2020 MLS Week 23 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Nov 4, 2020.

1. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    11/04/20
    Orlando City vs Columbus Crew
    Exploria Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Minnesota United vs Chicago Fire
    Allianz Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Victor Rivas
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

Nashville vs FC Dallas
    Nissan Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Drew Fischer
    AVAR: Kathryn Nesbitt

Portland Timbers vs Colorado Rapids
    Providence Park (10PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

San Jose Earthquakes vs Los Angeles FC
    Earthquakes Stadium (11PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Michael Radchuk
    VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr

LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders
    Dignity Health Sports Park (11PM ET)
    REF: Silviu Petrescu
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Dave Gantar
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

2. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’ll be curious to see how this one is explained in PRO’s review.

rh89 repped this.
  4. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second angle looks a lot worse than the first angle (on first viewing, I didn't even think it was a foul from the first angle).

It seems that with VAR, the trend has been "if studs go into the ankle, it's red". This play is consistent with that.

But it's an odd play, because the contact comes after he very clearly wins the ball. The action did risk injury to the opponent, but doesn't look like an unreasonable amount of force--it was just unfortunate that the opponent got his leg in there as he was lunging for the ball.

I think any time you're forcefully lunging for the ball with your studs exposed, you're being reckless, even if you win the ball. I think foul + yellow is the right call here. But a red to me seems harsh, and it definitely doesn't seem to be a clear and obvious error.

I've felt for a while that PRO referees have been a little bit too black and white with the "if the studs go into the leg, it's red" standard. I agree that studs into the ankle/leg is usually a red card, but I feel like some nuance has been lost.

TyffaneeSue and rh89 repped this.
  5. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a mildly interesting one from San Jose: LA attacker is on a counter attack, gets clipped from behind by a San Jose player but stays on his feet. Immediately after, he's grabbed from behind by a second San Jose player, and the foul is called. Neither foul is reckless, but together they break up a promising attack. Tim Ford gives a yellow for the first foul, but not the second.

Arguably, both San Jose players here could have been cautioned for breaking up the attack--but that's not the outcome anyone expects. But to me, it seems if you're picking one, you'd typically caution the second foul, not the first, on this type of play. But I'm not entirely confident on that--thoughts?

In this case, it happened to become relevant, as the cautioned player ended up getting another caution about 10 minutes later.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...os-angeles-football-club/details/video/248023

6. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 jarbitro, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Well, you can't really caution both players. That wouldn't make much sense. The first foul was definitely worse. The first one is the one that broke up the attack, and the second one was just added. The first one was cheap, and the second was just a tug. The first one made the second one possible. The pull was just really to force the R to call the trip. So, if someone is going to get booked, its the first guy.

I do wonder if Ford felt like he had to caution for the first foul when the second player kicked the ball away after the whistle. That sealed the deal that the card was going to come out. Had they left the ball alone, I don't know if he would have carded anyone.

EDIT: I just watched the clip of that player getting sent off later. Oh my goodness, what a dumb foul when you are sitting on a yellow. It actually looked a lot like the VAR red to Nani you linked to earlier. I"m not saying this was a straight red tackle, but it certainly flirted with it.

sjquakes08 repped this.
  7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm less concerned with the people who think this challenge isn't red than I am with the fact that ESPN's main color commentator thinks this isn't even a foul. Manufacturing outrage as usual. Screenshot_20201105-051434.jpg

socal lurker and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can definitely see the similarities.Contact was low and on the foot in this case, and that makes all the difference. Easily reckless. Homer commentary team is at least more forgiveable than someone who works national broadcasts, but they should still be able to figure out why this was a foul.

rh89 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You could if you considered the first foul reckless and the second SPAA. But I don't see that here.

I think you can argue either way here as to which should get the caution. Calling the second foul is (marginally) better for the offended team as the FK is a few yards further up. But that means applying advantage to first foul, which can no longer be a SPAA caution. I agree that the better answer is to say that advantage from the first foul never ensued so the foul is called and that miscreant is cautioned.

jarbitro repped this.
  10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what the players heard (Yueill specifically, the first player in the foul situation), but the broadcast thought the yellow was on Judson (the second player in the foul situation). We may have missed that communication, but it seemed like Yueill didn't even know he had a yellow card on that second foul.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm obviously just watching the short clip, but I wouldn't have known who Ford had cautioned on Yeuill's first card if the clip didn't say that Yeuill was the recipient. At the very least, Ford didn't do the greatest job of isolating Yeuill to give him the card. I sometimes get ahead of myself and don't do a great job of this in my matches, so I'm always watching for this when I watch games on TV.

In a situation like this where two fouls happen in quick succession, it's important to make sure everyone - particularly the cautioned player for obvious reasons - know he's the one getting the card. It would be interesting to know if Yeuill actually knew if he was sitting on a caution.

TyffaneeSue and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  12. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I’m ok with the review in the Nani red card. It’s pretty forceful studs to the upper ankle. It’s pretty much a clear red card for me, I don’t think there’s a very strong argument in favor of a yellow.

13. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I believe that THEORETICALLY you could caution both players for Stopping / interfering with a Promising Attack under the 2019-20 LOTG, because the clause that stops you from cautioning for SPA when advantage is played isn’t in those Laws yet. In theory, the first caution would be for interfering with the promising attack, and the second one would be more for stopping it.

Obviously, not recommending this as a good PRACTICAL approach at all! There’s no need for two cards there, but I think it would be theoretically possible.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah should still be possible to have two SPA yellows here.

As for the Nani challenge, I am totally fine with red, but I can't shake the feeling that it might fall short of the clear and obvious threshold in the opinion of the people who judge these things.

15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know stills don't always tell the full story, but it's pretty hard to argue against a red if this is all you see. Nani is coming in with his leg locked and at a downward angle. Definite potential for a serious injury on this type of challenge. If I'm VAR and the referee calls this a yellow, I'm probably asking him to take another look at it.

16. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was very unclear on the broadcast who got the card for sure. It was just as unclear as to whether the players knew. Yeull was over 10 yards away from Ford with Judson in between when the card was shown. There whistle wasn't until Judson pulled on the attacker, but that may have been more of an advantage delay. (Also unclear if there was going to be a card until Yeull kicked the ball away.)

That said, Yeull reacted hard to the 2nd yellow and did not seem to be further surprised when the red came out. I think he knew he was on a yellow.

17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that a bit different... a mature player (beyond his years) trying not to impact the team more than he had. But you could be right too.

My only point in this thread was that the Ref's intent wasn't clear and I hope his assessor had that conversation with him.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appeal upheld.

At this point, I will be surprised if PRO supported the review.

19. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nani has committed two red card offences recently and got away with no after-match discipline.

The first was because the ref assault wasn’t punished and the referee didn’t pursue post-match. And the second was because the red was given via VAR, rather than on-field (because I agree PRO’s issue wouldn’t be with the card, but with the standard for VAR intervention).

What are we doing? How has VAR made things easier or more consistent?

20. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    11/08/20
    Chicago Fire vs New York City FC
    Soldier Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Fotis Bazakos
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Peter Balciunas
    4TH: Tori Penso
    VAR: Victor Rivas
    AVAR: Eric Boria

Columbus Crew vs Atlanta United
    MAPFRE Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Chico Grajeda

D.C. United vs Montreal Impact
    Audi Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Brian Poeschel
    4TH: Thomas Snyder
    VAR: Armando Villarreal
    AVAR: Adam Wienckowski

Inter Miami CF vs FC Cincinnati
    Inter Miami CF Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: Jeffrey Swartzel
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

New York Red Bulls vs Toronto FC
    Red Bull Arena (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Eric Weisbrod
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Daniel Radford
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Orlando City vs Nashville
    Exploria Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Brooke Mayo
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Philadelphia Union vs New England Revolution
    Subaru Park (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Brian Dunn
    4TH: Adam Kilpatrick
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Houston Dynamo vs Colorado Rapids
    BBVA Compass Stadium (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Ian Anderson
    4TH: Malik Badawi
    VAR: Rosendo Mendoza
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Los Angeles FC vs Portland Timbers
    Banc of California Stadium (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Diego Blas
    4TH: Elijio Arreguin
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

Minnesota United FC vs FC Dallas
    Allianz Field (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Lukasz Szpala
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

Real Salt Lake vs Sporting Kansas City
    Rio Tinto Stadium (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Silviu Petrescu
    VAR: Allen Chapman
    AVAR: TJ Zablocki

Seattle Sounders vs San Jose Earthquakes
    CenturyLink Field (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Jeff Hosking
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Vancouver Whitecaps vs LA Galaxy
    Providence Park (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

21. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How many 4th’s for Elijio Arreguin and Lukasz Splaza? Possible trials in the future maybe?

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This^

The review panel’s lack of intervention on the first incident and subsequent intervention on the second is a joke.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The review panel is the wrong villian in the first instance. There is now a Ref Assault Committee and Policy specific to PRO (rather than within the auspices of USSF) that the PSRA worked very hard on--and means such discipline is (at least in certain instances) outside the direct jurisdiction of the IRP or DisCo. And it's worth noting that even without such a committee and policy, the DisCo deals with incidents not punished, while the IRP only deals with appeals of red cards.

There was an avenue and mechanism to pursue that would have resulted in Nani being suspended for the first instance. But it didn't have buy-in from all required stakeholders, unfortunately.

24. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s fair, but based on the failure of whatever current system is in place I can’t really feel like we need to give anyone on any of the committees a break.

Whatever convoluted system is currently managing all the different variations of missed, incorrectly applied or too severe discipline isn’t working when stuff like this happens.

Keeping the different committees like this straight on what they can and cannot act on is far too complicated.

These are laws of the game questions almost exclusively. It should be referees (and former referees) and ONLY referees making these decisions.

Allowing the other parties to insert their own political motivations into the process removes the impartiality.

jarbitro repped this.
  25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Whether a player should be suspended is not a Law question at all. The LOTG solely address what happens within the confines of a game.

I don’t disagree that there are significant problems with how MLS handles these, but I don’t know that the solution is to have only referees make those decisions. There may be one, but I’m not aware of a professional league in any US sport that relies on refs to make those decisions. But I also think, f I’m what I’ve seen, that the other sports do a better job than MLS. (Putting aside that no Astros players were suspended for participating in the biggest cheating scheme in recent US professional sports history,)