2020 MLS Cup Champions 2021 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The champion of the last three editions of League 1 wants to close the winter transfer window in style. FANATIK found out that the Transylvanians are trying to bring Alexandru Mățan, from Viitorul Constanța, but he is also offered from MLS, the American football championship.
    Cristi Bivolaru confirms interest in Mățan from the United States. Fanatik found out it was Columbus Crew

2. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He’s a 21 yr old who has played for 2 teams. Each has a home ground with 4500 seats.
    Unless our scouting network knows something that no one else does, I don’t see how this guy amounts to anything. Seems more like an agent looking for a better deal.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #603 Bill Archer, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Reports have him about to sign with NYCFC.

He's exactly the kind of guy you bring in under the new U22 rules.

[​IMG]

Tobias C repped this.
  4. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #604 Tobias C, Feb 23, 2021
    Well, id love to have him. With our busy schedule, Zelarayan could take days off for rotation and rest and Santos and Molino wouldnt have the burden of picking up the slack. From what I see he could actually be a wing option as well, basically like those 2 guys so he could probably spell any of the spots in the attacking midfield.

I think this is more likely to be an NYCFC signing though. CAM is a position of need for them in about the same way RB is for us. They have Maxi Moralez but hes turning 34 in a few days and while still "good" isnt the same player he was when he came to that team and they're looking for his successor. Also, NYCFC have a history of shopping in that region with signings such as Heber and Mitrita.

At this point, even though we dont have a clearly defined, assigned CAM backup, we have Santos and Molino who can easily slot in as well ad Nagbe in a pinch. And beyond them, I can see both Berhalter and/or Parente being candidates for consideration as well. I wont complain if we happen to land this guy though!

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fanatik a aflat formația din America unde se va transfera Alex Mățan de la Viitorul. „Ofertă concretă” Exclusiv

UPDATE, February 22, 1:56 p.m.
    From THE FANATIKinformation, the band that is very close to obtaining Alex Matan's signature is Columbus Crew. The final details of the transfer will be finalised after the match Future – Poli Iasi, which will take place on Monday, February 22nd.

UPDATE, February 22, 1:20 p.m. Cristi Bivolaru, the general manager of Future, confirmed that there is a good chance that Alex Matan will go to play in MLS, but not in New York City, where Alex Mitriţă played.

It's a concrete offer for Matan. The continent is correct, the team was incorrect. It's very likely I say! Hagi will never prevent a player from leaving for the better. That was the case with Iancu, and with Luckassen, and now with Matan",said Cristi Bivolaru at PRO X.

UPDATE 6 FEBRUARY, 20:25 / At the express request of Edi Iordănescu, CFR Cluj has started negotiations with Gică Hagi for the transfer of Alexandru Matan, from Viitorul Constanţa.

Aware that he is one of his team's best players, but also because he currently has a concrete transfer offer from the United States, Hagi asked for 1.4 million euros in exchange for Matan.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we do sign this guy, and if he's any good, I want some of the credit for my recent and on-going binging of the series What We Do in the Shadows.

Ueberjames repped this.
  7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've made good choices in what you are doing with your free time. Planning to rewatch the movie and the 2 seasons of the show sometime soon.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was recommended by a friend. The Office meets Spinal Tap meets Dracula. What a trip.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as skeptical about if this player will be good enough. He isn't crushing the competition in Romania which I personally would rank lower than MLS in terms of overall talent.

crew2112 repped this.
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5'5" with 78 professional games = 4 goals. Only 21. Appears to be Romanian youth national team regular. HMMM?

Need to see some film before I get my panties in a bunch.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Monday match referred to above - which they were theoretically waiting for before finalizing a deal - was postponed. It now seems to be scheduled for today, but my Romanian is a but rusty.

Reminds me of the time I was watching a men's open indoor game just south of Cleveland.

The players would call out to each other in a language I didn't even recognize let alone speak. Finally I asked a woman I knew who was standing next to me if she knew what it was. "Well" she said, "that team is speaking Serbian and the other team is speaking Romanian, and the guys waiting for the next game are all speaking Croatian."

Gotta love Cleveland.

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB, crew2112 and 2 others repped this.
  13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grew up playing in those games. "Who we playing today?" "Oh, it is the Croatians? Romanians? Germans?...oh thats right it's the Serbians"

TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #614 Bill Archer, Feb 23, 2021
    crew2112 repped this.
  15. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To answer her question; No I am not offended.

DGA57v2 and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone be interested in Kelvin Leerdam for RB?

Hes a free agent, has his green card, and plenty of experience and success in this league and is only 30. He wants to stay in the league. I'd rather have a young guy, but if that doesnt happen I would be content with Leerdam.

17. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he made $155K in 2019. Presumably is getting an increase on the free agent market. Only played 405 minutes last season. I doubt he's the guy the club expects to take over as our next right back. But he's cheap, provides veteran depth and we have room on the roster for him.

TrueCrew, Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Meh. Nothing against him but he doesn't seem to add much either.

20. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Based on what exactly? He has 7 years or so of MLS experience, mostly at right back and is 8 years younger than Afful. Plays the same wingback style that we use in our game plan and has goals and assists at this level (20 combined in just over 110 games).

I don't know much about him so I'll refrain from making an assessment as you did. Maybe he's a dud but I trust Bez and Porter a bit more than you or me.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and CybrSlydr repped this.
  21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He certainly is not a long term option. It’s a depth signing but affordable and you don’t have to try and figure out if he can transition into the league well.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB and zman31 repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Based on the tweet announcing his signing that says he plays in the middle of the field. If he is to compete with Afful for the RB position, it's unambitious.

23. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good depth signing can play RB snd we prob sign another guy in summer window .

he has plsy RB & RW before last year . Didnt he plsy mostly RB for Rapids ??? I’m not really sure but it’s a cheap and much needed depth signing i like it

Tobias C repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depth.
    Maybe cover for RB but not a long-term fix?

25. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    He is a wingback that can also play right midfield (like Cadden did). Minnesota played him in the midfield but his best years were playing wingback for Colorado.

During 2017, Hairston played the majority of the season at right back, but still managed to tie his career high for goals with 3 while also adding 4 assists.

On February 20, 2019, Hairston made his first appearance in a CONCACAF Champions League match, playing the whole 90 at right wingback in a 2-0 loss to Toronto FC. Hairston suffered a knee injury on March 31 in a win over the Philadelphia Union that required surgery and forced him to miss 2 months. He returned to action on June 6 in a 2-0 loss to Nashville SC in the US Open Cup.

It looks like injuries have affected his play in the last couple of years. After Cabrera was fired at Houston, he never played for new coach Arnaud and was then traded to Minnesota where he barely played.

TRUJDUB and zman31 repped this.