2020 is mercifully over (CY and RSL-Y): Offseason News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Nov 2, 2020.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its just funny (probably not the right word) to think how much it could backfire should a new owner come in who doesn't have the same guidelines. I seriously doubt anything like that happens (who buys RSL and thinks it's going to be ran differently than that) but still.

RSLer repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #427 15 to 32, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    This is the most succinct description of RSL 2020/19 I've seen.

Whats more infuriating with the team is that there seem to be contradictory styles in play. On the one hand, Freddy has clearly asked the back four to look for the "furthest man up the field" when in possession. Which, I am not against, but it leads to the midfield becoming an area of the field we look to bypass very quickly. This is especially apparent with the number of LONG diagonal balls the outside backs hit. Those don't always find a winger, but they are intended for that player more often than not. Which isn't a terrible tactic, it just can't be resorted to so quickly. What then happens is what is confusing.

If you're going to hit long diagonals a lot, fine, but your wing players should then be looking to expose 1v1 situations those create to get in behind. Think of the way Seattle broke down Kreis's diamond with Lamar Nagle in the early 2010s. We just didn't see that kind of play from RSL the last two years. Far too often that diagonal ball is met with a reverse pass or lateral pass into the very middle of the field we just bypassed. It's confusing. Not only that, but the speed of the attack drops drastically. We're looking to play "fast" but then meet that with very slow possession in attack. Why?

And, this all goes without mention of who is being bypassed with those balls. Rusnak, biggest contract in RSL history, is part of the field we look to skip and then hope to somehow get involved late in the play on slow build up. Thats... just dumb. Kreilach, too, is skipped in a lot of that. We're taking our top players and excluding them from the tactical focus. That's really bad coaching.

I don't get how this team is built with the players it has and doesn't play something like a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1. The 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 that Freddy keeps trying just doesn't make sense for it.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They are totally singing "Ding Dong, the witch is Dead!" I think those who stuck around for all the suffering need to hear this, start this. Those who piled on the shittiness of the culture need to be weeded out.

Plus, staff was reduced to bare bones. I don't think many would survive a whole other season completely rudderless.

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trey Fitzgerald recently started a new podcast called Bleeding Claret & Cobalt. He interviewed Rob Zarkos for his first episode. I’ve read interviews with Zarkos before, but they were never as candid as this. He talked about finding the game in ‘94 and becoming obsessed, his various career changes that brought him to DLH’s fold, practically begging DLH to let him join the team, etc. I knew he came from DLH’s company, but I wasn’t aware he was a fan before joining the team. He also talked about the academy and their long term goal, and he specifically brought up Ajax and the goal to run similar to those style academies. He mentioned the organization is uncertain how new owners will handle things, but the goal is to continue improving the academy and attract players from all over the world. It’s worth listening and was refreshing to hear his story.

5. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Doing the right thing (separating from a toxic culture ASAP) is never a bad thing with or without a new owner. All the more to put a little heat on the new owner to expect to be part of a culture...

Regarding Rubin as a "major signing"... common folks. Put away the kool-aid. The kid may do well, but frankly he got 4 goals in 5 games or something like that. Unfortunately it was 3 goals in 1 game and 1 goal in the other 4. He played a weak game. Otherwise he has hardly scored at any level due to injuries. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE on this one.

Bobby Wood is a signing and for him to not be a DP would be very good for our flexibility. Well done RSL.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about the injury issues with Rubin
    He's going to be this year's version of Rossi. Hype, some flash, and then injured for a majority of the season. Sounds fun

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bret Halsey. Generation Adidas. Midfielder
    could certainly have done worse

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Brett Halsey. I expected a center back, but when one of the GA players fell to us, it made sense to pick him. No cap hit means some additional flexibility.

RSLer repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that he projects as a right back. If we have plans to move Herrera, it makes sense to go in that direction.

10. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the pick. Fills a potential need, he doesn't count against the budget and doesn't take a senior roster spot. Although I'm curious who will be senior/supplemental this year.

Looks like 3 forwards/attacking players taken in rounds 2-3. Elijah Amo, Aris Briggs and Rene White. We'll see if any play for the Monarchs this year, they have one forward on the roster.

11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I think you're forgetting about Yura and Pool Boy

RSLer, BalanceUT, SenordrummeR2 and 3 others repped this.
  12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Funny, I don't even remember Pool Boy's real name. Orsuño, or something?

Anyway, I always thought they had a future in superhero movies. If I saw "One Chance and Pool Boy" show up on Netflix, I would assume it was some new Japanese anime show.

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget pool boy and Yura, every club has it’s hits and misses, personally I like the wood signing, not so sure about Rubio? But count me happy that this club is at least looking at fixing our deficiencies up top.

Allez RSL repped this.
  14. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    And then... there were rumors about our best remaining young player going to Seria A the day after we signed a GA right back.

Hmmm. What was that about "fixing our deficiencies"?

Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Doing some research and a few things about the Bobby Wood addition. First, nothing concrete at all, but seems likely that his RSL contract is $600K+, TAM'd down to budget. 2 yrs guaranteed, likely with a 3rd yr option.

Apparently many Hannover fans view him as a headcase. Also, not really known as a "team guy" like Dami. Last productive season was when he played at Union with Dami - that was 2015!

Also, good chance he'll be released early as Hamburg has been looking to dump him for a couple of years.

Seems like he's found a perfect landing spot! Concerned?

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  16. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a disaster and we should just stick with...

*looks around*

Yeah we'll take him.

17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

RSL Wonderbra repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sapong, Wood, Rubin, and Douglas? Good grief it will be a different world.

BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  19. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Spong had career years from 2015 - 2019 but only scored a few goals in 2020 while playing just 11 games. Covid, injuries, and a new baby contributed to his poor form.

Still, he is a proven asset in the MLS and gives us an option up top alongside Wood.

20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This all still just feels like we're moving around deck chairs on the Titanic.

Number one we need a new owner with a plan or at least some notes on a napkin.

Also, what makes ANYONE think that Freddy and anyone on this coaching staff can coach ANY player into form?

Kudos for making the moves but if you aren't willing to make the most obvious move in getting an actually qualified MLS level coach then all this other stuff is just that, stuff.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This low bar makes it easy to defend Freddy: Pablo Ruiz.

And now you've made me defend him successfully. ;)

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CJ Sapong feels a lot like when we picked up Chad Barrett. Yeah, he's been good for this league, but we're getting him at the wrong end of his career arc.

23. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't get over how Elliot filled the roster last year before the season started and he appears to be doing it again. I don't see how this team can be a couple players away from contention (I've heard the FO mention this, but maybe they're just referring to making the playoffs), look at the roster values at transfermarkt. RSL is at the bottom in total and average player value. There's a clear talent deficit.

There are 27 players signed so far. The top draft pick and Bobby Wood makes 29 out of 30. Dewsnup probably goes on season long loan, so back to 28. RSL has an open DP spot and 3 international spots, probably more as Silva, Kreilach and Martinez should get a green card soon. I'm guessing there aren't many high salary players on the team. They need to stop filling the roster with guys like Schmitt (maybe I'm wrong on him, but he showed nothing last year), Portillo and Morgan. Leave room for the new owner to bring in impact players.

I think they either need to be signing difference makers (expensive/internationals mostly) or HG's. At least don't put career backups in the way of getting HG's minutes. Need to see Davis, Iloski, Garcia and Powder play. Need to figure out if Brody and Schmitt are worth the roster spots.

RSL Wonderbra, Allez RSL, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  24. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I guess you're right. It was genius for Freddy to send him to another country to get his groove back.

Nuts and blind squirrels and such.

acima repped this.
  25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As (indirectly) mentioned above, I hope the club learns from the Pablo Ruiz situation and puts players on season long loans. The difficulty of that, however, is trying to sell a club on taking a MLS player in a covid world, even in the (hopeful) latter stages of the pandemic.

Which reminds me, the Athletic put out an article naming 6 MLS players that made sense for a short term loan with the CBA up in the air and the rumor of the MLS season probably being pushed back to May. The first player mentioned? Albert Rusnak. The conundrum of Rusnak in 2020 was spelled out with his performances with the Slovakia national team set side by side to his RSL performances. He started all of Slovakia's games that he was available for, yet he put up his worst RSL numbers since he joined the club, no matter how you cut them. Sadly, the section for Rusnak ends with the reminder of just how much money he took DLH for (~$2mil a year) and how unlikely a club is going to be willing to pick up that chunk of change right now.

You mention RSL has 3 international slots open. Can you clarify on this? I thought we had 6 of the 8 spots occupied: Kreilach, Martinez, Morgan, Luiz, Rusnak, and Silva. If RSL really has 3 open international slots but only 2 open roster slots (assuming Dewsnup loan) then Fall essentially took an international slot from LAFC for them not to use it. That's... some weird GM moves. And should MORE players move off the international slot designation, then the international slot from LAFC becomes that much more confusing. It's only for a year, so it's not like it's a forward thinking move, either. It's just dumb.