2020 Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by EvanJ, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'd really love to know what this is based on.. cuz I have some bad news for you...

Clint Eastwood repped this.
  2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think AT WORST, Honduras is on par with CR.. Honduras tied CR twice in Alajuelense a week and a half prior to the tournament.. second time being up until the last 10 minutes.

Defensively this team is more solid centrally than it ever really has in any cycle. Up top the individuality is about on par or one notch below the Elis team that bounced the US. Midfield wise, there's a "6" that's regarded as a promising talent with a cannon but the drop off is a little steep from there in his center role.

Cohesively as a unit, they'll have to find their footing together as the tournament goes like the rest of the teams, but a strong performance tonight should quell some early nerves. Anything but would ALMOST be disastrous depending on the context of the result.

#2 seed in this tournament for a reason. I like our chances to make it 4 in a row.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras 3-0 Haiti
    Canada 2-0 El Salvador

Dominican Republic 0-4 USA
    Costa Rica 0-3 Mexico (Mexico is at home but Wikipedia put them on the right)

Mexico and USA advanced to the Semifinals. Mexico is +6 and USA is +5, so Mexico wins the group if they beat or draw with USA on Wednesday. Tonight has Haiti vs. Canada at 6:00 P.M. USA Eastern and El Salvador vs. Honduras at 8:30 P.M. We may not know either Semifinal matchup until after the last Group Stage game, which is Honduras vs. Canada on Thursday at 10:00 P.M. The Semifinals are Sunday at 6:00 P.M. and 9:00 P.M., with Group B winner vs. Group A second as the first game. Therefore if USA doesn't beat Mexico, USA will play the first Semifinal.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haiti 0-0 Canada
    El Salvador 1-1 Honduras

Costa Rica 5-0 Dominican Republic
    Mexico 1-0 USA

Final Group A Standings:

Mexico: 9 points, +7, 8 goals scored, 1 goal allowed
    USA: 6 points, +4, 5 goals scored, 1 goal allowed
    Costa Rica: 3 points, +1, 5 goals scored, 4 goals allowed
    Dominican Republic: 0 points, -12, 1 goal scored, 13 goals allowed

Mexico and USA will learn their Semifinal opponents when Group B finishes tonight. El Salvador vs. Haiti will be at 7:30 P.M. USA Eastern, and Honduras vs. Canada will be at 10:00 P.M. I will have to stay up late if I want to find out who USA will play before I wake up tomorrow. The Semifinals determine who qualifies for the Olympics, and they will be on Sunday, with USA facing the Group B winner at 6:00 P.M., and Mexico facing Group B second at 9:00 P.M. Dominican Republic allowed over twice as many goals as the other teams combined.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

edcalvi repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did the USA do?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras scored right before and right after halftime. They started the second half by scoring when USA's goalkeeper received a backpass and kicked it off an approaching Honduran. USA scored and lost 2-1. Mexico beat Canada 2-0 to make the same Concacaf teams as last time.

9. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I think he was being sarcastic. They did about as well as they would've done if they were in Conmebol qualifying. At least it cleared up their summer schedule to concentrate on the Gold Cup, which is more their speed.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I thought Canada played better than the US at this tournament. O well, the better teams advanced to Tokyo like Rio and London.

edcalvi repped this.
  11. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Should have uploaded this at the beginning of the thread. But it's still valuable information.

These are all the qualifications of Concacaf countries at the Football Olympics.

FB_IMG_1619764141220_(1).jpg

EvanJ repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised USA has qualified more than Mexico. USA didn't qualify for a World Cup in between 1950 and 1990, but they did qualify for five Olympics in between.

edcalvi repped this.