PBP: 2020 House and Senate Elections (Maybe even State level)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, May 16, 2019.

?

Will Congress stay divided after the 2020 election

Poll closed Nov 6, 2020.
  1. Yes, different parties will control each chamber.

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. No, Republicans will keep the Senate and retake the House of Reps.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, Democrats will keep the House of Reps and retake the Senate.

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  4. No, a great 3rd party take over of Congrees will happen.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This being the case I predict he wins 52-48

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That was a good thread. I wonder if Republicans in the senate are seeing those numbers. If so, does that increase the likelihood of impeachment? Or the likelihood of defending Trump By Any Means Necessary because a vote impeachment would immobilize the base or bring out primary challengers?

dapip repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the popularity of Trump among the Republican base, any vote that removes him from office is likely to have pretty negative consequences for Republicans currently in office, both in the form of primary challengers and, if they survive the primary, a lack of motivation of base Republicans in the general election.

dapip and song219 repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Senate_elections#Pre-election_predictions used to have predictions from three sources, Cook, IE (Inside Elections), and Sabato. They added Politico predictions from November 19. I compared them to Cook, which had the most recent predictions of the original three. In each of these, the change is from Cook (older) to Sabato (newer) Sabato did not rate Iskason's seat because the incumbent is TBD by Georgia's Governor. All percents below are out of the 34 seats including regular and Arizona's special election:

No change: 20/58.8% (Safe R: 8, Likely R: 3, Lean R: 0, Tossup: 2, Lean D: 1, Likely D: 2, Safe D: 4)
    Good for R: Safe D to Likely D: 4/11.8% (Delaware, New Hampshire, Oregon, and Virginia)
    Good for R: Tossup to Lean R: 2/5.9% (Alabama and Maine)
    Good for D: Safe R to Likely R: 4/11.8% (Alaska, Montana, South Carolina, and Tennessee)
    Good for D: Safe R to Lean R (the only change by two categories): 1/2.9% (Texas)
    Good for D: Likely R to Lean R: 2/5.9% (Georgia and Iowa)
    Good for D: Lean R to Tossup: 1/2.9% (North Carolina)

8 (57.1%) of the changes favored Democrats. When Sabato has it as Lean R, Tossup, or Lean D, 4 (66.7%) of the changes favored Democrats. I did not list categories such as Lean R to Likely R that did not happen. If Texas is competitive for president and/or Senate, it's a big deal.

My representative, Kathleen Rice, endorsed Buttigieg. Rice's previous endorsement didn't help because she endorsed O'Rourke.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted Yoho retiring. R-Fl.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R+9. A pickup in a wave year. Tough to defend anyway.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is good that he is doing it this early right? Now democrats can try to pick an opponent.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a rumor he is getting primaried anyway.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume he would still have to survive a challenge in the GOP primary, I would suspect that he did cut a deal that he would get support from the GOP establishment in any primary, but you never know, some Trumpist republican could come in and beat him out.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is interesting, because I saw that he vote against Trump 93% of the time. He's going to have to do a pretty massive about face on a lot of issues if he wants to survive a Republican primary.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, that is something, 93% votes against Trump, but was still in danger of being primaried due to his anti-impeachment vote (perhaps there is a lot more about this story than this).

I guess Democrats are as boxed into impeachment as Republicans are boxed in to vote against it.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they are.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, here's the link from 538 for Van Drew:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/jeff-van-drew/

He's in a +4.6 Trump district, but, given how such things have been trended, I suspect that district to lean Dem at this point.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Meadows is retiring.

That's a big ********ing deal.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/politics/mark-meadows-not-running-for-reelection-congress/index.html

More time with the family?

Meadows is open to a role in the Trump administration, but nothing has been finalized, the source told CNN, adding that he had been thinking about not seeking reelection for awhile.

Last year, Meadows was considered for the role of White House chief of staff, but the "President told him we need him in Congress so he can continue the great work he is doing there," then-White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

Lately, conversations about his role in Trump world have turned to something closer to the President's campaign, sources told CNN.

While the top job in the West Wing hasn't been ruled out, Meadows has expressed an interest privately in playing a role in the President's reelection effort, two people say. Ultimately the decision will be up to Trump and his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lara Trump may run for Peter King’s seat. The Club For Growth is already talking her up.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's not the first Trump I heard may run for that seat. I heard Donald Trump Jr. may run. Trump Jr. was an elector and would have had an electoral vote in an alternate world where Trump won New York. Imagine two relatives competing in a primary. One story I know about relatives in the House is the Capps family. Lois Capps didn't plan on being a politician, but she ran in 1998 after her husband Walter died in office. She won four elections in 1998 with a primary for a special election, special election, primary for a regular election, and regular election. She was from a Democrat from southern California and has retired.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil Roe (R-TN) retiring. 25 Republican MoCs not running for re-election.

Rats. Meet the ship.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so the NBA is a very woke league, the WNBA is even more awoken.

Let's see what the reaction will be to the new Senator of Georgia.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...other-candidates-are-deciding-whether-to-run/

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    WBNA players have no power, so they won't be a problem for Loeffler. As for the fans, I don't think politics have reached the stage whereby Democratic fans boycott games from teams owned by Republicans. If so, they won't be watching many games.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martha Mc Sally is in trouble..... Tough match up for her.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ain't nobody gonna beat the Democrat astronaut spouse of a martyr in a blue year.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabby Giffords ain't dead.

sitruc repped this.