2020 MLS Playoffs Play-In and Round 1

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Nov 20, 2020.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    That was my understanding. (And MLS didn’t make it up, either, it was something the old NASL came up with —and as I recall, that too, was a permitted exception (along its the offside line) that was ultimately taken away.)

LampLighter repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think your disparagement of the AR is probably completely wrong. Unlike other competitions, it appears that MLS ARs have been told that they are supposed to be making this call, so he was doing what he's supposed to—making the best call he can in the moment. And he was right! I also suspect that the instructions have been to tell the R rather than raise the flag. But I don’t know, and neither do you, which makes it totally uncalled for to assert that he didn’t have the guts to raise the flag,

As to taking it out of ARs’ hands, I’d rather do it the other way—ban it from VAR so that if the naked eye can’t tell, then it’s not an offense.

Lastly, does anyone know if ARs were doing video practice tests on this leading up to this the way they do OS tests?

usaref and OldRetiredCoach repped this.
  3. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I find a number of points made here disappointing

1. If you don’t want to use VAR to review factual decisions then what do you want to use it for? When are mistakes okay to protect the drama of a moment and when isn’t it? If video evidence is clear and obvious, the factual ones should be reviewed 100% of the time. If you don’t want it, then you don’t want it for anything.

2. That AR is a FIFA AR and don’t call it a hero call. He called what he saw. Would we be taking him over the coals if he had made an OS decision that took away a game winning goal? The problem isn’t that he made the call, it’s that the video isn’t as clear as he probably wants it to be. MLS ARs are evaluated on every call and non cal...if he’s off the line and he doesn’t call it, it’s a missed kmi (whether var fixes it or not). It’s not a “hero” call. It’s just a call.

Lastly, ARs are instructed to raise their flag. I expect every AR has different preparation tactics but I’m sure perception testing is pretty consistent among all

StarTime, KCbus and GlennAA11 repped this.
  4. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we use inches for offside as well. There are some who think that's trifling as well. In both cases, there needs to be a standard. The only standard that makes sense, where it is consistent, is to go with the actual true measurement which is a matter of fact; not judgment as most of the calls on the pitch are.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. My personal dislike for calling for re-taken penalties stems more from the fact that keepers are at such an overwhelming disadvantage on them to begin with; not with the actual laws. He's off the line, it's illegal, that's the call. Fine.

But a yellow card for it? You may as well tell keepers they have to stand still and hope the kicker hits them in the face.

davidjd repped this.
  6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so if I've read everything right, they've made TWO changes for next year:

Cautions don't carry over into KFTM, AND goalkeeper encroachment is now a verbal warning first, and a caution for a second infraction.

So in order for a keeper to be sent off during a shootout, he'd basically have to have three separate infractions? Is that right, or is my brain turning to mush?

JasonMa, StarTime and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    That’s correct. He’d be warned first, then would get a caution on the second offense, and only a send-off if he does it a third time (which would be a second caution).

8. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    11/22/20
    Sporting Kansas City vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Children’s Mercy Park (4PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Adam Garner

Minnesota United vs Colorado Rapids
    Allianz Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Drew Fischer
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Portland Timbers vs FC Dallas
    Providence Park (10PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Cameron Blanchard
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Tim Ford
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

9. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the yellow has been adjusted under the 20/21 laws, and you have to have something. Otherwise the keeper could just come off the line every time and keep causing a retake until the ball is in the net. Then there would be questions about PI at which point we'd want to put in some guidelines as to how many he got before getting cautioned.

And while the kicker has a huge advantage (which he should in a normal PK attempt given there was an offense to get the game in that situation), the success rate is still around 75% (last stats I saw). It is a skill for the keepers with some having a 40% save rate.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This is utter nonsense. Even when GKs routinely came off their line by several steps, the PK still usually scored. The reason GKs came off their line was that it wasn’t going to be called. IFAB blew it when they decided cautions were the solution—making it cautionable is irrelevant if isn’t called. (And having to give a caution just made it less likely to get called.)

With VAR (or even with attentive ARs actually prepared to call it), there is no incentive at all for a GK to come off the line, as the kicker is still probably going to make that kick, and if he doesn’t, he’s going to get another crack at it. All coming off the line early does is ruin a save if the GK makes it. The GK caution was a hopelessly bad idea when first implemented, and is even dumber in a world where GKs know they will get called for coming off the line. GKs aren’t stupid—they care more about giving up a goal than getting cautioned.

RefIADad and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Joe Machnik just said on TV that he spoke with Howard Webb, who confirmed that none of the crew will be working any further games in the playoffs this year.

rh89, djmtxref and sitruc repped this.
  12. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I wouldn't want to work another playoff game if I looked that badly. I'd have to fall back on the correct decisions were made and to really work to come up with a gameplan for next time.

rh89 and Midwest Ref repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 separate infractions for that. A GK could still get a yellow for something else during KFTM (dissent for example) and then only come off his line twice and be red carded.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious if the VAR/AVAR are included or just the four on the field. I've seen an unsourced image that seems to indicate a lack of an actual encroachment offense, but I don't know what to think because I can't confirm its validity.

MassachusettsRef and rh89 repped this.
  15. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question on the Reduce-to-Equate rules. Lets say we are in the NY-Orlando situation and Orlando is reduced to nine men. What happens if we get to the 10th round of PK's? Does the 10th NY shooter take his kick and an Orlando shooter takes his second? Or do both teams start over with second shooters? And can the teams change the shooting order going forward them there?

16. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    In contrast to last night, Saghafi has looked fantastic. Great demeanor, fitness, foul recognition. Handing out justified yellows like candy but all the players know they're legit and aren't arguing. Do wonder if there should have been 3 minutes added to the original 4 minutes of added time....

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Under current laws, you would reduce at the point someone was sent off.

18. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Is his demeanor improving? It always seems like he's not happy to be there to me.

19. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I very much disagree with this take. Every time the camera is on him he’s smiling or laughing. If there’s a point to criticize him on, it’s the lack of a second yellow card to (I believe) the SJ left back in the first half of extra time.

rh89 repped this.
  20. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Karma, they wasted a measured 2 celebrating and this way MLS/PRO get to show the fans they do know how to handle KFTM. I was wishing for a microphone on Vermes -- they really should have had one if they want excitement and to create a spectacle.

rh89 repped this.
  21. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very nice advantage leading to a goal played by Unkel just now in MIN-COL.

rh89 repped this.
  22. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    FYI, the MLS app (and maybe the website?) is listing crews for future games in their preview stories - I see Tuesday’s crews there. I don’t know if they’re accurate, but that’s interesting.

rh89 repped this.
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they're not supposed to put that up until tomorrow evening as far as I know.

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have the same 4th on two games so there's definitely at least one error.

25. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought he might whistle it once Sporting KC's keeper took the goal kick but it was "only" 2 minutes after the original added 4 minutes expired and the goal celebration took slightly longer than 2 minutes, which the keeper wound up shanking out of bounds. SJ never came close to losing possession after taking the throw-in and scored.

I thought he handled it well.

davidjd and rh89 repped this.