MLS is Back Tournament, The Bubble, and The Virus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of prefer the fake crowd noise in the Euro matches I’ve been to be honest.

Although I guess that would be particularly dumb if mls are playing in fields with little to no stands.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well they'll be playing in a cg stadium apparently

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're ignoring his third point then? Having to reschedule games isn't an indicator that things aren't going to plan?

4. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    I prefer hearing the actual noise of the match ... especially hearing them kick the ball.

But a second-second delay for "coarse language"? Oh good grief ... why are American broadcasters such utter prudes? Or do they mean the entire broadcast is delayed by 7 seconds?

5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be the second thing which will be ok.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that there have been no positive tests as a result of the bubble is my main takeaway from Grant's tweets. If the players are showing up and they are testing positive that's not a bubble failure.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 7-second delay for dumping audio is standard for live sports (and other live events) on US TV.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Yup. It's something to keep in mind for those last second prayers. Not that God couldn't overcome some sort of space-time problem but it's a lot cleaner with less paperwork just to push that penalty kick onto the post (or off it, depending).

JasonMa repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter how they get infected. If enough players are showing up infected that the games are being rescheduled, something in the plan was wrong.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrival dates. Seems like, understandably, the players didnt want to get here and be in the bubble a couple extra weeks. Without that, this was bound to happen.

mbar and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not a failure of the bubble. That's a failure on the planning side and players not being isolated for longer, not the bubble itself.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did I suggest the bubble failed?

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter if the bubble failed if players bring it TO the bubble.

Once it's there, it's there.

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    The bubble is wonderful. Now cancel the damn thing.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's more than obvious that MLS players don't know how to follow instructions to keep safe. While Liga MX is up and running MLS keeps on getting more cases every day. Other leagues are playing just fine with a case here and there, not like MLS. And the tournament hasn't even started.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Every league had cases before their tourney started. The problem, as has been said it's that they didn't leave enough time to quarantine in Orlando.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #670 kirsoccer, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Salt Lake County has had more per capita cases over the last week than Orange County. And they don't have the housing space to safely house the very large MLS contingent. This isn't an 8 team NWSL tournament. There are very few locations on this continent with both the soccer facilities and housing facilities needed to pull this off.

I suppose, but so what? Could anyone ever anticipate all of the challenges presented by this? Wahl is right, if the bubble holds and the protocols established work, these positive tests now will be a minor bump in the road even if they lead to a couple of more games being rescheduled, which the Orlando Sentinel is reporting as likely to happen.

Some seem to want to pull the plug on this before giving a chance to get going. My sense from both the Nashville and FCD camps is that both are optimistic that they'll get a handle on this with protocols within the bubble. We'll see what the next few days bring, but I'm optimistic with some minor adjustments things will proceed successfully.

Others were opposed to the concept of this tournament from the beginning, and I respect that. I'm a bit more ambivalent, but these positive tests as people head into the bubble really haven't changed anything relative to that.

chrayatl repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    butters59 repped this.
  22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Stats do say that at same point we'll see a professional athlete die of this, since hundreds have probably been infected so far around the world. However I haven't even heard of 1 being hospitalized...

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  24. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

25. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    In case you were wondering if players were worried.

1278857133866524677 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.