2020 NWSL Draft

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by liesse00, Oct 25, 2019.

1. natbat20

natbat20 New Member

orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though they have Ali, they also have to think about goalies cause as much as i love Ashlyn Harris, she wont be around forever.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #127 SiberianThunderT, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Of course we won't be able to tell *for sure* for many years, but what I've heard has been pretty one-sided based simply on looking at who was available and projecting what they could do in NWSL. IDK about you, but it's pretty telling that two of the best players available still had NCAA eligibility left...
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2020/01/14/the-lowdown-nwsl-college-draft-silly-season-trades-analysis/
    https://sports.yahoo.com/this-weeks...t-for-the-transformation-ahead-200420502.html
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2020-nwsl-college-draft-big-board_aid47539
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...re-no-1-pick-in-nwsl-draft-from-orlando-pride

Seen plenty of journos mention things along similar lines on Twitter too.

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    You guys agree? That this 2020 class was weak? What about 2021?

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Olivia Moultrie would be the first to meet that statement. Question is how she will be used in the draft. Or will she be able to be in the draft? Shes not going to college. She plays for the Thorns Academy. So how does this work?

5. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably just nervous

59Amerinorsk, Mills and CoachJon repped this.
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looking at the tv screen multiple times. Hardly smiling. Looks like a barely contained anger. Give her a room full of pots and come back in a minute it be all destroyed.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under the current rules, she can declare at 18 and be subject to the draft. If she doesn't declare, she has to wait a year and can play in Europe or elsewhere, returning as a discovery player.

Mills and CoachJon repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Ooooh! I'm betting with Portland, she probably play overseas 1 year, then Portland gets her after 1 year is gone. You know how sneaky Portland can be.

9. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sophia smith and ashley sanchez bout to tear up the league

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    TBQH I don't follow NCAA that much, so my opinion is only based on the stuff I've read from news sources like what I linked.

I do recall reading analysis about one of Chicago's draft pick trades saying that the 2021 class is supposed to be pretty stacked - although it could be less so now, considering Smith and Sanchez went this year.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She turns 18 on Sept. 17th, 2023. She would be eligible for NWSL draft in January 2024. She could sign in Europe then or Australia and work her way back to the US when it makes sense. If she is picky about where she goes and open to adventure, she should skip the draft and go where she likes. She can come back to the NWSL when she has more leverage. But, if she's the potential #1 pick, she could hold the league hostage and not sign except for a specific club.

Mills and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By 2023, there will be "home grown" rights and Portland will have them. Portland thinks ahead, as do a couple of other clubs.

Mills, SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think it be unfair to the other clubs, but at the same time if they have their own players they want to keep in their own academy, they can turn that future rule as an advantage.

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There's a photo of her in the Washington Post with the Spirit coach and Tori Huster and she has a nice smile on her face. Maybe she just isn't very good at PR.

lunatica and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow! Morgan Weaver selected 2nd overall. A reach at 2? Perhaps Portland could have had her further down the order had they traded down? Ahead of Kornieck and Sanchez. No wonder Sanchez looked pissed

16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Pretty crazy what Portland did to trade up to get the two top spots.

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She’s not worth it? Was there better defenders?

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Morgan Weaver is a good player. But there were more heralded players such as Sanchez and Kornieck still available. My thinking is that those 2 other players would have been picked at #2 had Portland decided to trade down. WSH pulled off a massive trade when they realized Sanchez was still there.

Maybe nobody wanted to trade up to #2? Maybe Portland were asking for a ransom?

Good player. Good value at #2? idk. Just like drafting Saquon Barkly at #2 overall. Good player, but maybe a little too rich for the value of the pick itself.

19. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh ... now I get it. Portland really wanted Weaver then, to move up to #2

Sanchez must have thought that Portland traded up to #2 to select her. No wonder she looked pissed.

This is what happens to someone who did not watch the livecast :oops:

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ???

didn’t “read” that.

21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Well they did lose a top defender Sonnet and you can’t keep drafting all forwards even if they are very good. Have positions they need to cover. If they need someone to help prevent opponents from scoring then it’s good enough.

22. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Morgan Weaver was a forward at Wazzu. Do you think Portland would convert her to a defender?

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Just narrating what I saw.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Oh wow you’re right! Figure she was a defender but Portland draft an actual defender in the 4th round. Not her. That’s crazy! Figure they had the opportunity to draft Sanchez then if it was another forward they looking for. I can see why she’s pissed.

Wonder why they didn’t take Sanchez...

cachundo repped this.
  25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    You mentioned Sanchez's effectiveness against tougher opponents in previous posts. Perhaps they saw what you saw. Perhaps Morgan Weaver made a good impression in last season's college games.