2020 Olympic qualifying semifinal, US vs Mexico, Feb 7

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 5, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US faces Mexico in the semifinal on Friday, Feb 7, at 7 pm PT in Carson, CA. The game will be shown on FS1 and TUDN. As we've said elsewhere, this is the one that matters. Win, and go to the Olympics. Lose, and you're out.

I'll add that I've seen multiple start times (and I miscalculated time zone differences in another thread, which is not helpful). The US Soccer and CONCACAF schedule say 7 pm PT. But the ticket info on the US Soccer website says the start time of the games is 4:30 PT for the first, and 7:30 PT for the US one. So I'm guessing 7 pm PT might actually be the start time for pre-game show on FS1, or the 7:30 PT on the ticket purchase info is actually an error. It's hard to know on the US Soccer website.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My DISH Network Guide and the Fox Sports Website have not been updated to reflect the Match. The 30 minutes between Matches seems a bit rushed.

There will be some, and I won't say who, that will have their nose pressed up against the chainlink fence surrounding Dignity Health Sports Park starting about 10:00a.m.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The schedule from the Hulu guide has the first match ending at 21:00 EST and the last match starting at 22:00 EST. That seems to be an hour between matches. I think there will be no overtime period to concern us as I believe Canada defeats Costa Rica by five or six at least.

Oh I strongly doubt the US will face any challenge either as the US looks at least four goals, probably more in just the first half, better than Mexico. There is a good sized gap between the rest of CONCACAF and Mexico and the another good gap to get to Canada and another to get up to the USA.

I wish the final actually had some meaning like seeding at least as I think that will be the only real test Canada or the US could have. But, as it is, the main thing to worry about in the final will be avoiding any key injuries for both teams. It will effectively be a friendly with nothing to win and a lot to lose.

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Canada use to be formidable back in 2012 Olympics. Best game in my book.

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They still are but they are not better than they were then. The US is quite a bit better now than we were then. That is the difference in my belief.

In soccer terms eight years is a long time.

Namdynamo, jnielsen and Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest Sports Event in the History of Forever.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some confusion might be from the fact that it is a doubleheader. The first game of course is Canada vs. Costa Rica. I will be in the parking lot drinking beer during that game!!!!

8. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of drinking beer and tailgating, the American Outlaws will be having their usual pre game tailgate in LOT 11 at the Stadium. We set up on the grass area that backs up to Avalon Blvd. You will see the flags flying. Everyone is welcome to join us, you do not have to be a member of the Outlaws. We have food, for a small donation, but you do need to bring your own drinks.

Also, the American Outlaws will have a Night Before the Game party for both matches. So on Thursday the 6th and Saturday the 8th at 7:00 pm each night, the party will be at Underground Pub & Grill

Underground Pub & Grill
    1332 Hermosa Ave
    Hermosa Beach, CA 90254

Again, everyone is welcome at the NIght Before party, you do not need to be a member of the American Outlaws.

kolabear, McSkillz, Semblance17 and 3 others repped this.
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I will be in the same parking lot being my usual angelic self.

McSkillz and CoachJon repped this.
  10. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to seeing you Jackdoggy. I am surprised I didn't see you on tv for the last couple of matches. You are loosing your magic.

11. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper for Mexico will likely be Mexican-Ameican and El Paso-born Emily Alvarado, who's going into her senior year at TCU. I think it'll be an easy outing for the US but if someone is going to be a thorn in the US's side, it'll be her.

12. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't underestimate him. You'll see him sitting in Vlatko's seat one of these nights.

13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLOT TWIST: Vlatko and @jackdoggy are the SAME PERSON.

William49, blissett and Bob Lamm repped this.
  14. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    To those going... beware of their bag policy
    None of this, none of that, must be see through blah blah blah. And leave early traffic is terrible

Oh and the price of beer !!!!!

Still ... if I was in LA..

jnielsen and CoachJon repped this.
  15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don’t have clear bag policy everywhere? It must be a Californian thing I guess. I already have a dedicated clear bag that has the correct dimensions. Back in the old Galaxy days, they used to have a 15 dollar lot which was further away but actually better if you were able bodied and wanted to GTFO quicker after the games were over. Now I think everywhere is at least 25. You think that’s expensive, you should try parking at expo park for the LAFC matches. They’re at least 35 dollars. I take metro E train to the downtown stadium. I have attempted at doing Green line to LA metro bus to Carson stadium but I don’t like going through the sketchy areas at night.

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    985768AC-3CF3-40D4-84E7-1CE7548212CA.jpeg

Beachhead (Literally this time) established in Paradise.

Oh dear Lord in Heaven above how I love L.A./S.D. Matches:
    • Beautiful, perfect weather
    • SoCal crazies
    • and, and, and the possibility of a Shannon Boxx, Mia or The Great Joy Fawcett sighting sky-rocket
    Of course, The Greatest Team in the Universe comes standard. A real opportunity for Vlatko to flex his Coaching prowess with the Friday night - Sunday afternoon turnaround. As I count on my fingers and toes....that's less than 48 hours my little soccer buddies.

Prediction: An Absolutely GLORIOUS Weekend

kolabear, McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Q? : Why is California like a bowl of GrapeNut Flakes?
    A: Because when you take out the fruits and the nuts all you have left is the flakes.

I know I am in the minority but I have never liked even visiting southern and central California. Northern California is "different but I like Oregon and Washington better. I spent a year in Los Angeles one month in 1999. I hated every moment with the exception of one soccer match I got to see from the sidelines.

"I love Thanksgiving, it is the only time you see natural breasts in southern California."

Actually I think that California suffers from stretching across too many weather zones. Also humans have ruined much of the state by changing desert into farms or paving it over.

But the matches coming up should be fun anyway and I do not have to go to California to watch them so I guess I am about as happy as someone my age can be. Now if I can just stay awake to watch. Oh well. That is what they make DVRs for. Sometimes, at my age, a nap is more important than anything. I know I can stay awake once the match starts, it is just getting to the start that will be a challenge.

18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking just now, if they win this match, then Sunday's match is more of an exhibition game that doesn't matter so much but then I realized that it might be how top seeding and such is figured out so I guess both matches are going to mean something.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Seeding is based, sort of, on FIFA rankings mostly. The final is nothing more than a chance to have someone injured as Canada will be motivated by having a chance to beat the #1 US, Of course the USWNT will play hard as than is just their nature and that cannot be changed.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, gotcha! I guess even if the US beat Mexico and lost to hypothetical Canada/Costa Rica on Sunday, they would still be a top seed.

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Assuming the US qualifies, which, at least to me, is not in doubt, then it is very unlikely they will not be one of the three top seeds. (Japan is automatically one of the top three seeds) If I understand correctly the top three are really considered equal as they are drawn randomly into top position in the three groups. From there the other teams get drawn fairly randomly into the groups. There are safeguards in place to prevent two teams from the same federation to be drawn into one group I believe.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics

The competition consists of two stages; a group stage followed by a knockout stage. The 12 teams will be drawn into three groups of four teams. The hosts Japan are automatically seeded into Pot 1 and assigned to position E1, while the remaining teams are seeded into their respective pots based on their FIFA Women's World Rankings in March 2020. No group can contain more than one team from each confederation

blissett repped this.
  22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I keep seeing on my schedule that the Canada-Costa Rica match isn't being shown on FS2 or FS1 so I guess I'm out of luck?

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #23 FanOfFutbol, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    It is on Fox Soccer Plus. I also read that it might be on Galavision but I cannot find that info right now and my old memory might be in error. I am also quite sure that it is to be carried on some network in Canada but that would only be good if you are close enough to the Canadian border to pick up some of the Canada stations. I lived for a while in Lynden Washington and as I remember it we received several channels from Seattle and several more from Vancouver with a good antenna. So if you are close to the Canadian border you might have a chance to receive that feed.

Of course you could take advantage of the Hulu with live TV or Fubo TV free trial period and thereby get Fox Soccer Plus. I recommend Fubo even though I use Hulu because Hulu's Live does not show Fox Soccer Plus even thoug it does show up with Channel's DVR using Hulu for authentication. However you also can use Hulu as authentication for Fox Sports and they have Fox Soccer Plus shown there. One gotcha there is the Fox Sports currently will not work on Android devices, including Fire TV devices, with Hulu as the provider. They say they are working on the problem but they have said that for over ten days. It works fine on computers and on Roku devices. I watch on my Roku most of the time and I use Hulu.

Edit: It appears I was in error about Galavision. The Spanish Language carrier in The US appears to be TUDN.
    https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/3562939/canada-vs-costa-rica/

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1:55 am Saturday according to Dish's schedule. No explanation for the delay that I've seen...

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    397 on Dish. Not sure I understand "premundial" as "Olympic Qualifier" but the "feminino" and the "CONCACAF" look right...

Oh. Maybe I'm supposed to see "premundial" as "semifinal" though that seems a bit tortured too?