PBP: 2020 House and Senate Elections (Maybe even State level)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2019.

?

Will Congress stay divided after the 2020 election

Poll closed Nov 6, 2020.
  1. Yes, different parties will control each chamber.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No, Republicans will keep the Senate and retake the House of Reps.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, Democrats will keep the House of Reps and retake the Senate.

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  4. No, a great 3rd party take over of Congrees will happen.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The grift is not a flaw, it's a feature.

dapip and Matrim55 repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't gerrymander a state with fewer than 3 US House seats.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean 2 not 3...as long as there's a line to draw, you can manipulate it. Western Montana would produce competitive elections, as well as Anchorage+Fairbanks only.

You're right. Maybe we should use this opportunity to do what every other advanced democracy does, and give these states more seats.

According to this cool calculator, Alaska would have 2 House seats (one of which would be an Anchorage seat and manipulable to redistricting, as would Montana. And all we'd need to do to is amend the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929 to allow the total size of the House to grow by a formula shaped by the cubed root of the country's population.

3-400,000 Americans will be dead when Joe Biden takes office. The economy will be in free-fall. Trust in government will be at its lowest ever recorded.

It's time to think big.

xtomx, charlie15 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I meant 3. But upon further review, I was wrong.

With 2 districts, you COULD gerrymander...you could draw one district to deliver 52% of the vote for one party while the other district delivers 70% for the other party.

onefineesq and American Brummie repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that doesn't say anything about state legislative lines, which the state legislatures themselves control. Montana is likely to get a 2nd seat either this go around or the next, as well. Anywhere we can get a line drawn, we need to win seats in the state legislature.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to monopolize this discussion, but this is oddly morbidly fascinating. If we take Wikipedia's (cribbed from the Census estimates) estimated July 1 2020 entry for estimated US population by state and plug it into the Michigan apportionment calculator I linked to earlier, and keep seats at 435, the margins for states just missing out on seats are:

Florida: 23,009
    Minnesota: 6,740
    Texas: 51,007
    California: 98,714
    Rhode Island: 7,703

And for Montana to pick up a 2nd seat: a mere 2,856 citizens over surplus needed to get 2nd seat

Those are margins heavily subject to manipulation by a lot of excess mortality that demographers were not modeling leading up to 2020.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #682 EvanJ, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    According to the Census population clock, the cube-root would make 691 House members, which is an increase of of 58.9 percent. Even if it does increase, it won't increase by that much at once. Income taxes would increase to pay so many more representatives and their staffs.

Looking at the statewide percent of House seats and House votes in 2018, here is how the states with at least ten House members voted with the party that got a higher percentage of seats than votes in parenthesis and F meaning Fair):

CA: 46 D and 7 R (D)
    TX: 23 R and 13 D (R)
    FL: 14 R and 13 D (F)
    NY: 21 D and 6 R (D)
    IL: 13 D and 5 R (D)
    PA: 9 D and 9 R (R)
    OH: 12 R and 4 D (R)
    MI: 7 D and 7 R (R)
    GA: 9 R and 5 D (R)
    NC: 9 R and 3 D (R)
    NJ: 11 D and 1 R (D)
    VA: 7 D and 4 R (D)
    WA: 7 D and 3 R (D)

NC had a disputed election that was redone by a special election that made 10 R and 3 D. Those are results after the election, so they do not include CA's special election that the Republicans gained, the three current vacancies, and Jeff Van Drew and Justin Amash's party switches.

That's six in favor of each party and FL as fair, but that doesn't mean it would be fair if you added the 13 states as if they were one state. MI, PA, GA, VA, and WA were all one off from what the percent of the statewide vote would have given. The results can be misleading, and I think the Cook Partisan Voting Index (PVI) should be looked at also. For example, NJ is D+7, so it should have more D+ districts than R+ districts, but it doesn't. It has six D+ districts that are all D+9 or higher, and six R+ districts that are all R+8 or more even. In a great year for Democrats, they were able to win 11 of 12 seats, but the lines still favor Republicans.

1. Where can I find the apportionment calculator? I searched and didn't find it. I know the formula, but it's much easier to have a website do it than to do it myself in Excel.
    2. I wonder how many of the recent deaths were by people who already answered the Census and if there are attempts to remove people who die shortly after answering. Given all the things Republicans try to do to win, and Trump's desire to include a citizenship question, I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being a debate about if the Census should remove people who die. People answer and are visited by Census employees over the course of months, and I don't know if the Census is intended to be correct as of a specific date. https://www.census.gov/population/apportionment/files/Priority Values 2010.pdf says what states would have gotten 436 through 440 in 2010 if there were that many House seats:

436. NC 14th
    437. MO 9th
    438. NY 28th
    439. NJ 13th
    440. MT 2nd

I'm not saying that those states are most likely to gain seats in 2020.

dapip repped this.
  8. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/polls/gideon-continues-to-lead-collins-by-4/

I've seen a few attempts to spin this modest lead number for Gideon as being a good sign for Collins, perhaps as PPP has a dem lean, but I would say its a very promising poll for Gideon. Collins has been in the Senate since 1997 and is only polling in the low 40s (actually the exact same as Trump) and doing so against a lower name recognition opponent.

Same poll has Biden +11 statewide.

charlie15 and Matrim55 repped this.
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.psc.isr.umich.edu/dis/census/tools/apportionment/

You gotta input the pop estimates manually (copy-paste from Wiki).

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's a debate, it won't be about this party or that party. It will be state vs. state. I base this on the case in 1 census (I think it was 2000, but don't quote me) in which NC barely beat out Utah for the last extra seat. Utah sued, arguing that Mormon missionaries overseas either weren't counted or were undercounted (can't remember which.) They were right on the facts, that a proper count would have moved the last Representative to Utah. But they lost in court.

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not just the Biden campaign, across the board Democrats are racking up big money and blowing up records. Gideon in Maine blew Collins out of the waters the first two quarters. Even long shots like Mc Grath or Jamie Harrison are getting huge fundraising numbers. The energy and enthusiasm is clearly on the D side.

Some serious Q2 fundraising numbers reported by Senate Democratic candidates: Gideon in Maine reports $9 million, earlier today Cunningham in N.C. said he raised $7.4M and now Bullock reports $7.7 million in *Montana *

.“Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Cal Cunningham will report raising $7.4 million in the second quarter of 2020, a figure that appears to be a record for Senate candidates from North Carolina in any quarter,” the Raleigh News & Observer reports.
    In Q1 2020, Cunningham raised $4.4 million while Tillis raised $2.1 million.

Between April 1 and June 30, Rita Hart, Democratic candidate in IA's 2nd district, raised more than $620,000 and has $1.35 million in cash-on-hand, according to the campaign. Hart’s Q2 fundraising total is the largest haul in the history of Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District.

Freshmen Congresswoman Abby Finkenauer in IA-01 raised $875,000 for her reelection campaign. She has $2.7 million cash on hand. Her campaign reports 4,600 first time/new donors to her campaign.

The other Cunningham in that tough seat in SC is sitting on $3M (COH). That some crazy money for a congressional candidate.
    SC-1
    Q2 fundraising numbers (April 1-June 30) for Democrat @JoeCunninghamSC in the high-stakes #SC01 race, per his campaign:
    Raised: $862,633
    Cash on hand: $3,089,372
    Contributions: 13,605
    Total raised this cycle: $4,392,902

dapip and Boandlkramer repped this.
  12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm excited. Fingers crossed for Gross

charlie15 repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolute treasure trove for Gross:

He is going to be able to raise millions off of this, and given Sullivan's low name recognition, it's a rare opportunity to define an incumbent in the public eye.

charlie15 and ceezmad repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaska can't be an expensive market, maybe a long reach, but the DNC should throw some money at this race.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I consider myself a pretty high information observer and I have never heard of Dan Sullivan.

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lincoln Project had a zoom call this afternoon. Over 10,000 people joined it to capacity, an over 50,000 watched it on Youtube or the webpage.
    It was pretty interesting and informative. A couple of key takeaways :
    They will engage with direct voting program on the ground and not just ads.
    They will continue to targets individually the "enablers", particularly the senators and not just this coming election but also the next mid terms in 2022 and even in 2024.
    They also mentioned their own polling sow that there is a serious erosion of support for Trump within the Republican base to a point that even Rasmussen own poll had Trump at 75% with R voters.
    As they said. they are just starting though and will go all the way to defeat Trump, Trumpism and its enablers.
    Side note, and perhaps good news for Jamie Harrison. they mentioned they have their sights on Lindsey Graham and will go hard after him in SC.

SetPeace and Boandlkramer repped this.
  18. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Enemy of my enemy....

I donate to them and Meidas Touch as well

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't trust them.
    Enjoy their systematic destruction of Donald Trump, but don't trust them.

dapip, Matrim55 and SetPeace repped this.
  20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh, absolutely. They are neocon ghouls...come Nov 4th they’re the enemy

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As fall sports are looking increasingly unlikely, I would say that connecting Trump and Republicans Covid-19 response to the cancellation of college football might be a rare realistic path to reelection for Doug Jones.

dapip, onefineesq, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Roll Tide!

23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Isn't Sullivan an independent?

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...Gross is the independent. Sullivan is a R.

25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't feel bad Q*bert Jones III. I know a good deal less than you.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.