 13 at the end of last year and 17 now. So, somehow we got worse (as compared to others)? I find that hard to believe. Which means I am going to whine a little bit before we get a few wins. ;)

rod.

Paranoid Coyote and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    At least this ranking still has us around the playoff contention level (14 teams make the playoffs). Pretty much everybody (press-wise) is super low on the Rapids this year. And I don't really understand it. They all think we are going to be taking a step backwards.

Plus, I've seen a lot of people talking out of both sides of their mouths...."Oh the Rapids were one of the more exciting teams to watch towards the end of the season....but that's unsustainable...." Or my favorite: "I looked at the 'underlying numbers' and I just don't see them repeating."

I know I have bias towards the Rapids, but I can usually get past that and have fair and honest discussions/critiques towards the team. But man, I don't see why everyone thinks we're gonna just drop off a cliff....that the people that produced last year won't be able to do it again, or that the new additions won't make us a better team than last year.

I honestly think (and I'll eat these words if necessary at the end of the season) that 2020 is going to be one of the better years the Rapids have had in a long while. Will we do some dumb stuff? Heck yes. We're the Rapids. It can't be a Rapids season without headscratchers.

But man, I think we're gonna surprise a lot of people around the league this year. Overall I think the on-field stuff is going to be some of the best the team has ever played too.

SccrDon, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Doyle FTW there. He also predicted us to finish behind Nashville, but put Nashville's O/U and 35 and ours at 45.

If we're wrong and the experts are largely right, then heads need to roll in the FO. If we're right and the experts are largely wrong, then the FO deserves kudos for flying under the radar.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the writers "low-ball" articles over anything else. Any who provide details about Rapids you quickly figure out know squat about the team, Soccer or both. ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Fact is nobody has a freaking clue. But articles need to be written and posts made. Good fun, but nothing to take seriously.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "I looked at last year and saw the Rapids didn't convert a single point after attempt all season -- definitely not a playoff team this year."

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree completely. It is the logic that drives me nuts. If they shiw things that aren't great and put us low, then so be it. Saying we were pretty good last year and got better doesn't imply a drop.

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd also rather be rated low and do better than be hyped and underdeliver.

The praise during the Pareja years seemed somewhat unwarranted...the Rapids fit in to writers' ideas of what an up and coming team should look like. At this point, all I care about is that we Rapids fans see good (and winning) soccer. It's been too long and it's too hard watching crap year after year.

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  17. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    What really ticks me off about ESPN+ blocking the Rapids, is that I'm sitting over 200 (crow-flyin') miles away in Grand Jct., and we're blocked. If they held to that standard, people in New York would have, along with NYFC & RBNY, New England, Philly, and DC all blocked. Of course I'm exactly (within 2 miles) the same distance from Rio Tinto as I am from Dick's -- no problem there, I can watch all the Fake Salt Lake matches I want. Grrrrrrrr.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It really stinks that the ESPN+ games *remain* blocked even well after the game.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It will be weird if we can't watch all season in our homes. And the Rapids are the national TV game like once a decade.

m vann, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a part of me that's like....I'd rather be good and not seen than bad and seen all the time. The product has been so awful the past few years I was sorry and embarrassed that product was on display. This whole TV saga sucks. It sucks for Avs, Nugs, and now Rapids. Since the games haven't been on TV and the Avs and Nugs have been so good, it has forced me to go to more games. It's almost as if I have to go see the hype. I've been to more and Avs and Nugs games this season because they aren't on TV than I have in 5 years combined. Even as a STH, I've been to fewer and fewer Rapids games over the last 3 years due to coaching conflicts. In a f***ed up selfish way, I kinda, sorta hope they aren't on TV and I will be forced to go to more live games. I want to be forced to squeeze in those Rapids games between coaching because they are good and worth the investment.

AlbertCamus and Maarten van 242 repped this.
  21. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    Yea, I generally agree with this logic and have similar feelings about it. Though, honestly, my most preferred outcome still has every damn game on cable TV. Regardless, for people like us who track the Rapids, are on BigSoccer, and who are invested Rapids fans (literally, as with STH's, and figuratively, as with anyone who watches most/every game), it's probably all fine. We'll go to more games, etc. and the lack of TV coverage probably won't diminish our fandom much at all. But since people like us can only fill a small fraction of The Dick, my primary concern is with how this TV blackout will distance and/or disenfranchise the borderline Rapids fan market. We could barely get a healthy crowd to attend games even when Altitude aired weekly (and sometimes daily) TV hype by carrying all games, their replays, and all associated coverage (pregame shows, etc.). That stuff had to stir the interest pot in borderline fans at least some, right? So, what's gonna happen to these people when there's not a peep on TV about the Rapids? Time will tell. For some, game attendance will increase (just so they can see it). For others, they'll tune out all together and disappear. The question is will the former out-pace the latter. Based on the very lethargic fanbase attention we've already seen for decades, I don't have a good feeling about this outcome. Hope I'm wrong!
    My 3 cents.

AlbertCamus and m vann repped this.
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Beta testing the new outfit?
    upload_2020-2-27_19-32-44.jpeg

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%. I couldn't agree more with you. We have nearly the same concerns and feelings about the situation. Sometime I forget that we represent a small fraction of the fan base who are in-tune, passionate, and actually give a shit. I think butts in the stands and TV viewership comes with a winning product. We haven't had a winning product. People will come out and support a winner. I think everything hinges on that.

25. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    This will go down as our first undefeated season.

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.