2020 NWSL Draft

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by liesse00, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Sky Blue should trade their #2 and #3 picks for #1, if they can get Macario.
    With Lloyd and Rodriquez in the midfield, I'm really liking that team.

2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hmmm Marta and Catarina...

3. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they’re rumors she might declare?

4. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #29 WoSoFan, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    No I think her mom who is a Doctor would probably like to see her get her degree!
    Besides she may want to stay around just to obliterate Christen Press total career goals and points. She is already close on total points, but is 14 away from breaking her goals record.

Besides I think the only team that can afford her would be Portland, because in order to keep her from running off to Europe for the big bucks, the league would probably need to come up with a special sizeable allocation of money to be competitive just to get her. I can't see Sky Blue doing that, or anyone else either, and I don't see the league allowing her to get away. It sounds crazy for one player, but I think she is going to be a really big draw for the league, not only for the team that gets her, but even for all the away games. She will be well worth the investment. Also, if she waits till the 2021 draft there would probably be one more team that could afford a big allocation, and that would be Atlanta United.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No matter how good, I don't think any rookie will command a sizeable allocation. It just doesn't fit league dynamics. Even in other pro leagues here in the States, you don't pay a rookie 5+ times the league average, even top picks. Maybe she's good enough for a UEFA clubs to throw $200k at her, but for someone with no pro experience yet, I can't see her demanding more than that even on the international market, and probably no more than $120k in NWSL, which wouldn't be a big allocation push for any team.

6. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #31 WoSoFan, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Well you need to take the time to watch her play. There are plenty of highlight videos on some of her top goals and assists as well. She is like no rookie I have ever seen before. I have never seen a player that can dominate a game like she can do. She is the elite of the elite players and Chris Henderson reported she is about to do something that has never been done ever by any Division I player and that is to finish the season the leader in both goals and assists. She won the Hermann Trophy as a Sophomore, and since her numbers are way beyond her numbers last season as well as any other player in the country, she is the odds on favorite to win it as a Junior. It would make her one of only 5 players too win it back to back. And should she continue to play another year,. will most likely win it again and be the only player to win it 3 times.

The last two years she played for the U-23's in Portland's pre season tournament against the likes of Portland, Houston, and Chicago. She clearly made a statement with her 5 goals in 6 games, and had the ,winning goal in 2 games the U-23's won..

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I'm just speculating.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mean, I agree she'd probably be the best rookie ever. I have watched game clips of her. And while highlights and stats are great - she'd still be a rookie with no pro experience. So I still think there's a ceiling to how much she can make here or abroad. Until she gets a pro season under her belt where she continues her NCAA performances, there's still that element of uncertainty and unprovenness. There are very, very few players worldwide making $300k or more per season, and they're literally World-XI-level players. Could she be World XI level? Sure. But she's not there now, even if only because she hasn't had the opportunity to prove it yet.

Mills repped this.
  9. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    She is worth the extra money which is one reason I could see her coming out early. If she did come out this year, then this coming season she could qualify for one of the requirements for the allocation money for next year. It would also give her another year to get that money before she is a federation player where she might be locked out of that money and could potentially be taking less. Plus, I don't think we have to worry about her leaving because I'm pretty sure she has to stay in the country until she gets the FIFA approval to switch to the US.

Mills repped this.
  10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hopefully she is good enough to take on NWSL. Because that means she can play with the USWNT which is her dream.

11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looks like January 16, 2020 is the official date.

Mills repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Has anyone seen any mock-up draft already ?

13. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that a High School Senior is on that list.

Eugene, OR native and HS senior GK Hailey Coll may have applied for the draft before the new Oregon coach was named.

The Oregon coach resignation was announced November 8 (Seven year record 47-74-13) and they announced hiring two time WC winning USWNT goalkeeper coach Graeme Abel as the new head coach on December 30.

Coll
    signed a National Letter of Intent in 2018 to play under the previous Oregon coach (she said she grew up wanting to be a Duck). She plays for the Thorns Academy and was their Academy 2017-18 Player of the Year. She has been with the US U17s and I think she has one cap with them.

I would be interested in finding out her reasons for signing up for the draft. For any player that does not expect to be drafted, they do it so they can end up signing a contract if they make a team via tryouts, like Bethany Balcer. If Coll didn't go to college and was undrafted, I suppose the Thorns could sign her to some sort of development contract. Maybe she is like Lindsey Horan, who professed she did not like the school part of school very much, and Coll would not feel missing out on college was a big deal.

BostonRed and soccersubjectively repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I guess she has renounced her college eligibility.

In order to be eligible for the 2020 NWSL College Draft, a player must:

• Be a player who will forego any remaining college eligibility or must have exhausted their eligibility during the 2019-2020 academic year, and
    • Be at least 18-years-old during the College Protected Period (which ends with the End of Season Process for the 2020 season), and
    • Register for the draft with the NWSL by the deadline at 4 pm ET on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.

Players who register but are not selected during the 2020 NWSL College Draft will qualify to be acquired as a Discovery Player during the 2020 season. Players who do not register will not be eligible to be on the roster of any NWSL team until the conclusion of the 2020 NWSL season. We encourage all players who might want any opportunity to play in the NWSL in 2020, to register.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the "will forego" is future tense, meaning IF they are drafted, then they must forego any remaining college eligibility. I don't think she has given up her eligibility just by listing her name. OTOH, a player like Tierna Davidson, who was a guaranteed draftee, pretty much gave up her eligibility, for all intents and purposes, when she listed her name.

tiaotnszn and Mills repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right since the NCAA rules have evolved a bit over the years. It's one of those areas where the wording in the NWSL rules isn't all that clear. They probably don't want to cost an athlete her eligibility if she isn't going to be drafted.

She's "pre-enrollment" so many of the rules don't apply.

Here's what the NCAA Bylaws say:

12.1.2 Amateur Status. An individual loses amateur status and thus shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition in a particular sport if the individual: (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 4/23/03 effective 8/1/03, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10)

(f) After initial full-time collegiate enrollment, enters into a professional draft (see Bylaw 12.2.4)

12.2.4.1 Inquiry. An individual may inquire of a professional sports organization about eligibility for a professional-league player draft or request information about the individual’s market value without affecting his or her amateur status.

12.2.4.2 Draft List. After initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual loses amateur status in a particular sport when the individual asks to be placed on the draft list or supplemental draft list of a professional league in that sport, even though: (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)
    (a) The individual asks that his or her name be withdrawn from the draft list prior to the actual draft;
    (b) The individual’s name remains on the list but he or she is not drafted; or
    (c) The individual is drafted but does not sign an agreement with any professional athletics team.

12.2.4.2.4 Exception—Sports Other Than Basketball and Football. An enrolled student-athlete in a sport other than basketball or football may enter a professional league’s draft one time during his or her collegiate career without jeopardizing his or her eligibility in the applicable sport, provided the student-athlete is not drafted and within 72 hours following the draft he or she declares his or her intention to resume participation in intercollegiate athletics. The student-athlete’s declaration of intent shall be in writing to the institution’s director of athletics. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)

12.3 Use of Agents. [A] 12.3.1 General Rule. [A] An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in any sport.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/attachments1/files/11600/628372.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=11600

Mills and CoachJon repped this.
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think that’s a good condition if she doesn’t get drafted and still able to continue to go to college. Win win situation.

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Also I don’t know if goalkeepers are usually drafted.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she's not drafted (seems likely), the Thorns can name her as a designated player (the likely team to do it, if any) and they get first rights to her, just not as a college draft player. Maybe this has been worked out already? If so, it would suggest they're pretty high on her.

CoachJon repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked up the drafted GKs and except for the first draft in 2013, no more than 5 keepers were drafted in any year. The earliest picks were #6 Adriana Franch in 2013 and #13 Casey Murphy in 2018. Thanks to Jen Cooper’s NWSL Almanac.

2019 (1 of 36 players)
    #28 Kaylan Marckese

2018 (5 of 40 players)
    #13 Casey Murphy; #15 Emily Boyd; #29 Bella Geist; #33 Sarah Shimer; #34 EJ Proctor

2017 (3 of 40 players)
    #15 Jane Campbell; #23 Kailen Sheridan; #31 Sammy Jo Prudhomme

2016 (5 of 40 players)
    #26 Britt Eckerstrom; #27 Abby Smith; #29 Caroline Casey; #34 Madalyn Schiffel; #40 Lindsey Luke

2015 (2 of 36 players)
    #17 Katelyn Rowland; #21 Sabrina D’Angelo

2014 (3 of 36 players)
    #18 Kelsey Wys; #32 Jami Kranich; #35 Maegan Kelley

2013 Supplemental Draft (4 of 45 players)
    #13 Brittany Cameron; #14 Bianca Henninger; #31 Val Henderson; #34 Michelle Betos

2013 College Draft (5 of 32 players)
    #6 Adriana Franch; #17 Taylor Vancil; #20 Ashley Baker; #31 Haley Kopmeyer; #32 Roxanne Barker

Klingo3034, SiberianThunderT and Mills repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume it's a transcription error or the like, but Maegan Kelly is a midfielder.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. There are two typos in the almanac; her last name should have only one "e": Kelly and she was drafted by KC (Vlatko) as M/F not a GK.
    From wikipedia: she has 5 caps with the Canadian National Team and
    On May 3, 2019 Kelly was signed by the Reign (Vlatko) as a national team replacement player. She made her debut as a substitute against the Washington Spirit the following day. On July 15, 2019, Kelly was released by the club. ... Kelly joined Italian club Florentia in 2019.

blissett repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Does anyone have the updated order? At least for the first 2 rounds?