2020 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Mar 3, 2020.

1. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It’s why I stopped following CU. Such long ball ridiculousness. I’m not anti buffs but it’s just not fun to watch.

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 derbarkasmann, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    At UW ... the video feed is running 2-3 minutes behind the game, but it's free, I don't have the Pac-12 network but I'm watching. Looks like a nice day but they could wipe the raindrops off the camera lens. Hannah Sharts picked up a yellow that seemed a bit picky.

UW has the run of play, shots are 6-0 32 minutes in.

0-0 halftime, shots 8-1, our one beat the GK and rolled about an inch wide I think, the picture froze, the wireless where I live is free and I get what I pay for. If we can keep them out of the net, maybe we can steal one like we did there last season.

Where is Hannah Cardenas?

I just realized that we have a very young team.

4. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #104 derbarkasmann, Feb 26, 2021
    I have a medical appointment so I will miss the last quarter.

Good news is that we are keeping the ball on the ground a lot more than in the previous games this season. The bad news is that not much happens, 60 minutes in shots are 14-1, on goal 6-0.

I have to go, 15 minutes left, shots 17-4, on goal 8-0, corners 6-0, but not as many long passes.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Where is Hannah Cardenas?

Injured

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 derbarkasmann, Feb 26, 2021
    Buffs 0, Huskies 0

Under the circumstances, we'll take it. Dani Hansen put on a show against her former team. Shots wound up 24-8, on goal 11-1, corner kicks 8-0. Jesse Loren got our shot on goal in the second overtime. I watched maybe 55 minutes of it and it did seem like there were fewer long passes across the middle of the field, but we certainly had a hard time putting an attack together.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the replay. I was in the bathroom for a couple of minutes in the second half, uneventful except Dani blocked a penalty kick.

8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington scored in the 18th minute off a long throw-in. Shots 7-1, on goal 4-0.

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOAL BUFFALOES !! Shyra James in the 44th minute, header off a very long free kick from Lawson Willis. Halftime, shots 13-3, on goal 6-1, corner kicks 5-0 all Huskies. UW has had two very near misses, and Dani has made some tough saves.

I commend Lawson's parents on the excellent choice of her name. My last name is Lawson.

10. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    can anyone tell me how playing washington twice fits into the standings? are they only counting one of these games?

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 derbarkasmann, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Yes. Today's game was non-conference.

Huskies 2, Buffs 1

Dani put on a goalkeeping exhibition, both games against her former team. The run of play was all UW, both games. Today, shots 24-5, on goal 11-1, corner kicks 6-2. Keeping the ball on the ground didn't help. With a couple of exceptions, the only time we got the ball near Washington's goal was by a free kick or a Hannah Sharts long throw-in.

Katalyst repped this.
  12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 derbarkasmann, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    This could become routine.

https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/1/s...dIHcnABnRNRUkLx3KQ4RxBbGNzBo43ziYOhUnCdo2TsTE

It was a rough weekend in the northwest.

Oregon 2, Stanford 1.

Oregon State 2, Stanford 1 (non-conference)

Washington State 0, Utah 0

Washington State 2, Utah 0 (non-conference)

But #14 California might be for real, swept the Oregons.

And speaking of the gang that couldn't shoot straight ... USC shots 15, on goal 2. Arizona State shots 6, on goal 1. The one went in, 1-0 ASU..

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bit of a head scratcher seeing she gave up 2 in a loss and Anderson at cal led them to 2 victories over teams that dispatched Stanford

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hansen made 20 saves in the two games, Anderson made 6.

15. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair enough. Just saying history has it that if you take an L that usually eliminates that player from consideration. Congrats to her

16. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUFFS 2, AT #10 CALIFORNIA 1

Sweet. Huge road win. It apparently wasn't televised or streamed. Was anybody there and can tells us about it?

Shots were 18-11, on goal 4-3, corner kicks 8-2, all Cal. Goals by Hannah Sharts and Shanade Hopcroft, with Jade Babcock-Chi assisting Hannah's goal..

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Buffs seem to be coming on strong in this current environment - with Stanford not doing too well and USC inconsistent, does this open up some space for the Buffs?

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll know more after this weekend. The good news is that we're 1-1-1 in conference after a tough road trip. the loss to Washington was non-conference.

My opinions are those of a non-observer, I don't see them since I left Boulder. And I didn't watch the Stanford game because I live four blocks from the field at Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction and Mesa was hosting Fort Lewis. 1-1, shots 21-6 Mesa, two of the 21 hit the crossbar. I have been impressed with Division II sports, more than I expected, and CMU does pretty well. Baseball is #2 nationally, basketball #4, women's wrestling just came in fourth at the Nationals, cycling is usually the national champion, cheerleading has 23 national championships (there are several events, each has a champion), beach volleyball just beat Pac-12 Utah 3-2 and 5-0, volleyball is #3. But I digress.

It took an own goal in overtime to beat Denver 1-0, didn't score until the fourth quarter against Northern Colorado, beat Weber State 1-0, got very thoroughly outplayed by Washington twice, not as thoroughly outplayed by Cal and Stanford. A lot of our goals have come from a defender, Hannah Sharts. But oh my, do we have a goalkeeper. Dani Hansen has been awesome.

There IS talent on this team and it is very young. They could be a stronger challenge to the established order later in the season. We'll know more after this weekend.

Long answer to a short question. .

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It's good bet that at least one of the matches CU is scheduled to play at home this weekend will be postponed or cancelled - unless they can be played in the indoor practice facility. Two inches of snow forecast for Friday, 19 for Saturday and 10 for Sunday!

22. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is the UCLA-Buffs game on today? Someone mentioned it might get cancelled due to the weather

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game started at noon, not going well. Halftime 1-0 Bruins, the goal came early, shots are 8-1. What's unusual, shots on goal are 1-0.

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA 1, Buffs 0

The goal came six minutes in. Shots in the second half were 9-8 Buffs. I didn't watch, so if someone did, please let us know what it looked like to you.

25. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Buff's had a few very good chances to tie it up in the second half. It was a good game. Nice goal by UCLA at the start. CU came on the attack much better in the second half. Field looked dry, but it was cold out there.