PBP: 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Feb 15, 2020.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    81'. I think every Atlanta shot has been from 12+ yds out and clean for the keeper to see coming.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    84' sees a nice feed to Jahn in the box only to have him muscled (fouled?) off the ball. Would Josef had been fast enough to reach it?

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pity off the crossbar!

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 3-0

Atlanta played well considering. If that first wonder goal doesn't fall, or if one of Atlanta's close chances does fall, then who knows. Players will be frustrated but they'll hopefully also take some positives from this.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Rossetto get hurt?

Like I’ve said, I couldn’t care less about the CCL. The games are barely televised. Or televised at the worst times on a work night. If they care so little about that tournament, it’s not going to make me care about the tournament. I just want our players healthy for the games that count.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asleep by kickoff, so I have no input on the game. But now that we're down 3-0 against a team there's almost no way we can score 3 against, and we're playing in Kennesaw in front of almost nobody, and the game's not on reasonable TV... I think you throw the subs out there for the second leg and get them blooded.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Rossetto was subbed on for Remdi at halftime. After 10 minutes he had to come off with an ankle injury. We just can't catch a break.

A game to forget. In fact I erased the recording as soon as the final whistle blew.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The way this Corona virus is going they might actually be playing in Kennesaw in front of nobody.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the seriousness of it? Anyone know?

And, we can expect to get Escobar and Robinson back?

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't think anyone knows at this point. He went down, got up and tried to walk it off. I can't even recall if the trainers came out initially. Play resumed and 30 seconds later he signaled for a sub and sat down and the trainers came out. He left on a stretcher covering his face. Hopefully we will get a medical report at the end of the day.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Regarding Rossetto, I just saw on Twitter via Doug Roberson that FdB said 'it was a knock and twisted ankle'. Remains to be seen how long he will be out, but given how things have been going lately it could have been a lot worse.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Wahl says suspended. Nothing on the MLS site so far.
    If it's true, it gives us time to heal a bit.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...er-suspends-season-30-days-impact-coronavirus

30 days. I'll take it.

Major League Soccer has suspended match play for 30 days, effective immediately, as the league continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 with its medical task force and public health officials.

At the appropriate time, the league and clubs will communicate plans for the continuation of the 2020 season and update the status of league events.

“Our clubs were united today in the decision to temporarily suspend our season – based on the advice and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), and other public health authorities, and in the best interest of our fans, players, officials and employees,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “We’d like to thank our fans for their continued support during this challenging time.”

Reads like they're gonna look at it after a month and make a decision about when to go forward, or if. Could go longer.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    30 days could see everyone but Josef ready to go.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fortunately for Rosetto it wasn't a break!

Yes, methinks the suspension of play will help the Stripes. Provided, of course, no one gets sick!

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    CONCACAF just suspended CCL also. To bad they didn't make that call before last night's kickoff.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF also suspended the CCL.

18. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Member

Atlanta United
    Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Goias Goiania
    So I guess we'll just have to call our series with Club America a draw.

SabreKhan, yossarian and VFish repped this.
  19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I like your thinking... we can also claim we ended the 2020 season unbeaten and undrawn. Take the FdB haters, I don't recall Tata going a season with a perfect record. ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk repped this.
  20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much needed!!!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-3-13_11-1-52.jpeg

VFish, Eleven Bravo, SabreKhan and 3 others repped this.
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    AJC article implies teams can begin practicing together tomorrow or next Monday, IIRC. First order of business will be assessment of everyone's health so I expect by midweek we'll have updates not only about any virus victims but also about our respective injuries.

Scuttlebutt has MLS holding off on any changes to season structure until April 1, but they're exploring contingency scenarios now that will be shared with owners and broadcast partners in advance. If I had to put money down it would be first games played behind closed doors and then a point where venues will open again in accordance with any national policies.

CONCACAF, meanwhile, has arguably more important matters than the CCL to consider given the international matches that need coordinating with special calendars and possible Olympic ramifications. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the CCL is scrapped seeing as it's not a big money maker anyway and each league might want to reserve dates for their own makeup schedules.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm halfway expecting them to come back in a couple of weeks with an extension of the postponement, but I can see this happening.

At this point, there's probably no way we're gonna come back from a 3-0 deficit v. CA even with a full complement of players anyhow. Might as well scrap it and reset for next season. Either way, the longer this goes, the healthier we get (unless our players contract the virus, or our Schleprock-esque luck with injuries extends to the training pitch).

VFish repped this.
  24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point of playing without fans? I mean, if you're mid-tournament like Champions' League or Europa League, it's one thing. But only if there's an expectation that the fans will return at some point.

For the regular season? I don't see any reason to play in front of empty stadiums. If you have to cancel a couple games because the calendar won't fit them all, so be it. Everybody takes a financial hit, a couple of teams miss easy games or hard games or whatever. But especially in this league where TV viewership is negligible, just cancel them instead of playing empty.

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Are you ok, dude

The games are televised on one of the more popular sports cable channels, they get good coverage.

The games are in prime time, which is prime for people who work days, which is most people. Do you want them at noon just for you

These games count more than league games. You play the league to get into this tourney. The int'l game that didn't count was last year's friendly vs America.

Very strange and misinformed post, dude. Was it satire