2020 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    The chickens have officially hatched . :)

Ismitje repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Trying to remember if Utah traded their draft picks for allocation money. Have to look it up. Its the only way they could afford these players. Its equivalent to getting Messi and Ronaldo in MLS.

blissett repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    and now they can be counted.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They're good, they're not that good.

I wonder what the furloughed employees of the team think about this.

blissett repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably expendable.

6. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this really does go through, what does it mean for Barnhart? Is she ready to retire? I guess she has a while to ponder the matter.

Reign Man repped this.
  7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably let go. Or put on the bench.

8. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    3rd all time in minutes played (12,513) (top GK)
    8th all time in matches played (140) (top GK)
    1st all time in rosters (163)
    7 year / 1 club player (one of only 7)
    Oldest current player in the league.

blissett and Mills repped this.
  9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My belated two cents about the different players recruited from D1 Arkema… including those who may no longer be coming; with the start to the NWSL season already a month overdue and a July debut still only penciled in, a lot of plans are falling through.

Amanita Diallo is only on loan to Utah, in theory she would go back to PSG for 2020-21 season, so that wouldn’t leave much time for her to play for Royals. She fell off the radar screen at the halfway point of last season (three matches on the bench and three in the stands); for the NT she never got the chance I feel she deserved, she’s a hothead and Diacre doesn’t seem to get along with strong personalities. She’s a player I like a lot – if I had the task of putting together a team here in France she’d be near the top of my recruitment list.

Kadidiatou Diani is a very good player, useful on the right wing or in front of goal, strong, fast, and though she used to have two right feet (she’s reportedly a lefty) her skill set has much improved over the last couple of years. She would be a great fit in NWSL. If she stayed with PSG instead of going to Thorns I think it was part Covid and part that the $450,000 figure in the media wasn’t just insanity (it’s twice Hegerberg’s contract for half the player) it was BS.

It’s hard for me to say anything bad about Shirley Cruz but I think Benstiti was dealing more with his heart than his head when he got her signed. Sure, she’s still a big name and in 2016-17 may have been the best all-around MF in the world, but her knee surgery the following summer was a failure. Patrice Lair hoped against hope for his captain to come good but by December was forced to cut his Lieblingsspielerin saying, "Shirley Cruz at 20%, I’m not interested". Except for a zinger against Panama in OG qualifiers nothing’s happened since that points to her becoming a big deal in the NWSL. I hope I’m wrong.

When I heard about Maroszan and Bouhaddi going to Royals I had the same reaction as SiberianThunderT – what the hell good is it to have OL behind you they let their own stars waltz off to Utah? But it’s not as simple as that - first of all, Reign already had to scrape for an International spot to sign Cruz (another reason the move might have been ill-considered). Also, the two were always going to be a package deal, and as big a fan I am of Sarah, with Murphy installed in Reign goal the move didn’t have as much appeal for either side. Bouhaddi definitely wants to leave Lyon for a new challenge and will probably land in England. Maro may follow her or may stay in Lyon another season.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was missing a lot your insightful posts from the old days, @guignol! :)

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japanese international Yuka Momiki transfers from Nippon TV Beleza to OL Reign:

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ellie Carpenter to Lyon is now confirmed by Thorns and OL.

guignol and blissett repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    On loan?

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I have no idea what the Thorns got back, but hopefully it is a lot. Maybe something related to Diani, who was going to come to Portland before the virus messed up that deal. This is a big blow to Thorns fans.

15. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It IS quite surprising.
    The press release said transfer -- could it be $$$$?

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes a few $$$$, I am sure the price will come in the press in the next few months.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the W-League going to a winter schedule that will put them in an overlap with the NWSL season, this is going to mean fewer US players and Aussie players splitting their time btween the two leagues. This could have played a big part in the Thorns willingness to transfer Carpenter to OL now, as otherwise, for her to stay with the Thorns she would have had to miss most of the W-League season. I have no doubt this was something the Thorns were aware was coming.

blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With rosters freezing soon, here's a glimpse of what player movement will look like after the Challenge Cup:

Klingo3034 repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now apparently they're not. We counted those chickens too soon. Bouhaddi and Marozsan officially have signed new multi-year deals at OL:

blissett repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #221 lil_one, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    The Spirit trade Rose Lavelle to OL Reign for a 2022 first round draft pick, $100,000 in allocation money, and additional money conditioned on Lavelle's future playing status in the NWSL. This deal was made with the understanding that Lavelle is signing overseas for the immediate future, which makes that Lavelle to Manchester City rumor seem real now.

CoachJon, 59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wow! Just wow! Didn’t expect they can do this now.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    it seems she is going overseas to me. Looks like they traded for rights of first refusal should she return.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another big trade might be coming with sources saying O'Hara is headed to DC:

For those not aware, O'Hara lives in DC, so this is the equivalent of Utah letting Sauerbrunn go to Portland.

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.