2020 CONCACAF League and 2021 Champions League

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one needs to know when you put someone on your ignore list....

Bluesfan and crookeddy repped this.
  2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

On a roster of 30 players that equals to an average of more than 2 million dls per player. No way are players from 20-30 getting paid more than 2 million dls each. The highest paid player in Liga MX is Gignac around 4 million a year or at least was. The average salary in Liga MX per team was around 402k back in 2018.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit it sounds excessive. The top salaries I found digging around for Monterrey are:

Rogelio Funes Mori - $3.8 Million
    Vincent Janssen - $2.8 Million
    Miguel Layún - $2.7 Million
    Dorlan Pabón - $1.5 Million
    Hugo González - $1.23 Million
    Luis Montes - $1.16 Million
    Carlos Rodríguez - $1.16 Million
    Jesús Gallardo - $1.1 Million
    Avilés Hurtado - $1 Million
    Maximiliano Meza - $1 Million
    Stefan Medina - $868 Thousand

That's very different to what I've been implying.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many players are being counted on the payroll. Reserve teams could add up, especially considering the ridiculous numbers of players Liga MX clubs seem to have under contract.

5. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think reserve teams are counted with the main team but if so then it also has to count for MLS teams since they too have U17, U19 and several have USL teams.

But point was that MLS top spenders and Liga MX top spenders spend around the same amount on players only difference being that Liga MX has more flexibility and no such rules as DPs, TAM, GAM etc. Transfer fees aren't counted against them like it does in MLS. Liga MX teams can build better teams and with depth compared to the strict restrictions MLS teams have.

On a side note, I'll take a wild guess and say that a team like Queretaro and Houston Dynamo have very similar roster salaries.

6. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    All this hand wrangling over quality of play and salaries in MLS, and yet, I can’t get past the thought in the back of my mind that MLS teams have no real reason to win CCL.

What is the benefit of winning? What does on MLS team get for winning? What does the league get?

How many MLS fans even know CCL exists? How many fans care? How many could name a Liga MX team let alone a Honduran team?

I think the reason that there is an MLS team in the semi finals is because two MLS teams played each other in the quarter finals and one team couldn’t get out of it.

Needless to say, I expect an all Liga MX final.

Doogh, TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Because winning is the goal when a pro sports team enters a tournament. There's also money to be made. Ultimately, however, we could ask the same sort of "why" questions about pro sports in general.

This seems to depend on the MLS market. For TFC and TFC fans like me, it's a big deal. I suspect a good chunk of the fan base would take a CCL win over winning the MLS Cup if they had to pick. In other markets, it seems to count for less.

Nico Limmat, STR1, crookeddy and 3 others repped this.
  8. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The 2020 numbers were:

Champions: $500,000
    Runner up: $300,000
    Semi finalist: $200,000

https://www.sportekz.com/football/concacaf-champions-league-prize-money/amp/

That hardly covers travel expenses. For all practical purposes, it’s a money loser.

By comparison, a team losing a first qualifying round UCL game (well before any EPL team shows up) gets €280,000.

https://www.sportekz.com/football/u...€30.5 million) that include market pool money.

Based on money, why should a professional team would care about that tournament?

TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning CCL gets MLS a spot in the most important, glorious & relevant club team tournament on the planet, FIFA's Club World Cup! :rolleyes:

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl some make it out to be. Ha!

In Houston Texas there is so much diversity and so many that follow the beautiful game that any time teams face each other in CCL play it allows for the banter on the job site or around the watering hole on who is going to win. This is legit care for association football partner. Certainly there is a premium on winning for the Liga MX clubs as they don't like each other. So if an MLS team can get their name up on the board with those Liga MX teams, the MLS team is now in the discussion. More so if it is the local team Houston Dynamo. When our team defeated Pachuca that had Chaco Jimenez, Calero in goal and others that had become the first North American club to win a South American regional tournament when Pachuca won the Copa Sudamericana and were defending Liga MX champions, so when Houston defeated this quality of a Liga MX team in the first leg the return leg had teeth. It was an actual time when an Liga MX team was hearing it from the media in Mexico and abroad about being THAT team that loses to some second year MLS team. Then the game unfolded and it is up there as one of the best in CONCACAF regional play. Even in the loss, the Houston brand and image in our diverse and soccer loving community saw a legitimate move of the needle in respect and support. This is why an MLS team should care. Winning when a team shouldn't and people take notice. Us in Houston have lived this so our club cares about taking on regional competition.
    While I hear your gripe about the average MLS fan not being intimate with the importance of regional Cup play and the honor that is applied to regional play as known the world over, this tournament and the following it has in Canada and the United States gets bigger ever year.

Nico Limmat and RafaLarios repped this.
  11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Basically, club soccer’s version of no good deed goes unpunished[emoji37]

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell Boca Juniors hinchas that defeating a Real Madrid in actual Cup competition is not fun!

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1138 Paul Calixte, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Or tell Tigres that getting to play a final against BAYERN MUNICH is not fun! And surely didn't hurt at all when they approached Thauvin... yes, they're just about done buying a player younger than 30 from the defending World Cup champions :eek:

Concacaf gives travel grants for games separately (IIRC it's US$50k for every away game).

But it's absolutely fair to criticize them for the small prize pot, even if teams aren't playing that many games... and I have to think that the new format in 2023's gonna come with a significant increase in prize money, or teams are gonna drop out left and right.

Prestige.

I'd be lying if I claimed it was more than 50%... but it's way more than before, thanks to the runs to the CCL Final and more teams having been involved. And then in 2023, nearly a third of the league will be involved in the fall (and another third in Leagues Cup), so international competition will be unavoidable.

Your average Latino MLS fan? I'd venture to say all of them :ROFLMAO:

But that is an issue particularly with the US market: we're insular by nature, and know very little about the region in general. The example I give is that pretty much any fan in Europe knows who Ajax and Porto are; but your average fan in the US couldn't tell you in which countries Saprissa or Olimpia are from, much less get hyped for games against them.

Ditto Montreal. Canadian football fans aren't so insular, so they've been easily the most hyped for CCL play (LAFC wasn't far behind, though... that León game was spectacular).

Nico Limmat and Roger Allaway repped this.
  14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It isn't the prize money that matters. TFC (who I happen to follow) average well over 20 000 for CCL home games. That's something well north of $1 million per game in ticket revenue alone. It is certainly worth their time to care.

Nico Limmat and STR1 repped this.
  15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't root for leagues; for instance I'd never root for LAFC or Seattle for example; but this is funny.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think back to 1955/56 and the first European Cup. English teams didn't take part and several champions of mid-size European leagues declined.

Where are we now?

$billions in revenue, €19,000,000 in prize money to the winners alone and a 380 million worldwide TV audience.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chuck Blazer, who was the guy who brought CONCACAF competition into the modern media era - and also reformatted the FIFA Club World Cup from a one game Europe/South America format into its present form - fully expected it to take at least 20 years before any of these tournaments would mean much to anyone aside from, ironically, the players.

Nobody has ever understood the dynamics of this stuff better than he did. His vision was that you had to start this stuff in order for it to develop down the road.

Now yes, I have to add the obligatory comment about Chuck taking a 10% commission for doing so but the fact remains that he was probably right; it will take years and years but eventually these competitions will become not omly relevant but wildly profitable.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but I've watched a CCL game and they're not at the same level! ;)

jaykoz3 and Bill Archer repped this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You can already see the increase in CCL attendance, and interest from the players and coaches.

Nico Limmat and Paul Calixte repped this.
  20. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miguel Herrera got fired for losing in spectacular fashion to LAFC last year...

Paul Calixte and harrylee773 repped this.
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think he got fired for just 1 meltdown too many more than the loss.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. I dislike the hand-waving that the CWC gets. The competition is important in South America, Asia and Africa. It is also important enough in Mexico, with many regios looking forward to their match against Liverpool. Or will you tell me that Los Angeles fans wouldn't be hyped if they were in that position?

There's exactly one confederation that dismisses the CWC, and their legion of bandwagoners.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  23. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    #1148 dna77054, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Some of these match-ups have been in the fall. When that happened, we blamed "fixture congestion".

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's not an issue anymore.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Now that there’s 30 teams in MLS it means a lot less to me.

Thx,

Jay!