Review: 2020 Media discussion thread - not going with the Flo...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 22, 2020.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the news that’s fit to print.

How to watch, where to watch.

Gripes and grumbles.

VPN information welcome.

Cheers,

James

Winoman repped this.
  2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    X2 on the VPN. If anyone has figured out how to stream VPN on IOS using NordVPN I'd greatly appreciate a PM on how to do it. I can do it from my PC, but not on the IOS device. Maybe I need to switch providers as Nord doesn't have that many features on their IOS app.

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your device has cellular data it usually helps to turn that off and just use WiFi. I use hotspot shield and do better with cellular off.

ESPN will sometimes require GPS/Location information on and I haven’t quite figured out how to spoof that but other services check IP location and not GPS.

James

Winoman repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [OldManRant] I don't know how anyone can watch a sporting event on their cell phones. I tried once, and thought I would go blind. [/OldManRant]

I have VPN via Norton AV, and will use that when RVing, to watch on our TV, where I can actually see the game. Otherwise, we'll watch on TV when we're at home, since we get News Channel 8 (or whatever it's called now).

dadman repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I usually airplay the phone while on VPN to the TV. I don’t have a router that I can install a VPN onto (which would be the best way if you can toggle it on and off).

James

Winoman repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    ExpressVPN works, usually better for me than NordVPN. You have to realize that the providers are always trying to break VPNs for all sorts of reasons. (When I was in Italy this summer, I used a VPN to watch stuff on Netflix, Amazon and F1 races on ESPN.) Sometimes the VPN won't work with a tablet or phone, but with a PC or the other way around. Just trial and error.

Stan Collins and Winoman repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And what do people do about games on Fox?

8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch it on Fox.

Adler, dadman, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  9. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A streaming question. For cord-cutters who want to watch on TV, Black-and-Red United indicated the match would be on FuboTV, and even provided a link. Based on the team's sparkling performance Saturday, I'm looking into getting Fubo, but wondering whether anyone inside the geofence was able to watch (legally) on Fubo or any other TV streaming service? ESPN+ still had the game blacked out 24 hours after broadcast, something they didn't do under the prior arrangement with NewsChannel8. Thanks.

B&R United: Available streaming: If you live inside this blackout zone that United provided for us, you can stream the game on the team site. For everyone else, ESPN+ or FuboTV (subscribe via those link, & your friends at B&RU get some cash!).

10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    As a complilment to Hamdi's qustion, I wonder if anyone was able to stream the local broad cast to a Chromecast or Firestick device. I'm hoping to watch on a TV instead of my tiny device.

11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I’m in Germantown and was able to watch on espn+. Hope it continues.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't understand the advice regarding Fubo. I subscribed for awhile, but most of the stuff was 720p and generally not the best quality. More importantly, Fubo does not carry either ESPN and its subchannels or WJLA in the DC area. If you are in DC, you either use the DCU stream or a VPN and ESPN+.

13. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It looks like the Bible of Streaming, The Streamable, got duped by the DCU interns.
    https://thestreamable.com/sports/mls/dc-united

The DC United website lists all local games as being broadcast on "WJLA (ABC 7)," so many, many online sites indicate the games will be on YouTubeTv and Hulu. I'll assume B&R United got their information from one of those sites.

And...why is United blocking these on ESPN+ into perpetuity if there are no replays/archives on the DCU website?

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    espn+ worked for me in the stadium.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was looking all over the site after the game for it. This annoys me.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #16 Q*bert Jones III, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    The web design for ESPN+ is absolute garbage. It might be there. Or it might not. Or it might be there and you're just looking in all the wrong places.

And God help the viewer who wants to find a game and not see the score beforehand.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I couldn't even find the place to change my credit card number once my credit card expired. I just said, ******** it, and let payments stop going to ESPN+. I'm not willing to put much effort into what should be an easy task.

Winoman repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maurer's is better:

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old MLS anthem was fabulous, IMO. Why did it need to change?

sitruc repped this.
  21. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

Also thats exactly how I feel about the new morning edition theme.

sitruc repped this.
  22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to try in Oxon Hill next Saturday to see if I can get it to work on the ESPN+ App.

23. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    I live in Fairfax City (outside the Beltway) and I’m always blacked out on ESPN+ when home. When I take a trip out of the area I’m not.

24. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been involved in the initial design discussions back when ESPN was just kicking the tires on the idea of a streaming service, I'd say the planning for the interface started as a total sh*tshow and only went downhill from there. I'm pretty sure they've gone through four creative directors and who knows how many outside firms since launch. Thankfully, I got out long before anything even went to beta. Every time I use the service, I thank my lucky stars my name's not on that.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Were you in Bristol?

It really is staggering how bad it is. I mean, how hard is it to have a page called, I'm just spitballing here, "MLS Replays" and then have a list of MLS replays? And not show the scores in the thumbnails? Even MLSSoccer was able to pull that off.

Winoman repped this.