2020 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    D'oh for Wahl.

The loss of all sports has been pretty brutal on websites. A baseball site posted "our daily traffic is still down 60-70%." Which seems pretty good given that the season never started.

I hope everyone here is doing ok. If we can get by without too much damage to our families from illness, there's still so much job loss out there, and to come.

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I was a season ticket holder from day one with the foxes and for the overlap years had both foxes and Rapids season tickets.

The foxes started out at jeffco stadium at 6th and Kipling then moved to Englewood high school then mile hi stadium then the dog track.

What irritated me most was that the coach Dave Dir ended up coaching for the Dallas Burn and took half of the Foxes players with him to the MLS in Dallas.

Fortunately we kept Balboa with the Rapids.

COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and Stuart95 repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was, supposedly, one of the terms to Uncle Phil buying in to MLS and getting a team in Colorado. He wanted Balboa on his team.

COMtnGuy and Centennial repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That Wahl story seems a little more complicated than a guy getting laid off with no severance (which is what I assumed), and there's a lot of he said/company said. Wahl supposedly made $350,000 (salary and bonuses) in the prior year, and had been criticizing the parent company on social media for using the pandemic as an excuse for cutting his salary. So they fired him.

Losing a job is never easy but I am a lot more worried about the people who lived check to check who have no jobs now.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Wahl's wife is on the front lines in this every day, as a doctor with a specialization in epidemiology in NY. So this is probably one more thing they didn't need to deal with right now.

COMtnGuy, Totoro and AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How do you know he isn't living paycheck to paycheck?

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, he could be, but a lot less likely than a waiter at Chili's or something.

8. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that anybody noticed or cared, but the XFL filed Chapter 11 today. They are about as far under water as the R.M.S. Titanic.

SccrDon repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So the USSF is shutting down the Development Academy? Athletic link / NBCSports (2nd hand) link

That seems bad. Are most of the clubs in those leagues like the CO ones, where they were either for an MLS club or members of an already strong club like Rush/Storm, etc.?

11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the answer to your question is "yes".

I wonder what will replace the DA. I hope it isn't just MLS developmental teams - large parts of this country aren't near enough to an MLS team to have their kids play for them.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sounds like there will be an MLS league, and big clubs like Rush will just go back to doing what they do.

Was the DA successful at all with any coordination of training standards and such? That seem the main loss, but if it was already fairly fragmented, who knows if they made any headway there.

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  14. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For boys, I think there will be a big transition - the gap that has developed in play between the top state league teams and those in the DA is fairly obvious. It's quite clear when you're reffing a match between strong DA teams and top level State League teams. If the DA teams drop back into the State Leagues, they will dominate those along with State Cup - but the overall level of competiveness will be lower than the DA is/was.

For girls, it won't be as much as a drop - the DA hasn't involved girls teams as long and ECNL was already in a strong position compared to the DA.

15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think anyone see’s the DA Demise as anything favorable. Will be interesting how all this plays out. Not buying rumors of some kind of joint youth league with Mexico like some are thinking, just a timing coincidence that both federations are looking at Switching up youth development.

16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All is not lost. We still have soccer broadcasters . . .

. . . and soccer photographers. . .

Totoro, SccrDon, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #67 Dom. FC, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    And the crowd (that probably won't be allowed) went wild!!!
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...turn-in-2nd-half-of-may-after-covid-19-hiatus
    Bundesliga to play again in mid-May.
    I honestly can't remember the last live soccer match I watched, probably the Rapids last one. I would assume Fox will maximize their coverage with as many matches as possible to fill the void.

For a single data point contrast -- the French Ligue 1 season has been flatly canceled.

MLS likely somewhere between those?

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just 9 more days

Edit: NO fans in stadium
    1258396252917526531 is not a valid tweet id

jrowe13, Totoro and JasonMa repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Rod1916 repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here's a solid piece from The Athletic on some of the important details in the agreement between the players and the NWSL.

https://theathletic.com/1839942/202...cured-a-return-to-play-deal-with-no-pay-cuts/

As you can tell from the URL, the players are not going to take a pay cut. Also, the will be allowed to have children with them in Utah and will be guaranteed complete insurance for all of 2020.

Matches will be on CBS all-access with the opening match and championship on CBS.

COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Serie A might begin again soon, I hope it is still on ESPN+.

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Aleksandar Katai released from the LA Galaxy Today:

Excerpt from the following article:
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/socc...eksandar-katai-racist-wife-george-floyd-death

These posts were immediately reported, and quickly earned the labels "inflammatory" "racist" "violent" and more - according to the news reports I could find.

Aleksandar's response was

While I certainly don't condone in any way what Tea Katai had to say (based solely on the reports of what she said, you can't actually find her posts, as they have been deleted), I also find this whole thing rather...strange...for lack of a better term.

On June 3rd, LA Galaxy releases:

Then this morning, Katai and the team "Mutually part ways." which is layman's terms for "Katai accepted his firing quietly." There's GOT to be more to this story. In the span of 2 days a player was quickly and quietly removed from the team. Removing a player from the team based on a family member's action is.....an interesting precedent to set - unless there's more to the story that no one is talking about.

In case you hadn't noticed, right now we are living through the pages and chapters of future history books.

SccrDon repped this.
  25. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.