2020 Election: Too much, but not enough

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Yoshou, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There’s some merit in opposing accepting moderate Republicans into the party....the Overton window has “liberals” squarely in the middle relative to other “real” left parties in Europe. How far right do we have to compromise ?????

The Jitty Slitter and charlie15 repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And some states have not yet opened early voting:

I will cast my vote tomorrow, in person, at an early vote location.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thats the problem.The genie is out of the bottle.Once the 30% lose in an election,what is their recourse?Will they go back and hide,or will they fight?This is not an academic question.

xtomx, crazypete13 and charlie15 repped this.
  4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17 M? At the last count, we are at 28 M now.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his support, while vocal, is shrinking. Once he loses and possibly loses the senate as well, the GOP will start nominating non-Trumpers.

Opinion, of course, and a little hopeful.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The weather has traditionally made it more difficult for the left which raises an interesting question... WHY are presidential elections in November?

I don't mean historically. There's probably some reason for it but it must have occurred to people that it actively reduces the chances of poor people to vote if they have to work and THEN go and vote.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going Tuesday.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's constitutional. The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. It had to do with the agrarian society we had back then, that time being after the farm season had ended.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Biden is planning to sue those scumbags....That is beyond despicable.

sitruc repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trumpeters and the enablers will still be around though. Anyway, the time of reckoning is coming soon for them.

Deadtigers and stanger repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a famous quote and it involves rats and ships but I can't recall the exact words....

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) told the Fort Worth Star Telegram that at times he has disagreed with President Trump on issues such as budget deficits and debt, tariffs and trade agreements and border security.

But he said he chose to work on those disagreements with the president’s staff in private discussions, rather than by publicly voicing his opposition.
    Cornyn described his relationship with Trump as “maybe like a lot of women who get married and think they’re going to change their spouse, and that doesn’t usually work out very well.”

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Honestly I don't think the likes of Miller see themselves as joining the Dems

they see themselves more as classic free market liberals who are orphaned in the centre and I think that is their best space

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As long as they see that people will vote for him, it won't matter how toxic he is. Only a few Republicans maintained some decency and didn't fall in line with Trump.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Schmidt is correct - Trump is unravelling - on a farewell tour, dancing bizarrely while wasted on whatever shit he is on. Barr hasn't delivered. The coup is over. No one is in charge.

rslfanboy and dapip repped this.
  15. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Tim Miller's recent Rolling Stone column:

One GOP consultant told me that in a GOP primary poll the “number one issue for 80-plus percent of GOP primary voters was loyalty to Trump.” When I ran that number by several other Republican pollsters, there was universal concurrence that sticking with Trump was the top concern among GOP regulars. But they also noted that among the other top priorities were immigration restrictions, opposition to Black Lives Matter, and cracking down on “rioters.”

What’s clear is that the classically liberal, democratic values and American exceptionalist tropes that defined the GOP in the past are no longer a driver for voters who either fundamentally don’t care or are actively hostile to them.

----------------

If Trump loses, "disloyal" Republicans are gonna get a stompin'. So I just don't see a path for the GOP, in the next four years, to become anything but what they already are. Some "elites" will try, but they will get annihilated in the primaries.

Two decades from now we'll still be talking about Trumpism at the core of the GOP electorate. We'll be lucky, as a country, if we're not still talking about it four or five decades from now.

Mike03, Deadtigers, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is reminding me a bit of the fall of East Germany. There were months and months of protests and short of a brutal putdown of the protests (even more than was already attempted), the East German leadership didn't know what to do. In the end, the Party's leaders pushed the head out (Honecker) and there was a long and bumpy transition. We only have 4 years to fall back on, so we have institutional memory, but total ineptness of Individual One and how to handle is political crisis reminds me of that.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what happens when a non-politician is elected to office. When things go bad, they don't know what to do.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I turned to DC United's game early the other night. ******** United. Their games are on WJLA 24/7 News nee Channel 8. WJLA was bought by Sinclair in 2013 and has destroyed the local news for WJLA and NewsChannel 8. Steve ********ing Bannon was speaking for a good amount of time in the 30 minutes before the game on some "news" program almost like he was a remote anchor.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    160 years later we are still arguing over the causes for the “War of Northern aggression”. The deplorables have always been there, but they stay quiet (kind off) for long periods, until something or someone empowers them.

The good news is that the demographics would change so dramatically, that it will be impossible to win almost any kind of election on racism and xenophobia alone, except for the reddest of reddish states, so that ought to silence the ‘Muricans until the secede or something radically changes the electorate again.

Deadtigers, Matrim55 and xtomx repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As much as I relish the chance to work against and to vote against Ron Johnson in the next Wisconsin Senate election, I really hope that he is indicted, resigns and is long the f' gone before he stands for "reelection."

He is absolutely disgusting and one of the worst three or four Republican Senators (and that is saying something).

Boandlkramer, charlie15, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bannon 2020- to replace Ben Olsen
    Slogan: "DC United needs a head coach...from prison"

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Twitter it is a seat in Indiana currently held by the GOP.

mbar and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Tell me more! :D