2020 Election: Too much, but not enough

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Yoshou, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    All I know is that 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in soccer.

Even more dangerous than 1-0!

Pønch, Deadtigers and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think she needs to really come out and say it for it to completely land. Regardless, I can't get over legitimately having that look while being in front of what looks like a department store photography background that's probably feet away from the department store hair salon.

3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wooo.

4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To be clear, I mean the end of the personality cult. His personal power over the GOP will be heavily damaged compared to a narrow loss where he can potentially maintain power over his base and instal Jr in '24

I agree with Wilson that the most likely outcome of all this is the likes of Cruz, Haley, Hawley etc "take trumpism to the carwash" and try to run with some more respectable version of it. it will still be the same fascist trash, but dressed up in nicer words, pretend policies etc

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a chance. He will continue to be the kingmaker even out of office. Nothing can stop him from running in 24 either. I invite you to (re)read the Tim Miller piece in Esquire (or was it Rolling Stone) on this. The GOG is saddled with Trumpism and Trump for the near future. Candidates will have to kiss the ring to be able to run and win in primaries for congress or senate. Soon enough most of them will be spewing QAnon craziness.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going to win Ga. (yes...I know about unhatched chicken saying....lol).
    Some more reasons to explain my optimism:
    That poll HAS the white vote at 65% (64.8 to be precise). The white vote in Ga should be at 62% max.
    The poll has Biden at 85% of the black vote. No way. He will win 90% easily of that constituency. (Funny enough the same poll gave Osoff 87.8% of blacks)

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
    • GEORGIA: Biden 47%, Trump 46%

Matrim55 repped this.
  8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that note, Peeps, the 2020 Prediction thread AKA the unhatched chickens has been created. Feel free to post your comments and predictions. :)

Deadtigers and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's going to have 4 more years of Big Macs and 4 more years of corona-v after effects and 4 more years of a mental decline that isn't exactly linear. I doubt he will be in shape to be President in 2024, if he's still breathing.

Futbol_Head, xtomx and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I found this useless and immensely frustrating. This guy didn't know what he was talking about, Ezra called him out, and he refused to respond.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My prediction is the woke anti-anti-trumpers will all pop out of the woodwork and suddenly be very vocal in their concerns about the constitution, US foreign policy, and the Rachel Maddow show

charlie15 repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I found it interesting as a very 2017 era afterthought

Back in those days, many very serious people thought Trump would really pull off a policy triangulation like he did in the election. e.g pushing infrastructure, healthcare and jobs and eating into Dem policy and cutting across traditional GOP rhetoric.

Depending on who you believe this was supposedly the White House fight between Bannon on the one hand as a populist and Reince/Kushner on the other side who wanted to ally with a traditional GOP congressional "policy"

Still others like Mooch claim Bannon was simply a cuck and a scam artist who never had any real intention of a populist agenda.

Whatever the truth - it sure seems like that opportunity exists for someone - e.g. it is very similar to what happened in the UK where the traditional tories got purged. But of course there as well, actual populism is thin on the ground ;)

So if you want to see actual centrist populism, you probably would look more to Jacinda in NZ, or even Merkel. :p

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Despite massive funding....we are likely stuck with LadyG aren’t we?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Morning Center-right Conventional Wisdom, they were multiple hints that things are going very badly for the GOPs. They talked a lot about the polling in states like Ga, NC, Tx, FL. (Oddly, they were more bearish on FL and even Georgia than TX.) One point they kept making is that a candidate's time is a campaign's most valuable asset. And another point they've been making is that Biden/the DNC has been very cautious and careful to avoid putting time and money into "run up the score" states. (Hillary going to AZ rather than WI, MI, or PA was cited.) Anyway, Kamala and Biden are each spending time in reach states in the next few days. The Dems probably* wouldn't do that unless their internals were outstanding.

*In 2000, Bush spent one of his last days in Cali. That was part of Rove's strategy to appear invincible, to intimidate Democratic voters. Perhaps Team Biden thinks it's worth a couple of days in reach states even if they lose them, the idea being they want to demoralize Trump voters in PA, MI, and WI and seal the deal there. That's the worst case scenario; the best case is they flip a couple of Senate seats and state legislatures. I mean, let's face it, if the Dems have a voice in TX redistricting, something outside our current political reality would have to be in play for the GOPs to take the House before the next redistricting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Huff

charlie15 and Boandlkramer repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i took some time to look into the Hunter emails over the weekend

I was curious because Greenwald was fapping in his own mouth over it, claiming that the media once more had Russia disinfo derangement disorder - yet was completely incapable of outlining what the base charge against Hunter Biden was, let alone against Joe. Indeed Greenwald and co's main claim was that the emails are not denied to be genuine, not that they evidence any crime.

tldr;

1. there doesn't appear to be any evidence of a crime or unethical act Joe Biden has committed, or even Hunter. This is the same crap as the Ukraine impeachment scandal which was already debunked, and the US Senate has already investigated and found no evidence of wrong doing.

2. The source of this material is dubious to say the least. And we know Rudy has been hanging around with RIS in the Ukraine - he himself admits it. Therefore there are strong suggestions this is actually russian disinfo being spread by a source (rudy) we already know to be dodgy as feck

So it is really "poor journalism" that mainstream media are not reporting on this until they can verify an actual story?

Also - whatever we think about it - there is no crime in a company hiring big name board members who they believe can open doors for the company and make introductions. This happens every day of the week in the US. See Jim Mattis and co at Theranos.

That is quite different to the unfounded allegation that Joe Biden somehow engaged in corruption in his office.

mbar, Futbol_Head, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie15 repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is WAY more information about Aubrey Huff than I ever wanted or needed. Thanks for that.

I will stick with Aubrey Plaza and her bizarrely wide face as my Aubrey of choice.

Mike03, sitruc, Smurfquake and 1 other person repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I just drove from Jacksonville FL to the Tampa Bay area. Holy crap, if signs are any indication, that is as Trumpy an area as you will find. Good thing Florida has a lot of large urban areas.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good numbers here.....I guess that is what the Biden campaign sees as well, hence dispatching Joe to Ga.

From YouGov:
    • MICHIGAN: Biden 52%, Trump 42%
    • PENNSYLVANIA: Biden 52%, Trump 44%
    • WISCONSIN: Biden 53%, Trump 43%

The Jitty Slitter and dapip repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What people are not factoring in is when he loses, he loses the office of the presidency as his megaphone. He will also lose all the money of the Trump campaign, and a significant amount of his media coverage including with Fox.

So his hold over GOP voters and politicians will be greatly reduced, especially if he gets pounded. Of course he will retain influence with a significant % of the wingnut base.

Deadtigers, Minnman and dapip repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    They're betting that COVID doesn't spread as quickly in low oxygen atmospheres.

dapip repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Rick Wilson had a relevant point here

The GOP, in contrast to the DNC, is essentially driven bottom up, at local party level. So the increasing prevalence of wingnuts is because that is what is happening at grass roots.

That is basically why Rubio, Haley, Cruz etc have pivoted to 'carwash trumpism' - its increasingly where the base is at - except it maybe isn't going to be Trumpism - its going all the way to Q which is in effect reheated Goebbels / fascism

This is why you also see the extremist theocracy stuff from Pompeo - that's where they think the power base lies for whatever comes next

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You're saying this guy isn't American?
    upload_2020-10-26_11-15-49.jpeg

chaski, Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More Texas poll..........Check Hegar's numbers.... WOW...

Denton and Williamson (iirc) voted Beto in 18.

Tx 3 is Collin County. I wrote about it last week. The bellwether county in Tx

Mike03 and dapip repped this.