2020 Preseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think this is the lineup:

irwin
    rosenberry-abubakar-moor-wynne
    price-acosta
    nicholson-mezquida-shinyahiski
    kamara

Edit:

Looks like defensively they are 4-2-3-1 ish to start.

Vs the Fire defensively they seemed to drop in to a 4-4-2 with Naimli up with Kamara.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Where's the TFC guy...Benezet? Is he not playing yet?

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    14' Delay of game as it's hailing. In LA?

Rapids had not been as fluid in this game as the one vs the Fire.

4. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the broken nose injury to Benezet is keeping him out for a while.

Are 18 players allowed to dress for away games? If so, there are some decent players who might not even make the Rapids bench on occasion. I like how there is good competition for almost every position, especially the wingers. I hope that younger players such as Lewis, Bassett, Trusty, Shinyashiki and others still get valuable playing time over the course of the season.

I would assume Vines will start over Wynne normally and Namli over Mezquida, otherwise, this does look like "starters", although eventually maybe Benezet and Trusty might become more regular starters. Also, who is better, Nicholson, Lewis or Rubio? Lots of choices. Good quality bench players this season.

COMtnGuy and Totoro repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I think TFC is a lot better than the Fire. They know their system under Vanney.

Rubio generally plays centrally whereas Nicholson and Lewis wide.

It looks like there will be a lot of competition for time on the wings with Lewis, Nicholson, Benezet and Shinyashiki all in the mix. A lot of good choices there.

Andy126 repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ah, did not know Benezet broke his nose.

Last week Nicholson added a lot with his speed. Constant threat on long runs. Helped open the field. Did a lot of work defensively as well. I think they'll rotate all those guys but Nicholson will get a lot of work.

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Are they coming back? Wonder if there's lightning, too.

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rapids twitter says players have returned to the field for warmups.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    There's an ad at the stadium for "ActivePDF." Do I want to know what that is? Sounds like a malware-launching platform.

rapidogordo, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    TFC should have scored again. Delgado made a run in behind Moor on a counter off a turnover.

Is that going to be a theme of the season, runners in behind Moor for run-of-play goals, and runners in front of Trusty for set piece goals?

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    If Nicholson could finish he'd...probably be making a lot more money for some team in the British Isles somewhere.

SccrDon, rapidogordo and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Shinyashiki is doing the most damage out there. Besides the goal, sent a good cross to Nicholson at the far post, and just made a good run and was just off with a cutback to Kamara.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rapids with a lot more possession after the weather break.

14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    From the halftime stadium audio, sounds like another weather delay.

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That's it, game called at halftime due to weather.

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    You could have covered Howard with this:

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Nothing really new or insightful in this for most who post here, but you will learn which player is the team barber.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Well, less than a week till the Rapids face DC United at Audi Field. Time to start processing what we've seen in the preseason.

At point it seems the Rapids may be similar to what they were much of last season - able to score but likely to concede.

I was hopeful that they would continue on the path that Fraser began, but I am concerned now that at the beginning of the season (at least) they will give up goals at too high of a rate to get three points on a regular basis. I base this off of what I saw in the latest friendly v TFC. It was easy to break the Rapids' lines and then get players free on the far post. It was surprising that more goals weren't conceded.

Yes, TFC made it to the MLS Cup final last season, so they should father along than the Rapids at this point. But it was alarming.

I am not convinced that Moor is going to be able be effective physically at this point in his career. And it appears that Trusty isn't ready - at least yet - to pair with Abubakar. It seems there are no other possibilities at this point. Ford is still rehabbing and Rwatubyaye and Afamefuna appear not to be ready for MLS yet.

On the other end of the pitch, it looks like the Rapids will be able to score at least as well as they did last season and perhaps more frequently from the run of play. Namli appears to have quickly adopted to the Rapids and is displaying the attributes Pádraig stated he'd bring.

We haven't had much of a look at Benezet yet due to his broken nose, but I would suspect that he's going to really push Nicholson and the other wingers for playing time while bringing more more scoring ability.

Additionally there are the returnees - Kamara, Rubio abnd Shinyashiki - that all were capable scorers last season.

So, my prediction for the first few months are mixed results. The Rapids will often score enough to get three points, but will concede to an extent that they will end up with only one and sometimes none.

Hopefully, Fraser &Co. will be able to work out a solution to the defensive issues in the not too distant future.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Logistical questions with the opener next week:

--What's the deal with TV, is it definitely Altitude?

--I will email my ticket guy, but did they say where the season tickets are? Is it "real" ticketmaster, that other ticketmaster system they used in the 2nd half last season, or some other thing?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Good question - I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully the directions aren't in the envelope with the season ticket holder stuff as I can't get them till I enter the first home game. (This is a whole other issue - IMHO)

If Altitude can't work out a deal with the providers, wouldn't it be nice the Rapids and other MLS teams would unblock matches on espn+? At least that would give many of us a chance to see the Rapids in action at DC, etc.

21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its listed on Altitude's schedule

But that works against Altitude. If there are other ways to get the games, then nobody will be pushing Comcast/DISH to make a deal.

I'm sure the Rapids FO wants to lift the blackouts, but I'm also sure their masters at KSE are saying absolutely not.

Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://am.ticketmaster.com/altitudetickets/#/

Totoro repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    JasonMa repped this.
  25. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Prompted me to get it set to record, will be worth noting that it is a 11:00 a.m. (MT) start.