News: 2020 - Other teams named United and a few that aren’t discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 24, 2020.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC just shipped Walker Zimmerman to Nashville for allocation money and a 2020 international spot.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That's a weird move. Is LAFC going to try and win every game 6-5?

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be another move coming for them to basically sell him to another MLS team. Though the timing is odd, this close to the start of Concachamps.

4. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You guys may think I'm crazy but I'm starting to wonder if Jurgen Klinsmann is a complete fraud maybe.

sitruc and GumbyG repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    @Q*bert Jones III -- it's not a binary proposition -- both may be and likely are, true.:)

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many great players became great coaches? Cruyff; Zidane, ...? How many more adequate players became great coaches?

7. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Klinsmann was a fraud as a player too. He wasn’t a well rounded player or anything; he just had one particular skill, to wit, falling over dramatically in the penalty area at opportune moments.

I’m very curious to watch another famous cheat fail at coaching in Montreal this year.

fatbastard repped this.
  8. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Could this be to make room for Najar? Still seems odd.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC deny any interest in Najar (other than letting him train with them to regain his fitness) - which I suppose is a good of an indication that they are indeed interested in him as any other :D

Winoman repped this.
  10. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the correct version of this question is, "How many great offensive-focused players become great coaches?" It seems like the majority of former players who are successful managers played defensive positions, which makes sense when you think about it. Offensive players have a very narrow, specific focus while on the pitch – get the ball and score or create a scoring chance for a teammate. Whereas defenders (and d-mids, to a large extent) are much more concerned with big-picture strategy in game situations – positional awareness, communicating with teammates, shape of the team, tracking opposing players – all traits that translate well to coaching.

As for adequate players (i.e., players who spend a lot of time on the bench), they have the chance to analyze games in a way that's hard to do from on the field, which also helps when they move into the coaching ranks.

Winoman, song219 and benni... repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree totally. I think it's why so many catchers goon to be major league baseball managers - they get a synoptic view of the field and the action from behind the plate.

12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe we should buy a bunch of Inter Miami memorabilia, they may be worth it a lot of money in the future...

Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go first...
    :)

sitruc, song219 and GumbyG repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You can put it in the vault with the Houston 1836 kits.

JRHokie, sitruc, song219 and 4 others repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That name would be a massive improvement over the current one.

And funny ;) Would open up a whole new palette for jersey colors too.

He'd probably play Smuggler's Blues on opening night and get sued by Glenn Frey's estate.

Winoman repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Back when London was between Wembley’s, I got to go to a Chelsea-Liverpool FA Cup semifinal. It was held at a “neutral site,” Old Trafford, Liverpool’s much hated rival. They were allotted like half the stadium, as opposed to the usual supporter section when visiting in league play. The fans destroyed several bathrooms that day, amongst the carnage.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman repped this.
  20. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    John L repped this.
  21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    That really sucks

22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This is coming from Garber. DCU tried it last year. Other clubs will be brought into line unless the supporters' groups fight back like they did at DCU last year. I feel sorry for the Fire fans, first they were exiled to Bridgeview, then they had shitty ownership, now they have new ownership who wants the Disney experience in Soldier Field.

Dizi, John L and Theopisa repped this.
  23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So, TAS in Lausanne (Court of Arbitration for Sport) has mandated that it's actually FIFA - and not the USSF - who has the power to decide whether or not MLS and other US soccer leagues will have promotion / relegation. The sentence also says that FIFA does not have to enforce all its rules, if they don't want. But they are the ones keeping the knife by the handle. MLS and the A-League are the only leagues in the world (at least professional leagues) that do not have promotion / relegation. But if the A-League are a total of 11 teams all together, MLS is approaching 30 (or 32? I lost count), and that makes you wander if then FIFA will not enforce its decision. Perhaps creating an MLS 1 and MLS 2 with internal promotion / relegation, and maybe also involving USL Pro.
    J-League started as MLS, just one year before MLS, but it now has J-League and J-League 2, plus a bunch of minor series. If they did it, it can be done in the US too.

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This will be an interesting one to watch. While I have no in depth knowledge of Fire games and have only been once in Bridgeview, I am not sure that the contribution to the gameday experience was the same as it was here from the SGs. Bridgeview was a cemetery and CF97 recruited none of their "new" fanbase in Bridgeview to have an experience delivered by Section 8 in the same way as the Ultras/Barra/SEs at RFK which set a bar for the experience for the typical fans. They might not be able to engender the same level of support from the common fan as we saw here. The FO is for sure following some kind of league wide playbook which I find disturbing. The only thing that saved us here is that the supporter section was a morgue for the opener and everyone had a rockin expectation that forced an agreement and the current state we all enjoy right now.

Winoman repped this.