2020 Match Day #1 Union v. FC Dallas, February29, 2020 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Cherry Hill SOB, Feb 29, 2020.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cwelch999 repped this.
  2. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But they also have a history of talking about how important it is for small-budget, moneyball teams to convert their free kicks, and how that has been a point of emphasis for them.

3. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The corner thing is kind of funny considering how excited the crowds at PPL/Talen/Subaru get whenever we get one and we never do anything with it

4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seemed, like most guys new to MLS, to get really frustrated with the stuff people get away with in this league. I really thought he was going to get a red by the end of the game as he started to get more and more heated.

I hope it's not indicative of his normal attitude, and was truly just some frustration that he will "learn" his way out of when playing in MLS.

5. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Don't know why I always expect this team start the season with any semblance of cohesion. They seem to always start slow but I guess that is somewhat expected with the midfield we have this year and the coach that doesn't seem to be able to have them ready for the first week. Doesn't help that we seem to frequently start on the road.

I'm not gonna freak out over the first game and next week v LAFC should be a loss as well but I hope to see better play. I think Curtin threw Elliot in up top for a taller body due to Dallas packing in defenders not because he is going to be our backup striker. Yeah, Santos and Glesnes need to get used to the refs in MLS (as will Oravec and El Brujo). I think that is one of the bigger adjustments incoming players have to make. I recall Barnetta getting an early red as well as Fabian last year for the "stomp".

6. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Hope so, Santos is a 25yo pro who played in 17 games last season. His time to blame his inability to control his temper on "adjusting to a new league" is pretty much over.

7. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    On thing I came away with on offense was even tho they didn't play well it was more short and/or inaccurate passing rather than everyone not being on the "same page". That should work itself out over a few games. The fact that maybe it should have been worked out already during preseason is probably a valid criticism.

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Part of it could be because he is used to getting away with a bit more in South American leagues. MLS refs tend to actually be a little tighter in some of the off the ball stuff and tackles they allow. You can watch a game in South America descend into a street brawl when things aren't going a teams way.

jaykoz3 and sentrido repped this.
  9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For low-budget teams, the biggest thing you can create in order to mitigate some of the talent disparity is team cohesion. However, this is the Union and each year they start the season with less of it than most other opponents :(

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I am baffled that we start every season looking like we've never played together before.

cwelch999 repped this.