2020 MLS Week 8 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Sep 1, 2020.

1. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    09/01/20
    Toronto FC vs Montreal Impact
    BMO Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Gianni Facchini
    AR2: Chantal Boudreau
    4TH: Fabrizio Stasolla
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Philippe Briere

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to do anything but punish Toronto for screwing that up, but technically both teams were encroaching at the moment the penalty kick was taken so should it not have been a retake? Should the VAR have had this reviewed? It has to be reviewed if the goal had been allowed...

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late red card for SFP reviewed and changed to yellow.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    according to the Law if there's an infringement by both teams, then yes it should be a re-take. Not sure if that's something the VAR can review. I suppose you can argue that it's a PK decision which would be reviewable? Seems like a misapplication of the laws would be a big problem.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is that the protocols say it must be reviewed IF the offending player becomes involved in the outcome of the penalty kick. The Montreal players may have technically offended, but they had nothing to do with the play. So even though it's technically wrong, I'm not convinced that the VAR protocols allow a review to have it retaken instead.

It's a fascinating scenario.

6. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    VAR can review, and will review to see if an encroaching player interferes with play (ie, clears a ball after a save, or scores)... and at the top levels, they seem to be ignoring all other players, encroachment or not.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing to note is that from a common sense, spirit of the Law point of view, there's little to be gained by giving Toronto another attempt. Reap what you sow.

But in the era of video review, common sense isn't necessarily common anymore.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  8. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is always a tough one, because the fact is, you will see some encroachment by both teams on probably 95% of penalty kicks. Usually, of course, it's somewhat mild and doesn't affect play, so it's ignored.

In this case, there is blatant encroachment that affects play by the attacking team, and mild encroachment by the defending team. The encroachment by the defending team on this play would never have been called in a vacuum--i.e., if it had just been a regular kick that sailed over the bar. If a referee ordered a re-kick in that instance, there'd be a riot. So it doesn't really seem fair to award a re-kick in this instance.

It's the inevitable curse of having a black-and-white rule that in practice is enforced in a very gray way.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  9. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Once the Toronto player passed the ball rather than shooting, the goal was not scored directly. The laws treat that pass as a kick that was not scored directly, so when the encroaching player receives the pass and scores, he will be the one punished. If they had scored directly, there would have been a rekick. Because it was not directly scored, any punishment has to be an IFK coming out.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What Law 14 says is:

a player of both teams offends, the kick is retaken unless a player commits a more serious offence (e.g. ‘illegal’ feinting) ​

I guess an argument can be made that the encroachment that impacted more was a more serious offence and therefore the only one punished, which isn't totally crazy. But I think the parenthetical cuts against that interpretation, as it is referencing an offense that is different and cautionable. I think, as written, it means if players from both teams encroach (as opposed to certain offenses by the kicker and GK that warrant cautions, the kick is--by the letter of the law--retaken.

The problem, I think, as someone alluded to above is we have a black and white standard (though shalt not encroach) that is never strictly enforced. And this has been an issue for a very long time. (Evans and Ballion include an example in their excellent book of one of them following an NASL directive to strictly enforce, resulting in something like 5 retakes--that directive quickly slid away.)

I think the IFK here is clearly within the SOTG, and is probably what almost anyone would call without VAR--essentially finding the other infractions trifling. But, like many parts of the Laws, it's not a clear result--and the efforts to spell out everything make those SOTG issues harder (especially in the VAR world),

11. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if both the attacking and defending team encroach, the kick is always retaken, regardless of the result of the initial kick. In this case, both teams did indeed encroach (though the attacking team did so more brazenly). By the letter of the law, it should have been retaken--but common sense dictates, I'd argue, that the IFK was the right call.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any reason why VAR could NOT have stepped in here.

A potential penalty kick is always a scenario where VAR is available. We've seen reviews to determine if a kick needs to be re-taken due to GK encroachment, so I don't see why you can't review to see if a kick needs to be re-taken due to field player encroachment.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because of how the protocols have been written. The IFAB doesn't want every single instance of encroachment reviewed because in most cases, when there's no effect on the play, missing it isn't really a major, game changing decision of the sort that the football world wants to see corrected.

Thus, the protocols say that the VAR must recommend a review if a player encroaches AND becomes involved in the outcome of the penalty kick by, for example, touching the ball first or challenging or interfering with an opponent.

The call on the field was encroachment by the attacking team. While the video does show encroachment by the defending team as well, those players never became involved in the play so from the VAR's standpoint, it's untouchable even though technically the decision is wrong (just like it's technically wrong to allow a goal directly from a penalty if an attacker has their big toe inside the penalty arc, and they don't review that either because it's overly officious).

SccrDon, JasonMa and socal lurker repped this.
  14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the actual protocol I'm referring to. Screenshot_20200902-152425.jpg

15. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another wrinkle:

Pretend for a moment that the referee didn't catch the offense and the call on the field was a goal. VAR would have to recommend a review because the encroachment was an offense by the attacking team in the build-up to the goal. Upon review, with clear video evidence that both teams had actually encroached, there's only one correct answer IMO: retake.

So essentially you have different (acceptable) outcomes depending on what is called in the field, which is sort of wild.

Unless the instruction is now that encroachment with interference is now considered a "more serious offense," which would be news to me.

MassachusettsRef and JasonMa repped this.
  16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This is another example of how VAR makes things harder--it's easier to use common sense without micro-analysis by video

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    09/02/20
    Atlanta United vs Inter Miami
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Cory Richardson

FC Cincinnati vs Chicago Fire
    Nippert Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Jeffrey Swartzel
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Columbus Crew vs Philadelphia Union
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: CJ Morgante
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

New York Red Bulls vs D.C. United
    Red Bull Arena (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Matt Thompson
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Adam Wienckowski

Houston Dynamo vs Minnesota United
    BBVA Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Luis Guardia
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Diego Blas

New England Revolution vs New York City FC
    Gillette Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Tom Felice
    4TH: Adam Kilpatrick
    VAR: Alan Kelly
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Sporting Kansas City vs FC Dallas
    Children’s Mercy Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Brian Poeschel
    4TH: Jon Freemon
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Ian McKay

Nashville vs Orlando City
    Nissan Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
    4TH: Natalie Simon
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Jose Da Silva

Real Salt Lake vs Seattle Sounders
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9:30PM ET)
    REF: Malik Badawi
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Tim Ford
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

Portland Timbers vs LA Galaxy
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Kevin Stott
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

Los Angeles FC vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Banc of California Stadium (11PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Jason White
    4TH: Michael Radchuk
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Ian Anderson

18. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    is this Malik’s debut?

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, overall debuts for Thompson and Simon (4ths).

Referee debut for Badawi. AR debut for Swartzel.

20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is essentially the answer of where we are right now based on the protocols.

You get the just call that everyone expects (except one person; apparently) because Fischer was right on top of things and nails the call. VAR can’t intervene because based on the protocols and how referees are taught (and how the game has been officiated forever) he hasn’t made an obvious error.

You revert to or rely on VAR here, and you almost certainly get a retake. Because VAR has to look at it objectively per the Laws once it intervenes.

So this all comes down to Fischer. And it’s another reminder how VAR can complicate things that really aren’t that complicated for most people watching.

21. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    If you watch it carefully, you will see that Fischer initially awarded the goal by pointing toward the halfway line. Then something happened (likely communication from VAR), a whistle is heard and the goal is disallowed without OFR.

22. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malik Badawi is only 25 years old, by the way. Simon had a 4th in Week 7, Miam-Atlanta.

frankieboylampard and ManiacalClown repped this.
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he blows his whistle, points upfield, and then raises his arm. I wouldn't expect the whistle if he's signalling for a goal.

Even if he's getting info, it's not ever going to come from the VAR in that matter as that would be very much against protocol.

Considering the AR (Boudreau) looked like she was expecting a goal, I think Fischer made this call by himself.

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way information is coming from the VAR that quickly. Zero. They are on a slight delay to begin with, but more to the point I haven’t heard or heard of any audio demonstrating any VAR in MLS acting that fast OR simply telling the referee what to do.

socal lurker repped this.
  25. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think you've interpreted this wrong, and that he's signaling for the free kick, not a goal, it's a good message for referees at home that any time the ball is in the back of the net, it's a good idea to clearly communicate that no goal is being given before signalling for a free kick out.

jarbitro repped this.