News: 2020 - Other teams named United and a few that aren’t discussion thread.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 24, 2020.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sound like our group was full of shit teams and we were the worst of them.

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I watched last night SKC-Vancouver. DC United does not play the same sport (let alone at the same level)

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So the Marlins have 12 positive cases and the players who were positive played against the Phillies anyway. Is the Florida the universe's blackhole that sucks in all stupidity past, present and future? DeSantis and the other enablers of this catastrophe should be dragged from office and made bed pan orderlies in the covid ward. PPE is optional if they believe it interferes with their "rights."

UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

John L, song219 and griffin1108 repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooters is an important place to be. Perhaps an emergency sometimes even. I'd have to know the full story before passing judgment (of course any ride with the police is a bad ride, so severe lack of judgement there already).

I once gave an NIH patient in some experimental trial a ride back to NIH from the Hooters in Rockville - they had sent him in a cab to watch the NASCAR race because he made the other patients too nervous/anxious while watching the race the previous weekend. I could understand, I make people around me feel that way when I am watching NASCAR or DC United. A lot of yelling at the screen, both bad and good. Best to be done around other fans.
    He assured me the blood-letting tubes attached to him were nothing to be worried about :cool:

TowsonDad, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That is pretty tame for Florida Man.

Winoman repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then last night the scores were 5-2 and 4-1.

Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Hooters? :sleep: It's ok to talk about Magic City now.

9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like Philly, fun team to watch with a young and promising coach... I do not have Espn / Espn2 (Fubo should add them sometimes in August) but I was able to watch their game on DAZN Italia (via VPN)

garbaggio and Winoman repped this.
  10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am so happy to see the arrogant LAFC of Cheatin' Bob out...

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Watched the last 15 minutes of the Orlando-LAFC match. What impressed me the most was that Nani was on the field the entire match and took the last PK and then ran off celebrating. This is a guy that has enjoyed success at the highest levels and here he was, at the end of his career, playing before no fans on a rec league field, just running around like a kid who had scored his first goal. I wish DCU could find some type of veteran, quality leadership like that........ The closest we've had to that was Rooney in 2018 before he took the piss and scooted off to England. Before that, maybe Earnie Stewart was the last example.

Winoman, Eastern Bear and Theopisa repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Listened to the latest edition of "Allocation Disorder" with Tenorio and Stejskal today. One of the topics discussed was how MLS teams overvalue young players when it comes to selling them on. They were discussing how Philly would deal with their two youngsters who are getting Euro attention. One the examples given of how not sell on players was Acosta. They said DCU was offered $8M for him and tried to squeeze out more when he probably was overvalued at $8M. Instead, they lost him on a free to Atlas. They also discussed the issue of newer owners like Blank and Tepper wanting to spend more and that MLS should move forward on that. Of course that means DCU either has get smart or find richer owners. In other words, lack of pro/rel will keep the Leviens of the world in MLS because there is no real downside unless revenue sharing is reduced dramatically.

Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Our shitty owner continues to balk at the idea of others buying in so we're ********ed.

Winoman and John L repped this.
  14. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    They are not only wrong on the facts with Lucho, they are engaging in a bit of revisionist history that is offered with the clarity of hindsight (which clearly they still lack on this player).

DC was clear in the market they were asking in the neighborhood of $15m which most conventional wisdom (reported and commented in many outlets) at the time said was reasonable considering his performance with Rooney and considering other recent deals of MLS players. But something's value is what a buyer is willing to pay.

So what were folks actually willing to pay? Well, let's see: DC had offered him a new contact at $8m - plus incentives. And PSG actually offered more than $9M for him - almost 14% more than this "overvalued" amount of $8M. So saying he was overvalued at $8m at the time is simply wrong - even in hindsight.

More to the point - even after his disastrous performance in the 2019 "cam-pain" with all of the roller-coaster, soap-opera emotion and petulance, he STILL sold for $6.6M.

Whether DC mishandled the trade is a different question. Perhaps they did and certainly Lucho thinks so (but many commentators at the time said DC was right to hold out). But Lucho's case is far from a good example of MLS "overvaluing" young players.

15. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not sure I understand. If PSG offered more than $9m, we rejected it, and ended up getting nothing, I'd say that's the definition of "overvalued."

Whatever it is that we thought he was worth, no other team stepped up to offer it. "$8M' isn't the overvalued amount--it's whatever we were actually hoping to get from PSG.

16. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Lucho, I thought the deal was nixed when the PSG coach said he didn't want him.

17. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    I was responding specifically to the assertion he was overvalued at $8m: ("They said DCU was offered $8M for him and tried to squeeze out more when he probably was overvalued at $8M.")

He might have been overvalued at $15m but he was not overvalued at $8m; all sides were willing at $8m. (Even after his 2019 performance he still got brought almost $7m.)

However, the deal was not as simple as that. Some reports indicated that Tuchel vetoed Acosta in preference for bringing back Rabiot, a player he was already familiar with.

Still other reports indicated the primary reason was over whose end commissions would be paid from. DC wanted a NET figure and PSG was apparently not willing to pay the points for DC to get its net figure.

I think its kinda like a car dealer but in reverse: you think you have a deal with the sales-slug to pay an out-the-door total of X but then you get to the finance maggot and find out its gonna cost X+.

Winoman repped this.
  18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Listened to the Pitch Pass podcast with Pablo Herman Iglesias Maurer today. Interesting on many levels. Pablo says Ben is an underrated coach, has turned garbage into at least a buffet on a number of occasions. He also agreed that DCU was almost unwatchable.

19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Mauer is at least right about the unwatchable part.

MattR, JRHokie, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  20. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Pablo is 100% right about Ben. His record is poor, but since 2010, our FO's spending levels are considerably worse. Ben has had one single half-season (2018 Pt. 2) where the team spent at a median level, and we did spectacularly well and played some beautiful football. Even since Audi Field opened, we've likely spent less than any team except Houston and Dallas, which relies on its academy more than other teams and spends (limited) money there. The guy from France, Dibassy, who was supposed to be our one major defensive signing this year--he just got signed by Minnesota. We aren't adding anyone else this year; even the stingy Red Bulls are signing Europeans.

If you do a head-to-head of what Chicago and Orlando have spent over the last four years, it's kind of shocking that we've consistently placed ahead of them and consistently beaten them. That said, I'd rather go down with full guns blazing like Houston than the way we've played over the last year, and obviously the eight years before LuchaRoo. Playing with DMs as your lone attacker and your #10 is chicken-shit, even if your only options are Sorga and Asad.

We Are West Brom, in a league without relegation. Not sure why so many people expect us to compete with the big boys.

tallguy and John L repped this.
  21. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ben Olsen were a good coach he’d have left this dump years ago. Ben Olsen isn’t a good coach and is only a MLS coach because we don’t have standards.

If Ben Olsen got fired tomorrow and every MLS club needed a coach Ben wouldn’t even get an interview.

Eastern Bear, JRHokie, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I completely agree. I can't think of a single MLS club which would hire him, let alone somewhere else around the world. The thing that pisses me off the most about Olsen is him accepting to lose dignity in keeping coaching a team that obviously doesn't follow him and in keeping serving a club that doesn't really care about success, let alone about him either. It's his rolling comfortably in mediocrity that makes me crazy.

JRHokie and griffin1108 repped this.
  23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    are you talking about United or Washington's pointy-ball team?

24. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    The thing that drives me crazy in these defenses of Ben is that they act like DC cant both have terrible ownership AND terrible coaching. That's exactly what they have. Anybody who's watched this team and has any real knowledge of coaching knows that Ben can only succeed when 1) He has every desired starter healthy and happy and 2)

sitruc and Eastern Bear repped this.
  25. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Oops hit the wrong button...meant to say OR, he coaches in the most defensive negative way which takes little tactical acumen.

He has no ability to adapt to difficult or changing conditions. He's a bad coach with bad ownership