PBP: 2020 House and Senate Elections (Maybe even State level)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2019.

?

Will Congress stay divided after the 2020 election

Poll closed Nov 6, 2020.
  1. Yes, different parties will control each chamber.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No, Republicans will keep the Senate and retake the House of Reps.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, Democrats will keep the House of Reps and retake the Senate.

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  4. No, a great 3rd party take over of Congrees will happen.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa Murkowski is way more popular among Alaska Dems than GOPs. Point being, she has two choices for 2022. Either get beat in a primary and do the write in thing again, or declare herself another Angus King, an independent who caucuses with the Dems. (I know Bernie is the same, but Bernie isn't a centrist; he's an independent because the Dems are too far right for him.)

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/7/10/1959701/-It-s-time-for-Lisa-Murkowski-to-leave-the-GOP

"Amazingly, among Republicans, those job approval numbers are an eye-popping 17-71%! She is loathed inside her own party. Meanwhile, Democrats’ approvals of her are at 41-41%!"

This also probably has some meaning for the AK senate and house races, but damned if I know what that is.

And of course you know what's coming

will lead to this

dapip and sitruc repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell.......

sitruc repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... there has always been claims that Coulter’s hardcore Conservativism was always an act that she player because she found out she could make bank with it..

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, she was Candace Owens BEFORE Candace Owens?

song219, Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another note though (separate from my previous reply to this), there was a great episode of THE BOONDOCKS in which your claim was backed by the storyline. She had a big "roughneck" Black dude as a boyfriend (who had dreads I think) who she ran to as soon as she finished her crazy racist spiel on camera.

sitruc repped this.
  6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...is also my enemy.

I look forward to your donations being weaponized against progressives soon enough.

dapip, Matrim55, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You understand hybrid warfare? Mutually benefit objectives. When those objectives are no longer aligned alliances shift.

You also understand that “Trump & Trumpism” are their targets and they are planning beyond the general election right?

That being said, I hope the left is paying attention to how dynamic and effective they are at getting the message out.

Near term objectives are my priority, and I can “adjust fire” as needed

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Meidas Touch and Lincoln Project folks are all millionaires. Democrats running for state rep & senate seats in swing states aren't. Donate to them instead -- your money will go farther, and if the candidate wins, it'll have legs.

I'm going to see if the DataForProgress folks who did "Give Smart" in 2018 have the same thing planned for 2020.

Taking back state-houses is the underfunded key to this whole damn thing.

EDIT: Looks like FutureNow is where it's at these days: https://www.futurenow.org/

Dr. Wankler, sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ...and they have YOUR money to use against all of us.
    A few weeks ago, I was "thisclose" to donating to them, for many of the reasons you have raised in your posts.
    Then I thought about who they are and how bright Schmidt and Wilson (and, likely, the rest of them) are and it occurred to me how dangerous they can be.

Yes, and that is my fear.
    Their target beyond the general election will likely be Democrats.
    They are fine tuning their attacks and their presentation.
    Pivoting to attack Biden, Pelosi, et al will be a piece a cake. Admittedly, it will not be "as easy" as Trump, but it won't be difficult, either.

Republicans understand the long game, way better than Democrats.
    Look at their "judicial training" program. They have been dogged in grooming law students for decades and it has been a spectacular success for them (to the detriment of the nation).
    Hell, the Kochs have been at it for over 40 years and it only started paying dividends in the past decade or so.

Boandlkramer, sitruc and Matrim55 repped this.
  10. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good points... [emoji33]

For now, I want to see their ad broadcast on TV to counter that dumb disingenuous Trump 911 ad I’m seeing on CNN and MSNBC....

Dr. Wankler, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Twitter is not exactly representative of the Maine voters but that is pretty epic. Collins posted some silly tweet about unemployment fraud, she got around 150 Likes and 10 times more comments dragging here all over the place and also linking to Gideon's fundraising (her opponent). Susan is really clueless.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, this is what I'm looking for: a list of swing state legislature seats in swing states. These are the races that can give us control of state houses and put an end to gerrymandering and voter suppression, which are the twin Holy Grails for Dems right now.

Full list:

Given the demographic shifts of the past four years and those expected over the next four, ending voter suppression could just about take some of these states off the table in presidential elections while ending gerrymandering could put the House out of reach.

Then there's the simple matter of local stuff like medicare expansion and the end of ridiculous crap like the trans bathroom laws (and such) that the NCGOP etc have put into place.

If you want to permanently change the country, this is the best bang for your buck.

appoo, sitruc, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, I want them to devastate Trump with ads on Fox and OANN.
    And then go away.
    Just don't think the second part will happen.

I should mention that my criticism of Schmidt and Wilson comes from respect. They about the only Republican strategists I respect. But that respect is mixed with more than a bit of fear.
    They are so good at this, that they could be terrifying in the future.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That woman really wants to lose.... That should be an other ad right there.

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) compared the police officer who killed George Floyd to the Justice Department officials investigating Donald Trump, during an interview with a local radio station earlier this month.

"The example of George Floyd, you know, that was a bad actor, a bad policeman. We do have bad actors at the FBI and Justice Department as well," Ernst told KXEL, an Iowa talk radio station, on July 3 referring to investigations into Trump prior to the 2016 election.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...who-killed-George-Floyd?utm_campaign=trending

sitruc, xtomx, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not shocking at all. This same cabal loves to compare relatively trivial things (like wearing masks) to events like the holocaust and slavery all the time. So this is pretty much par for the course.

sitruc repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Her supporters think this is a Lib-owning comeback.

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it matter that much? Not really!

Does it make me feel good? You betcha!

FWIW, Eastman is VERY far left, endorsed by the Justice Democrats, AOC, DSA, etc. If she's able to win a purple seat it could be a bellwether.

And if she becomes the Sherrod Brown of Nebraska some day, that'd be dope as hell.

SetPeace and charlie15 repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    GOP base activists love to hate McConnell (they view him in the same way they viewed John Boehner), but actively promoting Amy McGrath is sort of insane - and probably not really welcomed by McGrath.

It won't matter anyways - McConnell isn't losing

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a Thom Tillis ad and it was about being anti-China. I saw a Cal Cunningham ad and it was him saying he'll stand up to his party when it's best for NC.

xtomx repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alabama run off today for the GOP.

This poll is not good news for Jones, he is down to both Candidates.

https://www.aldailynews.com/new-poll-shows-tuberville-leading-sessions-in-final-days-of-race/

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also a Democrat Texas run off.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-todays-elections-in-alabama-maine-and-texas/

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listing all of today's Congressional primaries:

Senate:

Alabama R runoff (see above)

Texas D runoff (see above)

Maine R original (Susan Collins vs. write-in Amy Colter)

Maine D original (Sara Gideon favored over Bre Kidman and Betsy Sweet)
    Eight Independents are running in the general election. Maine uses ranked choice voting, where voters rank all the candidates, which can produce a different winner if nobody gets a majority. Bottom candidates are removed and their votes are given to whichever remaining candidate they preferred until somebody gets a majority. If Collins and Gideon are close, it's possible that nobody will get a majority. Candidates are removed one at a time unless it is certain that more than one needs to be removed to produce a majority. For example, if ten candidates get 47.0, 46.0, 4.2, 0.4, 0.4, 0.4, 0.4, 0.4, 0.4, and 0.4 percent, third through tenth are reallocated in one step because even if fourth through tenth all preferred first over second, it would only make 49.8 percent.

House:

Alabama runoff in 1 for both and 2 for R

Maine 2 for R: Adrienne Bennett, Eric Brakey, and Dale Crafts to challenge Democrat Jared Golden, who who defeated Republican incumbent Bruce Poliquin in 2018 two years after Trump won the district by over 10 percent. Golden doesn't have a primary challenger, and each party has one candidate in District 1, so primaries aren't needed. Democrat Chellie Pingree, who is in her sixth term, will face Republican Jay Allen in November.

Texas runoffs in 3 for D, 10 for D, 13 for R, 15 for R, 16 for R, 17 for both, 18 for R, 20 for R, 22 for R, 23 for R, 24 for D, 31 for D, and 35 for R. That's a total of 5 for D and 9 for R. There are 36 districts.

These are the last primaries of July. After today, 13 of 35 Senate seats will not have had primaries, including Louisiana and Georgia's special election that won't have anything until Election Day. 19 states will not have had House primaries, including Louisiana that won't have anything until Election Day. After today, there will be no Senate runoffs, four House runoffs in Georgia, and one House runoff in Oklahoma. No other states have runoffs scheduled for after today, and no states with primaries today or later can have runoffs except for Louisiana and Georgia's special election that will have runoffs after Election Day if they are necessary.

23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected...

She's already raised something like $10m, and now has another $5m coming her way from the money raised after the Kavanaugh confirmation.

LFG Sara!

charlie15 and xtomx repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sessions is out

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That probably does not bode well for Jones.