Rumor: 2020 NWSL Season

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by AndyMead, Aug 16, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unofficial schedule has been floating around on social media:

We'll probably get the official one in a day or two.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Woooow, the Challenge Cup Champions don't get a home game on TV? That's rough, man....

blissett repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm actually surprised that of the three Pod 3 pairings, the one without a TV spot is the reigning NWSL Champions vs the NWSL Challenge Cup Champions.

CoachJon, blissett, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That, by the way, was one of the few matches that didn't happen during Challenge Cup, thus would be super-interesting to see!

CoachJon repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 lil_one, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    The official schedule for the first 3 weeks of the series has been released: https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/art...ights-regional-rivalries-innovative-solutions

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 9.41.20 AM.png

EDIT: In the unofficial schedule above, you'll see that there are potential games in Utah in Week 4; I wonder if that's in question now, and if that's the hold up on a full schedule for the series? I do hope that the series can proceed as planned even with the situation happening in Utah, but who knows? Of course, the hold up could just be something pandemic-related like waiting on local approval for venue and/or fans.

William49, blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    RSL has three home games in the next two weeks that, as far as I can tell, are moving forward as planned. Same with the Monarchs. However, those schedules have been out for a while, so maybe the shake-up could be affecting NWSL without affecting MLS+USL... But I'd lean on other factors being the issue. Considering that the unofficial schedule only had Saturday games, but the official schedule now has a Friday game and Sunday games, that also makes me think it's general logistics as the hold-up.

lil_one repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was told the hold up is that they were waiting on MLS to lock in their "second phase" of games as they have scheduling priority at most overlapping sites. Especially with several MLS/USL teams playing at Red Bull Arena.

sitruc, SiberianThunderT and lil_one repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So Orlando, of all teams, gets three TV games?!?

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Probably a function of them getting none in the Challenge Cup, I guess? Odd, but if both Morgan and Marta play in every game, that'll be a TV draw.

blissett repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, there won't be a winner of the Fall Series, per se, but there will be a winner of the Verizon Community Shield (and 2nd and 3rd place as well). From what I understand, the team that has the most points at the end of the series will win the Community Shield and a $25,000 grant for the respective team's community partner (small business or organization chosen by each team): https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/art...unch-the-verizon-community-shield-competition

Klingo3034 and CoachJon repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I like the idea of a charity "Community Shield" set of rewards, but four games just isn't enough to meaningfully determine standings. Since there were 4 pool games in the Challenge Cup and 4 Fall Series games now, I would love to see the eight-game totals used instead of four-game totals; for ORL, we can just double the point values they earn over the half-season they're getting, I guess.

15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Haven't found an answer but are any of the teams allowing fans in any capacity?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering that DC is the only game this weekend, I'm not surprised other teams haven't put announcements out yet. The Spirit Squadron are "in attendance" at Segra today, but I think they're in the parking lot and not in the stadium itself.

blissett repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't expect any fans in Cary. The USL NCFC has yet to allow fans, and they way they're socially distancing the bench players for USL games, makes me expect no public will be allowed.

sitruc repped this.
  18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    don't know if this is the place to post replay but I got this off youtube from today's game

Klingo3034 repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seems like up to 3,000 fans will be allowed in BBVA when the Dash host their two pod games:
    https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/...ost-limited-number-fans-upcoming-home-matches

Good for them, especially since fans will presumably be spread out across the whole stadium and not limited to just the lower bowl like normal for Dash games. Will be nice for fans of the Challenge Cup Champions to get to be there in person. I hope it bodes well for Dash attendance next year!

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No fans allowed in Portland.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Washington is allowing some fans:

1304153278540906506 is not a valid tweet id

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmmm interesting. News hasn't been sent out via Spirit e-newsletter yet. Maybe they're coordinating it through the Squadron?

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's added more to the tweet in a thread. This first game will just have guests of the club (less than 100) as a dry run for the next game. I don't get it though...does Washington have any more home games?

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A note about the Thorns v Reign match on Saturday: Unless something changes, which is unlikely, there probably will not be a game in Portland. Forest fire smoke is traveling from elsewhere into the area and is not expected to clear out until early next week. The particle count from the smoke right now is in the red unhealthy zone. I do not think they would have the players playing in anything like this situation.

I have no idea if they could move the game to Tacoma, but it currently is in the red zone too.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thorns/Reign postponed to the 15th due to the air conditions.

Courage/Dash pushed from tomorrow night to the TV slot on Saturday.

So the 2019 NWSL Champions vs 2020 NWSL Challege Cup Champions match will be on CBS afterall.