2020 NCAA D1 Tournament - Spring 2021 - Cary, NC

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by West Ender, Apr 28, 2021.

1. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I too have been surprised by the lack of interest in the 2020-2021 tourney on this board.
    Only about a half dozen or so users chiming in.

McSkillz repped this.
  2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoop whoop, looks like they're finally restarting. Good luck my Bruins, it can go either way now.......

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Who’s going to win?

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I’m rooting for TX A&M.

West Ender repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of our forwards even bothered with PKs? Wow, well we deserve to lose.

I don't even know who the eff our last PK kicker was, she didn't even play....

West Ender and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  6. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    That was a little strange. And to have a Sophomore who didn't even get in the game take that last one.

7. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would give the commentator a pass. It’s tough to call a game as a one man crew. Especially when he’s willing to call all 4 games on that field today. Usually commentators only have to do 1 maybe 2 games at most in a day and have help. Obviously the ncaa wasn’t paying for that this year. Just glad there was some type of stream. ..

Man ACC is 4/4 right now with a chance to make it 5/5 and have 5 of the elite 8 be ACC.

goaleemama, nocarters and West Ender repped this.
  8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyways, I wish all the other fans on here good luck with their teams, I'll just cry in the corner over our inadequate tournament run. I almost kinda knew from our struggle with the 2nd round game that we weren't firing at all cylinders. We're usually defeating teams 5-0 in the first rounds. Hopefully, we will come back next year stronger. :cry::cry::cry:

Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  9. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Go Heels TV not working now? this website is... challenging.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA, basically the France of NCAA, we have the talent but we never can get out of quarter-finals or in this case even worse, a round of 16. Maybe time to change coach?

11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I've been out of pocket this evening.
    Sorry about your Bruins. Part of me wanted some payback for that butt whooping you put on us last year. Part of me wanted an easier path to the natty.
    Good luck next year.

12. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be weird not having a Pac12 team in the cup this season. I wonder if the whole, "Pac12 didn't play until Spring and the other conferences did..." might have some validation now. Honestly, my response to that is this: California had COVID really bad for a period of time, we were leading the country in COVID cases at one point. Thankfully we are a state that has the least amount of COVID cases thanks to our Governor, Gavin Newsom. I wish we could have played in the fall but that wasn't happening and that's okay. I honestly think its hard when top soccer schools like UCLA and Stanford lose their players because they decide go into the NWSL draft. I know UNC and Florida State goes through the same thing and they are better this season but I wanted to say that I really really really miss Ashley Sanchez and Hailee Mace who have made it to the NWSL top teams. I'm sure Stanford and Florida can also say they miss their former players. I don't know where I'm going with this, I have had 6 shots of whiskey so I guess I should be done.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably Covid took out their mojo. A year of not playing much tends to do that. And just barely starting doesn't help since its not the same as fully conditioned and gel with the whole team.

14. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Agree on the "theory"....seemed to me you could see it in consistency, chemistry and fitness with teams that played games in fall and spring...I really think there is something to it...No Pac 12 or Big Ten teams beyond this round of 16...it is what it is, but hoping next season is there is more normalcy & scheduling/training equally for all conferences!! Good luck to remaining teams!

West Ender repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I could back it up watching Cristiano Ronaldo when coming back to the first game since COVID. He played slow, looked gassed, not moving smoothly. Looked amateur. After 2 months or so, that’s when it was watching pros playing.

West Ender, McSkillz and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what's going to happen in the next batch of games but as much as it pains me to say this as a UCLA alumni, Florida State University has a very good team and they looked like Stanford when they are at their best. And yes, I had to use Stanford as a barometer, sorry because we are so used to getting defeated by them every season. On paper, Florida State Seminoles should take the Natty this year, if all goes well in the end. They are a very good team and if they keep doing what they've been doing, they should be able to defeat every team on the map this cup. It's okay. UCLA will come back in 2022 and get the Natty again, just watch! We can be unstoppable if we are on point. I certainly can't root for Clemson or UNC, are you kidding? UNC are our rivals.

socalsoccer23 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looks like UVA has this in the bag.

18. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Dry those tears, guys! There's still one California team in the mix!

19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 McSkillz, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    California is a big ass state like Texas. The heck I care about Santa Clara. Bless their hearts and hope they lose the next round. you forget that SoCal and NorCal are almost two different states. I was mortified at the kits today with UCLA, we looked like Berkeley out there and I think that's what did us in. We shouldn't be Golden, that's the North. We are blue and gold not gold and blue. Okay I'm so sorry UC decided we should all be sharing the same color scheme but.... no. UCLA is not all gold. No way. That made us look too much like Cal, and you know how bad they were this season, that's why we lost, we looked too much like Cal. - Thats my drunken theory before I turn in for the night. BTW, I absolutely detest how much the older UC schools were modeled after Berkeley and now most of us are some shade of blue and gold if you haven't already noticed.

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    She is a kid who has battled back from 3 ACLs and had the guts to step up there and take it. And her teammates and coaches believed in her. My heart goes out to a young woman who stepped up where others with massive reps did not.

21. Kleetus

Kleetus Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Dec 8, 2019
    Horrendous coaching decision in a huge moment. There’s an old saying... Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The history? Look what NC did last just year in the PKs in the final vs Stanford. Trotted out a cold player in that final moment. And it showed. Just like today for the Bruins. Thankfully for that NC player, she got the redemptive header today to seal the win for NC in a chippy match.

And speaking of coaching, it can shape and change trajectories of players and their legacies; so, ponder this: what a potentially redemptive moment the 9 (MF) for UCLA could’ve had today if she were able to take her position on the spot with the season on the line.

For reasons unknown to this viewer, she did not step up.

instead, it is handed off to a player, though she is talented, who hadn’t set a cleat on the grass for a single second in the prior 110 minutes.

even Turner, who has been magical this season, should’ve had a crack at it.

where were these options??

Horrendous. Might as well of had #41 Isaacson take it.

congratulations to Clemson and quite frankly the ACC, they’ve earned it.

5 teams in the final 8 is very hard to argue against.

I thought the pac12 decision to scrap the fall season was premature at the time they made it, and thru the current lens, that decision has certainly has shown to be costly.

It seems FSU is in the driver’s seat but at this point, I wouldn’t sleep on Santa Clara who are quietly chugging along — and hopefully the balance of the games brings great soccer and drama.

Enjoy the rest of it and looking forward to the fall.

socalsoccer23, West Ender and McSkillz repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    McSkillz repped this.
  23. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #148 Eddie K, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    For another thread perhaps but on pks, I'm deferential to 3 main factors -
    1-those who want to take one
    2-those who have been banging them in training and so have a confident stroke
    3-upperclass/experienced players who have been in the moment before

Strong weight to #1, as 2-3 may not correlate, and none of those things necessarily have to do with minutes played -that day or in the season. You can argue that 110 minutes of fatigue affects technique as much as the lack of pt for a fresh player. You clearly tell the likely kickers not playing in ot to be warm and ready. Both 6:00 teams were waiting another 30-40 minutes in tents or their bus anyway. Making factor #1 even bigger for me. And sometimes we forget - many of these kids have been taking pks in big games for many years already, some in international competitions for God's sake. A rainy day in NC with woods in the background should be easy work for this level player.

I've always thought it interesting how many "stud" players don't want a pk, especially strikers. Some very famous forwards didn't like pks.

Also, a sidebar I guess - I thought it was cool to see a lefty in the A&M/OSU shootout but then there were at least 6 that took pks! 3 from each team. That has to be very rare. We thought the camera was on mirror mode but it was not. Shoutout to lefties out there.

ps - based only on jersey colors, some are correct that UCLA should be out! ;) Also funny that pulling up both the shorts to look shorter and pulling up the socks to look longer is now the fashion. a 5'3" player wants mens large socks now! Wasn't long ago they hated those big socks.

24. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    The broadcasts of these games is stunningly bad. Streams. No replay. Insane.

Crazy to see the difference between teams that played in the fall and those that didn’t. The results are pretty clear (and even Santa Clara only played like 6 spring games). I wonder if this will move the ball forward for a year round model. Better soccer, more rest, fresher teams. To me it’s Incredibly telling.

I think Amanda’s seat will never be warm at UCLA. Ever. She’s done well on a National scale. And it’s so hard to win once you’re in that top group of 5/6 teams. It’s a crapshoot on the day. But from an outside perspective their results don’t match their roster. Maybe you all know the inside scoop and the kids they get aren’t as highly regarded but it sure seems like their roster is a national championship caliber roster every year.

Klingo3034 and Number007 repped this.
  25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I think there were pros and cons of playing in the fall. Dont see it as a big advantage either way.

On UCLA, She does have a nationally relevant roster every year, but winning KO games is hard and has huge slices of luck involved. People tend to see the result and back fill a narrative that fit as opposed to accepting that luck plays a huge role. There is a reason they play 162/82/16 etc in pros to THEN get to the elimination part. Even then, the hot team at the right time with the breaks is who becomes the champ. In College soccer, playing in the P12 or ACC is not the same as B10 or others. Its a different grind.

On this UCLA team in particular, Its hard to play pretty soccer vs the top ACC teams. I feel the P12 is a lot more open and run/gun. UNC,Clemson and Duke all pose very different defensive challenges. FSU UVA are both a bit more "open" in style. UCLA are a fine team and had a great season. No reason for AC to be on any hot seat. I dont place the same significance on the Natty as most do so take my opinion for what its worth.

EDIT - it more than the top 5/6 teams. Styles and matchups are important. as is team speed. With the right match. up and plan, the top5/6 are very vulnerable. The least vulnerable to me is FSU because they have strength in all the key areas and the depth to stay at that level with subs. When a UNC bring in the line change, FSU advantage goes up as they can match it without dropping level. Even with all that, FSU can be beat by any of the teams left if the ball does not bounce right. For me on balance, they are still the best TEAM here.

sweepsit and Klingo3034 repped this.