2020 MLS Week 13 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Sep 23, 2020.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don’t think you can read that much into it. The committee unanimously believed THIS PLAY should have been a send off. The Committee has done this, on occasion, for many years.

Note that the VAR thought it was a clear error not to send off, or he wouldn’t have sent it down. The Committee is agreeing with the VAR. I’d love to be a fly on the wall for the discussions with the R on why he didn’t show red in the first instance.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @socal lurker has a pretty good answer here.

I would add that the important thing to takeaway from this is not what the DisCo thought, but what PRO thought. There are some byzantine rules governing all this, but my understanding is that if an OFR is recommended for a red card and the referee does not give the red, then the only way the DisCo can act is if PRO concedes the VAR was right and the referee was wrong. So PRO is the lynchpin for this decision.

In other words, there could be (and I believe have been) situations where the DisCo wants to act but they cannot because PRO has determined the referee's decision on a play like this is correct or at least supportable. For this type of decision to be handed down, you need three entities (VAR, PRO, DisCo) all saying it's a red card.

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a few scenarios, but this one has proven the most common, and can also be triggered if it never goes to review at all (VAR error).

If PRO does NOT acknowledge an error, the DisCo may choose to issue a formal warning. They would then be able to suspend that player in the future, without PRO's input, should they reoffend in a similar manner.

The above all only applies when the DisCo decides there should have been a red card but that there doesn't need to be any additional suspension beyond the one game required. Should they come to the conclusion that the incident is worth 2+ games, they don't need any input from PRO at all.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    VAR does not have to agree. If PRO agrees that is was a missed red card, it does not have to have been sent down for DisCo to act. MassRef is correct that PRO's opinion is what will trigger a suspension.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. I was trying to refer to situations only when a review occurred but a red card wasn't produced. So, in those situations, the VAR would be in agreement because they made the recommendation in the first place.

Didn't mean to imply that a VAR had to make a recommendation for DisCo to act at all.

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009