2020 MLS Cup Champions 2021 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the clicks....

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #652 Bill Archer, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Au contraire, Pierre.

They are just brimming with hard news scoops like this astonishingly fact- free, not-at-all-puffery piece of stupid touting Austin.

Note that the "source" for all the predictions about Austin FC is Jon Arnold who is a writer for......mlssoccer.com. The author literally interviewed the guy in the next cubicle.

They aren't news reporters, they're just in-house hacks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/02/07/austin-fc-can-potentially-be-most-exciting-mls-team-texas?amp

catfish9 repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #653 Bill Archer, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    As long as we're on the subject, I'd like to know why the team brain trust isn't interested in Kelvin Leerdam.

He's easily one of the top 3 right backs in MLS - some observers say he's the best - has been an automatic starter on a multiple Cup winner, is 30 years old, scores goals, terrific in possession, stays healthy and has a green card.

Probably a bit pricey but is certainly several notches above the rb we just signed. Almost anyone would say he's an upgrade from Harry, and that's not a put down of Harry. It's just how good he is.

Tobias C repped this.
  4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's part of what makes it funny...internal employees speculating on other potential internal employees and shared externally on your company's website.

5. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine cap space has a lot to do with it. Essentially the same cap hit as Afful and not that much younger, even if he is significantly younger.

I would think the Matan is a Young Money signing, which gives him a cap hit of 150,000 for the next 5 years and the utility they picked up with Hairston would hit the cap about the same. The logic of waiting for a summer RB pickup similar to Valenzuela while making these signings at least makes some sense in my head.

It’s really hard to tell some stuff because MLS is so secretive with salary cap. We know Bez is a magician since he worked at the HQ and probably know the rules better than anyone.

redi44crew, TrueCrew, TRUJDUB and 2 others repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this thought earlier in pre-season. The scuttlebutt at the time was that Leerdam was either going to re-up with Seattle or head back to the Netherlands.

Bill Archer and Tobias C repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have thought Hairston would have been announced by now. Maybe next week?

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Leerdam has a Green Card. So he does not use an INT spot. Pretty pricey, though. Crew96fan is on the money there.

If he's changed his mind on his binary choice (home or Seattle), he is worth a look.

Tobias C repped this.
  9. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From what I was told we had a really solid RWB ready to be signed and last minute he decided to stay abroad. It would have (IMO) been a great signing but I wouldn't worry, this FO and ownership group has proven they will identify talent that fits and spend when they need to. That will continue even if we occasionally miss the big fish we targeted.

TrueCrew, Pauncho, crew2112 and 11 others repped this.
  10. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why would Yedlin want to play in Turkey of all places? His decision I suppose. We move on.

stanger repped this.
  11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$$$$$$

TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.
  12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to make the World Cup you are going to have to be playing at an extremely high MLS level to get in. Staying in Europe is going to get you a better shot at making the team.

You got Cannon, Reynolds, Dest who can all play right back.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree but is Turkey really a better way to impress Berhalter than kicking ass in MLS week after week?

The Super Lig isn't that much higher level, and at least in MLS the visibility is much better.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galatassary are not your average Super Lig team. Very good chance of CL football. Almost certainly Europa League.

For my money, Super Lig is significantly above MLS. He's playing for a better team than any Yank save for the guys battling for European spots in big 5 league + guys at Portuguese/Dutch powers (Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord).

TKyle and TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like too many leagues these days, Super Lig comes down to Galatasary, Besiktas and Fenerbach (did I spell that right?). Nobody else really has the money.

But realistically, does Yedlin have that much of a shot at making the team for Slaveland? At this point he's clearly not #1 and might not even be #3. I know World Cup dreams die hard and that's understandable but I'd rather have them die someplace other than Turkey.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's certainly making a much bigger salary in Turkey than he could in MLS, though. According to Sounder at Heart:

Maybe he thinks he'll return to MLS after he's made one last big payday in Europe? In any event, he'd have to be willing to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary annually to play in MLS now.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I sorta argued he was down the depth chart I could flip my own argument and say he is close to being a starter.

Dest - shouldn’t play RB as he is obviously better in the left.
    Reynolds - hasn’t seen the field for Roma and only has half a season of professional games. Currently has visa problems and is in the US

Now we are down to Cannon as the main competition. He is playing regularly for the 17th best team in Portugal. He has has an up and down season. Isn’t likely to give a lot in attack but a real solid defender.

Yedlin is a bit of the reverse but has some veteran experience that could be helpful for what is a very young team assuming we qualify.

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, traditionally that is certainly true about the Turkish Big 3. But I'd note that nine of those teams were top 2 last year (Istanbul Basajsehir & Trabzonspor).

Anyway, playing at Gala certainly is a higher level than Cannon at Boavista in terms of team quality. Portugal's Big 3 is a cut above Turkey's, no doubt.

FWIW, UEFA coefficients for leagues/nations at the moment:

1. Spain 93.855
    2. England 93.140
    --------
    3. Italy 73.438
    4. Germany 72.570
    -------
    5. France 55.248
    --------
    6. Portugal 47.949
    -------
    7. Russia 38.382
    8. Netherlands 38.000
    9. Belgium 36.500
    10. Austria 35.825
    11. Scotland 33.125
    12. Ukraine 33.100
    13. Turkey 30.100

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to pick 4 FBs for the Nats right now, Yedlin would still be one. Though he has not had a call in a while.

1. Dest
    2. Cannon
    3. Robinson
    4. Yedlin

Vines & Reynolds would be next.

Tobias C repped this.
  20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way for me to post a top 4 would be by deciding what their function in the team would be. I also really like Vines and hope he gets out of Colorado soon.

21. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder where the whole Alex Matan dealio stands.

23. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lease with an option to buy. This has to mean he wanted to go there. Bummer!

25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's behind an awful lot of decent players. I doubt he's got a chance to be second choice at any spot. While it would be nice if we could keep home growns, if we don't have a way to get them games, it has to be better to let them go elsewhere.

catfish9 and the_rickler repped this.