2020 is mercifully over (CY and RSL-Y): Offseason News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a great article from the league website about Project 40 (or P-40), the first youth initiative launched in the late 1990s when there were no reserve teams of any kind. Ex-RSLers Kyle Beckerman, Nick Rimando, and Seth Tremblay all feature.

RSLer repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the off-season just got more interesting and potentially much longer.
    MLS invokes force majeure clause to renegotiate the CBA that was agreed to this past summer. This could be tricky. I want to side with the players, but so much revenue is game day driven, so I think I understand where MLS is coming from.
    Wish we knew what the players gave up in the last two negotiations (previous agreement was just barely pre-covid).
    Ultimately, the best deal leaves neither party happy. (Wish politicians remembered that)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...e-clause-to-terminate-cba-source?platform=amp

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was always going to happen. The agreement of the most recent CBA is so recent yet in so many ways completely out dated.

A billion dollar league wide revenue loss isn't something the players can argue against. Typically in these type of situations I'm all with the players demanding more for their labor. But this isn't the situation. Where this will end up is a bit disheartening. Though, from an RSL perspective, it potentially gives new ownership time to (a) come into the picture and (b) get into the workings of the club. That is a selfish angle for sure, and I'll admit it is naïve of me to think that Ryan Smith/New Ownership wouldn't be off put by the league going into a lockdown.

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting part here is the MLSPA's statement that the league didn't try and open any dialogue before looking to invoke the force majeure clause. Does the MLSPA sit down for negotiations, or do they fight it? The force majeure clause wasn't added until after COVID had begun, so it will be interesting to see if it is enforceable.

5. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they had to. Not sure MLSPA has any incentive to do anything without it being invoked. They do have 30 days to re-negotiate the terms that were agreed to and ratified back in June. After that, who knows?
    There did seem to be some talk of delaying the start of the season, so there may be a little more time to negotiate, but if it goes on too long, practices and team events in preparation for the season may be canceled.
    I'm thinking negotiations will be tricky. Players gained a lot in the last few CBAs and I don't think they will want to give much back. On the other hand, revenue goes way down without fans in the stands. Why have games until you can do that? Do players get paid until that happens? Most players don't make that much to have enough set aside.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those delays actually help the league as it pushes the start date to a time where vaccines are more widely accessible and health officials can give their blessing on larger gatherings. The hard thing, though, is delays to the start of the season create a mess of scheduling given how much is on the soccer calendar for 2021.

7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kirsoccer repped this.
  8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they'll agree to something like a pay cut for now, but 'reimbursed' once things return to normal. That way the players only lose pay in the near term, while ultimately not losing pay in the long run.

There's probably no easy way to do any of it. Stuff has to change at least for the short term

9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yee-Haw pardners!! We’re gonna strengthen our Striker room with a USL player. Look out Sounders, we’re coming’ for ya.

SenordrummeR2, goobx1 and RSL Wonderbra repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I edited the title a bit - CY = Calendar Year and RSL-Y = Real Salt Lake Year.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Rubin signing. This kind of signing or acquisition we've been consistently good at, but not those of the players higher in terms of salary/profile and those lower (at least those expected to contribute). Our problem isn't guys like Rabin, Justin Meram, Kelyn Rowe, and Luis Silva, but the DPs and the people in roster slots like Luke, and Jones, and company.

So whereas this isn't an earth-shattering signing, it's a solid one and one that will help if the players slotted into the hierarchy above and below on the roster are chosen better than the past few seasons.

We won't burn a slot in the allocation order, and we won't pay a premium for a guy who might hit bigger than this. 5-7 goals in 2021 would be great.

Allez RSL, georg and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. With only a handful of senior roster spots available, I think this is about the best we can do without stepping into discretionary spending. Hopefully we save 2-3 spots on high level TAM/DP/International difference makers for when the new ownership is ready to spend.
    According to RSL.com, he'll be player 26 on the roster and we only have two keepers. So maybe we don't see much more movement this off-season. Seems like we would have to unload someone first. Does Putna come back?

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    #239 kirsoccer, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    This is from 2 days ago, so it still legitimately fits into the 2020 News thread, but a very interesting interview with Elliot Fall. A few highlights:

1) Door has been opened for Beckerman to have a long-term role with the squad
    2) Still able to sign players within MLS budget limits (which prohibits DP signings that are outside of that budget)
    3) He's just as in the dark on ownership talks as the general public
    4) Recognizes that this org has gotten away from being that "special place" from a culture standpoint that it was back in Garth/Kreis days, but feels like some of that's turning already. Credits John Kimball for helping with that
    5) Typical hints at additions coming, which I assume include the recent word of Rubin signing although that wasn't specified
    6) Credit to Garth for many things, but especially how his vision led where RSL is from a youth development standpoint.
    7) Force majeur discussion

https://www.spreaker.com/user/broadwaymedia/elliot-fall-12-30-20?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=user:4650595&utm_term=episode_title

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  15. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howdy folks, I am back from my hiatus. Interesting news or disastrous is that the great Freddy is looking to bring great friend of the club, Pablo Mastroeni as an assistant.

SenordrummeR2, RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind that. He'd be an interesting assistant.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That aspect of it is definitely weird. It's one reason why becoming a head coach for a team you came up with and love is a risky proposition, because the most likely outcome is being fired sooner or later and the chances of remaining with the team at that point are slim - especially if you were truly terrible like Pablo was as HC.

Though it seems Ben Olsen might be charting a different path with DC, which promised him a role with the club when they fired him.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    This feels like a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Lizzie Bee, SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean when Freddy gets fired and we just promote Pablo?

georg, SenordrummeR2, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    This is definitely the way it looks to me. Kinda like when Petke was hired to coach the Monarchs.

Also, word on the street is Freddy recruited him.

Honestly, after a failed Head Coaching stint and then several years as an assistant and a few more years distanced from his actual playing days, I think Pablo might have a good chance.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see him stuff a jersey down his shorts at the Dick!!! I'd make sure we got his gofundme set up quick and successfully to pay the fine.

RSL Wonderbra repped this.
  22. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Not sure what's happened in Houston for him, but also why would Pablo have interest in making what seems to be a very lateral move to a club that has gotta be viewed as a train wreck right now? (I know, I know - he spent a lot of time with the Rapids, so he's comfortable with train wrecks).

KB5 has a lot of respect for Pablo. With Elliot's comment earlier in the week that they've let Kyle know he has a place with the club when he's ready. Maybe those two could team up once again - this time off the pitch.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night I did a web search for Pablo Mastroeni + Freddy Juarez to see what else was out there. There was a link to a long-ago story - 2004 - when Beckerman and Borchers and Kotschau and Pablo were all active players and one Freddy Juarez was on a trial. But nothing else linking them.

RSLer repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same

Lizzie Bee and JasonMa repped this.
  25. 15 to 32