2020 Olympics (including qualifiers)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Jan 2, 2020.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I figured I'd go with a general thread title to cover Olympics football more generally.

Does anyone know the US TV rights situation for men's CONMEBOL and CONCACAF qualifiers?

HomietheClown repped this.
  2. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NBC and Telemundo have the rights for all things Olympics so you'll have to check the apps for that..

As for the Preolimpico, they are tied up with the federation rights holders

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    CONMEBOL pre-olimpico starts today. It looks like we are out of luck in the US compared to previous olympic qualifiers that were fully covered by BeIN (espanol), ESPN Deportes, and Fox in the past ten years. TyC International lists the Colombia-Argentina game that airs tonight at 8:30 EST so perhaps that will air on Fanatiz through their live TyC option or in SD on DTV. The former option is HD but no cloud DVR but at least DTV has a DVR option, which is better for 8:30 on a Saturday night.

4. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Need to add one update. TyC does not say HD next to the channel number but all of the listings say HD. I have not bothered looking at TyC in a long time but the channel does look HD (lower quality HD for DTV but HD). Does anyone know when this happened? Now if DTV will only put GolTV in HD again, that would be a win.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the HD tags on the guide, which DirecTV gets from others, and the channel is now widescreen rather than 4:3, but the image is definitely not HD. And the DBS forum which tracks these things has not mentioned anything about TyC going HD on DTV.

6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    #6 danielmak, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Well, typical TyC in that they often pull the guide from Argentina which probably has the rights. But the match did not air in the US, so they probably don't have the rights here. Nor does anyone it seems.

The DTV online guide lists two TyC options with the second one have HD markers as well, so who knows. FYI Peru Magico also is now 16:9 and looks about the same as TyC, which is certainly better than Gol. And it's not possible for me to do an A/B at the same time with Fanatiz but I don't think the 16:9 DTV version of TyC looks any different than the Fanatiz broadcast of TyC. Hard to tell.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think that had to do with that Olympic qualifiers in the last decade were just bunched with the U20 Qualifiers and the top 2-3 teams would just get an automatic birth for the Olympics.