2020 MLS Week 15 & 16 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Oct 3, 2020.

1. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what 'normally' means? Obviously, things are not being done normally at the moment.

2. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, your reference is to pregame procedures and mechanics at lower level pro and semi pro matches where there is usually not a paid league official present. So your “normally” isn’t even relevant to the procedures for checking rosters at the MLS level where the PME has that duty.

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My normally was in direct reference to how MLS operates pre Covid.

4. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Are you sure? I mean you also thought Franz was an AR. ‍♂️

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I'm always being cheeky.

But in the case of open AVAR slots, it's been my understanding that the majority of these were never assigned in the first place, although there have been instances where someone was unable to fulfill the role due to the sort of concerns you referenced as well. Maybe it's been more of the latter than I am aware.

RSL in particular have had several matches now without an AVAR, although they do have someone assigned tomorrow for their match at Seattle. Looks like PHI/CHI will go without this round.

It's an issue of logistics, I'm sure. Fixtures are congested, assignments are being made with significantly less notice and volatility, and availability is more limited than usual. The match day with five open AVAR spots was particularly striking.

I do wonder about PRO's contingency plans if, say, a VAR is a no-go at the last minute. I imagine it ranges from swapping in the fourth, to swapping in the referee and giving the fourth the whistle, to running a VOR from a remote location. I'd almost bet the latter is the preferred solution considering they've already done it, but those were pre-planned I think. Best case scenario we never have to find out.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I simply have no idea how that doesn't get sanctioned as a red card. That's about as textbook of a scissor tackle as you can get. It's bench side and has the potential to be the match on the gasoline of a lopsided match.

It's bench side, so unless the fourth is otherwise occupied he also should have had a decent look. If I'm the fourth and I see this, I'm absolutely getting the center's attention and recommending a send-off.

Also, I realize I'm probably being really dense here, but what does PME mean in this context?

7. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    PME stands for Professional Match Evaluator. PME is employed by MLS to monitor technical area behavior, game presentation, and overall compliance with MLS policies. Think of him/her as the eyes and ears of the league.

8. orangefc

orangefc New Member

Atlanta United FC
    United States
    Jun 7, 2018
    MLS DisCo also declined to act. I guess because a yellow was shown?

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you can tell for sure is that they didn't reach a unanimous decision that it should have been a red card. It didn't get to the point where PRO would have weighed in, and who knows why anyone on the panel would have voted one way or another. It's one former referee, one former coach, and three former players this year if I'm not mistaken. The coach position is new. Used to be a league representative.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, no. You can’t tell that for sure.

PRO needs to concede it was a missed review for the DisCo to act. So even the framing above about the DisCo “declin[ing] to act” isn’t necessarily accurate. Or, in this case, accurate at all.

11. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suppose there is another possibility I did not consider. The DisCo may have unanimously decided it was a red card, did not get an admission of error from PRO, but ultimately chose not to issue an official warning, or perhaps these warnings are kept private as to not step on anyone's toes. Only the club and MLSPA are required to be informed per the rule (screenshot below).

The warning grants the DisCo the opportunity to suspend the player for a similar offense later in the season without input from PRO. Screenshot_20201007-164250.jpg

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I don't get the uproar about the scissor tackle. Yeah it should be a red card, it's not been given probably dozens of times. Not a hill to die on, I don't get the big deal.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be the DisCo's logic, assuming they think it's red. Is it such an egregious miss that they'd need to come out publicly against PRO? There's no significant injury to speak of, which clearly separates it from the warning they issued to Zlatan last year after he fractured someone's skull.

LampLighter repped this.
  14. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  15. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

16. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to guess this is a case of mental trigger of a delayed VAR call and ball going in goal then instinctively blowing whistle rather than signaling the goal - realizing as the whistle was finishing (maybe with some help on mics) and then correctly giving the goal

17. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019

Video at correct time 4:03. Can we just take a moment to notice how badass this penalty call was. Saghafi makes the call, then walks casually over to where he's going to stand during the PK, not bothering to look at the players, and spits on the ground.

18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely starting to whistle thinking that he's going to call the penalty (watch his arm and his facial reaction). You can also see from his face that he suddenly has a worry of "did the ball actually end up in the goal before I whistled?"

refinDC repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 100% what happened. He got lucky--very, very lucky. And I say that as someone who has had this happen to me in the past and didn't get as lucky, so in no way trying to castigate him. It's just a good reminder to truly delay that whistle an extra second or two, which is very very hard to do when you know you have one of the game's biggest KMI decisions nailed on.

Same night and Drew Fischer didn't get as lucky. Though, with the trajectory of this ball and the unexpected nature of the finish, one would argue he simply got really really unlucky. But still... 1-2 second delay and this is a goal, rather than a penalty.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...ork-city-fc-vs-dc-united/details/video/242817

refinDC repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Montreal-Columbus reminds me of what I felt was one of the dumbest clauses in the old ATR (and, as many are aware, that's a tough competition).

The ATR taught that if a defender attempted to deny a goal via handling (and handled) but the ball went directly into the net anyway, it was a yellow card--just like today. But it also taught that a rebound was a new opportunity. So, in the case from last night, it would have called for the goal to be awarded and a red card to be issued.

I remember this getting "taught" in one of the old regional professional clinics after a relevant clip was shown for discussion. Craig Lowry was the guest instructor and Herb Silva was the lead clinician. Horror was expressed. Confusion ensued.

jarbitro repped this.
  21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This was fairly typical at many of these regional clinics back then. Some of the material being "taught" was laughable.

PH

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be fair, it wasn't like that, which is why I used quotation marks for "taught." This wasn't part of the planned curriculum.

A clip was shown that was either very similar to what happened last night or close enough that it invited such an example as a hypothetical, but it was all in the context of DOGSO v non-DOSGO. Anyway, in the resulting discussion, a clinic attendee brought up the ATR language and pointed out the red card was still required in such a situation per USSF because they were viewed as two unique OGSOs. This led to astonishment by some present, including--perhaps--one of the individuals I named above. And then an entire side conversation on if you actually should apply the provision in a professional match if it ever happened and, relatedly, whether the ATR really applied to professional matches (or at all) anymore. Fun times were had by all. Well, at least by a distinct minority.

23. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Glad that a yellow was given as there are certain referees in the league that wouldn't give a yellow for such an act even though the laws require it.

The real issue is would that yellow have been given if the player was sitting on a caution already? I think not...

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the yellow gets given in this case, no matter what, because it was so blatant and needed the rebound to score. No one can argue with the simple explanation of "guys, he stopped a goal and that's usually a red card--this is clear cut."

Now, if the shot goes in directly off the hand? Different story. Selling a yellow card or, worse, a 2CT on only an attempted handball that fails at its desired goal? Yeah, good luck with that.

RefIADad repped this.
  25. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    10/06/20
    Nashville vs Minnesota United
    Nissan Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Kevin Broadley