2020 MLS Week 2 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by TheRealBilbo, Mar 3, 2020.

1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I could’ve sworn I saw a touch on the first replay. Then the second slow one I can’t see a touch at all. So offside for me.

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm hearing, too. I didn't look close enough and made myself look slightly foolish. Oh well!

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I was talking about on Twitter is that the DisCo, should they deem it necessary (and I personally don't think they will), have the power this year to suspend Cruz for one game IF PRO agreed that Sibiga was wrong. If PRO tells them the call was correct, and the DisCo disagrees they can issue an Official Warning that then allows them to bypass PRO completely if that player offends again in their opinion.

It's an interesting compromise so to speak from previous years with video review where the DisCo could only suspend for 2+ matches if they decided something was missed. They can still do that regardless of what PRO has to say.

There is absolutely zero chance this didn't happen partially as a result of that elbow Zlatan got away with last year. Hell, it's basically already how they handled it, except they didn't have the option of suspending him with PRO's "blessing" (which they wouldn't have gotten in that case anyway).

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well shoot, I was hoping I was wrong when I noticed I didn’t see the yellow. Wonder how this will play out the rest of the season if this happens again.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The caution was wrongly not given. PRO has noted that internally (it will probably be noted publicly).

So yes, it was a miss and not some PRO directive to ignore the LOTG. Going forward, the yellow card will be given for goalkeeper encroachment in MLS.

6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the update.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were like his 20th follower, so he has time to cultivate each of you individually. ;)

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, I didn't follow him, he followed me. :D