2020 is mercifully over (CY and RSL-Y): Offseason News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to believe that the new CBA was agreed to just earlier this year, but there was some really interesting stuff in it, especially for 2021. Mainly, I found this, “Beginning in 2021, MLS will have the discretion to allow clubs to sign up to three players who are 22 years old or younger with a reduced budget charge.”, details are still pending. I'm wondering if RSL can use this to sign some guys with the intention to flip to Europe in a year or two. Also, 3rd DP spot can be limited to max TAM salary unless the player is under 23.
    I enjoy this stuff, maybe some of you do, too. Here's a couple links I found that help explain things.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...league-soccer-players-association-sporting-kc

https://charlottefootballclub.com/m...s Discretionary TAM?,, outside of their DPs.”

Who knows what kinds of problems COVID has caused. We may never see MLS salary info from 2020. I tried to estimate what kind of room RSL had last year, but between the CBA changes and COVID, it was probably way off.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/rsl-and-tam.2108393/

Going forward, you can't trade TAM, you can only use it to pay down players making no more than $1m over the max budget charge (think Everton and Damir, but not Rusnak). Teams must spend the entirety of the salary budget and GAM. GAM can be traded and it can be used to buy down the budget charge of players.

For 2021, RSL has to spend $7.11m on the salary budget (not the same as salaries). Discretionary TAM is $2.72m if the team wants to use it. Only salaries of senior roster players count toward budget (S).
    Estimated salaries (tried to use 2019 numbers as a base, non minimum guys get 5% raiser/yr, estimated minimums from CBA):
    Ochoa-$70k in 2019, ~$75k in 2021 (roster min)
    Glad-$367k in 2019, ~$410k in 2021 (~10% raise) S
    Holt-$70k in 2019, ~$75k in 2021
    Everton-$1.1m in 2019, ~1.25m in 2021, charge of $651k S
    Portillo-$70k in 2019, ~$75k in 2021
    Chang- ~$95k in 2021? senior roster min? S
    Martinez-$56k in 2019, ~$75k in 2021
    Schmitt-$70k in 2019, ~$75k in 2021
    MacMath-$190k in 2019, ~210k in 2021 S
    Herrera-new contract, Brooks was $230k in 2019, so ~250k for 2021 S
    Morgan-$135k in 2019, ~$135k in 2021?, TOR didn't want him at that number S
    Powder-$75k in 2021
    Silva-$777k in 2019, new contract so ~$750k in 2021? S
    Toia-$131k in 2019, ~145k in 2021 S
    Besler-$85k in 2019, new contract so Mullholland money in 2021? ~150k S
    Davis-$75k in 2021, young HG, so maybe higher?
    Kreilach-$1.08m in 2019, new contract, ~$1.6m in 2021, budget charge is no more than $651,250 S
    Ruiz-$221k in 2019, new contract, ~$350k in 2021? S
    Rusnak-$2m in 2019, ~$2.2m in 2021, max budget charge no more than $651,250 S
    Baird-$70k in 2019, new contract, ~$150k in 2021? S
    Brody-$75k in 2021
    Garcia-$75k in 2021
    Iloski-$75k in 2021
    Meram-$680k in 2019, ~$650 in 2021? S
    Ramirez- no clue, only counts as $150k toward budget. S

Guestimated salary budget total of $5.302m, which is about $100k over, so that leaves about $1.8m of GAM, but they'd have to use about $1.7m in GAM to buy down salaries. There are still other senior roster spots that could be filled, they probably haven't touched the GAM from selling/trading players last year. They may still trade/sell players. Don't expect the $2.72m in discretionary TAM to be used until there's a new owner. I'm probably wrong about all these numbers, but I might in the ballpark. In short, I believe Elliot when he says they have money they can spend.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was part of the new CBA that the Players Union wouldn't publish their salaries? It was strange they never were made public this year. Though, given how things played out, maybe that was a result of Covid and not anything new in the CBA.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in a position, sans ownership, where we pretty much have to limit our pick-ups to players within the league or those that are coming in on a free transfer that the scouting department found a quality youtube video on.

Given that, I present the idea of Dom Dwyer. His productivity is down over the past few years, so he won't demand a salary like he did previously. He is more qualified than any other forward we have. And... I'm really not excited about it, but it would be someone up top that actually plays up top.

Thoughts?

2nd Mouse repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I have never been a Dwyer fan mostly because he's a Corey Baird type only a bit more talented and could pull of the BS he displayed every game.

So yea, I would take a flyer on him. Better to have the more talented Corey Baird.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Matt Montgomery retweeted RSL resigning Luke from last year like it was happening again yesterday. Sucked me in for a second.

Ok, I deleted my “you can’t be serious” reply after a minute or two.

I was blindingly irate and then bemused and relieved.

Good one.

rslfanboy, Ismitje and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fell for that tweet as well. I got more and more frustrated as I read the replies to the original tweet about the signing being great, then I looked at the date of the tweet. Good one, Matt.

goobx1 repped this.
  7. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I'd consider it. It'll be interesting to see who else is on waivers/re-entry/FA. We'll need to find a starting caliber CB, too. Question is, will Dwyer make more or less than Rossi did last year? What about Johnson? No idea what Rossi made, but Johnson was about $770k in 2019 while Dwyer was at $1.5m.

8. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to bring you people back to Earth:

Dwyer scores the equalizer against RSL with an assist from Feilhaber. That Feilhaber.

Hate to be a dick*, but...just sayin'...

*A quick fact-check finds this to be false.

rslfanboy, Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle was hated by a lot of RSL fans before he came to RSL. I'd take 2013 Dwyer in a heartbeat. 2020 Dwyer though, I don't know. But it'll be hard for Elliott to pass on an injury plagued forward who has USL experience. Then Freddy will find a way to misuse him.

In all seriousness, I'm betting Dwyer looks for a place where Leroux can play as well. If the Royals stay put, RSL checks that box since Leroux is out of contract at Orlando. The Royals are in need of a forward with Press gone and A-Rod in limbo.

DrownedElf, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not excited about it, either. I'm just looking at the restrictions in place for RSL/Elliott Fall and trying to figure out what players even make the list of potential candidates.

Senor's comment on injury plagued USL level player is arguably the funniest thing I've read about RSL. Well played. Well played

goobx1 repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando got a lot better this season when he went down. Much more cohesive too, which is our big problem already. Hard pass.

. . . though the LeRoux angle is an interesting one, so the right price might sway me.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. Like I said, I'm not jumping at the idea. The salary would have to be below 300k for me to think it would be even worth thinking about. Not cap hit we buy down, but actual salary. Given his past salary, I'm guessing that isn't feasible.

What other names are out there that we could have even a remote shot at getting? This article on the league site gives some information, though, like most things MLS, it is still very much lacking in straight transparency.

2nd Mouse repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I guess I fully didn't grasp was just how little room there is on this roster given the decisions Fall has made. We have 25 players under contract already for 2021. Meaning the maximum amount of players RSL can bring in is 5. Which, we sure as shit better not do before the season starts and/or our ownership situation is figured out. So really you're looking at 2-3 players to be picked up.

More than that, the depth charts are... just flat out weird. We are really heavy in certain spots and incredibly thin at others. That's scary.

Here is how I see the current depth chart of 25 players on contract:
    • GK: 2 (Ochoa & MacMath)
    • RB: 2 (Herrera & Powder)
    • CB: 4 (Glad, Silva, Morgan, & Holt)
    • LB: 1 (Toia - others rotating in?)
    • D/CM: 5 (Ruiz, Luiz, Besler, Portillo, & Davis)
    • AM: 2 (Kreilach & Rusnak)
    • W: 6 (Meram, Chang, Baird, Brody, Ramirez, & Schmitt)
    • ST: 3 (Martinez, Iloski, & Garcia)
    This is not a good roster. Some items of concern for me:
    • Our CB situation got worse with Onuhoa leaving. Having 5-6 CBs on the roster seems excessive, though. Not sure what to do here. Still don't understand the Glad situation fully or how bad the contract signed with Ashtone Morgan was.
    • LB is terrible. After Toia we have nothing. Can Brody play there? Are we comfortable with that being the options?
    • The AM problem continues as Rusnak and Kreilach do not make sense in the same category but I don't know where else to put them. I also wouldn't say either is a good enough AM to be listed here, but what else do we have and where else do you play these guys that doesn't disrupt the rest of the roster/lineup?
    • We have so many average to below average wingers. I don't see how you can bring in a player there and not somewhere else first. We've really regressed in this area where we used to have talent like Burrito and Savarino. our best winger is... Meram? Chang? Jesus christ.
    • Striker is what it has been for years with this club. A conundrum that we have so many players that technically fit the spot but also nobody that should start on an MLS team that wants to be in the playoffs.
    So, given we're looking at 3 players to fill in the gaps. Priorities have to be, in this order:
    • ST
    • CB
    • LB
    Anyone think otherwise?

14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CJ Sapong? How bad a decision would Fredy Montero be?

Kind of surprised LAFC let Bradley Wright-Phillips go.

goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think that is a good list.

Only thing I would add, is shopping Rusnak to try and fill some of these holes. Although, then who do we have as a playmaker?

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have a playmaker right now so...

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Age + price. He was a pleasant surprise this year but for what he is probably asking, they can do better - and might be planning to with him even, in a renegotiation (which we may be trying with Beckerman and Putna).

2nd Mouse repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Morgan a CB? I thought he was brought in to compete at the LB position.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • He played left... out of the country. I'll be here all week

RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and Ismitje repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had started to go through each team to find defenders (CB and LB) and strikers that could be options. It became exhausting. We can't sign an international without moving one we already have on contract, so I'm completely lost on what is going to happen

21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morgan and Powder or LB's. We have no backup to Herrera. Need a starting level CB and striker/Forward. Don't see how we make it work with a 4-2-3-1 and this roster.
    Due to the weird machinations of MLS, I'm waiting to see who's available for the waiver and re-entry processes plus free agency. So much can change until the 14th-16th when it starts.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I didn't understand bringing back Portillo and Schmitt unless you don't think you can find similar quality for similar money without using an international slot. I kind of get it, but I don't like it.
    Unless we are moving Toia or Morgan (please, unless it's expensive), I don't think we're adding a LB.
    Don't know if they view Brody as Herrera's backup.
    I agree we need a top CB, we'll see who shows up as available in the next week. Maybe we can trade a little GAM for someone?
    They have to find a way to open up some international slots before the end of the summer.
    I'd pay Dwyer Meram money, maybe even what we were paying Johnson. Strikers cost more even when they aren't producing. He needs a change of scenery. We create all kinds of chances, so if he found his finishing boots again...

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would take Bradley Wright Phillips in a second. Over Dwyer for sure.

BWP would score more goals for RSL in one or two seasons than Corey Baird has his entire career. I would put money on it. $5 bucks right now.

SpiffCoug, 15 to 32 and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. Only thing Dwyer has on him (by a good margin) is age. Though that'll raise the asking price, for sure. That we didn't go after BWP last year was insane to me.

Is BWP considered an international?

goobx1 repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Don't know the if BWP is an international and I was surprised RSL didn't make a run at him too. I mean they gave Rossi a MILLION bucks according to Wonderbra. Maybe they did offer him and it was just an easy choice to go to LAFC instead. A really easy choice.

Also, I would without hesitation suggest with 100% confidence that a BWP on this roster instead of Rossi and including the utter incompetence of Freddy that RSL would have made the playoffs. 100%.

That is of course if BWP worked hard in practice and bought assigned orange slices to "earn" a shot to play.

acima repped this.