2020 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Mar 3, 2020.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Also, the incoming class is no rated #8 nationally by Top Drawer. This I assume is the highest rated class in school history.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  4. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    No Spring games for CU. My dd will have all online classes starting Monday. No more practices for now too.

5. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Any updates on the impact to the CU program of ORLANDOGATE ?

6. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Using it as a learning experience.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    #7 unkiemark, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like no non-conference schedule at all, so says the Pac-12. OK, I see the need to reduce expenses, but I still don't like it. Most Pac-12 soccer (and volleyball) teams can play a few non-conference games with very little travel involved for anybody. Even allowing ONE in-state game ... CU football and volleyball could play CSU, and soccer could play Denver. Cal and Stanford soccer could both play Santa Clara. USC and UCLA could play Pepperdine (or several other nearby D-1 programs). Utah-BYU.

Division-II, for all teams and all sports, has reduced the number of overall games but not hugely. The Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference has 15 teams, 10 of them in Colorado, so they don't tend to have many non-conference games anyway and conference play starts pretty early. But each conference can decide what to do with their reduced number of games.

I would feel much better about it if football teams were allowed one nearby non-conference game, and soccer and volleyball were allowed two. Just my opinion.

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I've mentally regurgitated on this a bit, it also allows more time to decide what a Fall season will look like. Or if there is going to be one.

10. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So i just got my call for season tickets this year???? Does anyone know what is happening with the season in general?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #11 Cliveworshipper, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    well, even I know the Pac-12 is only in conference if everything goes perfectly and Colorado has no schedule posted ( either does the PAC-12)

whay are they selling?

the PAC-12 says they will have schedules out “ no later than July 31” .

I’d wait.

Katalyst repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  13. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    This may be a stupid question, but what exactly are they practicing for?

14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    You cannot be serious? One there is a hope of a spring season. Baseball, softball and other spring sports train in the fall for their spring seasons. And, two, they will have games next year at a minimum. These are elite athletes. You think they are going to sit on their butts for a year? Or even months?

15. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #15 Gryphons Dad, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I was semi-serious. So preseason goes from now until March??? Come on.

Of course no one expects athletes to sit on their butts, but it seems like some of these programs are very optimistic about not having an outbreak.

16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Of course they train all fall. It is not preseason all fall, it is called practice. What do you think typical spring sports do in the fall? They f*cking train all fall. Athletes train year round. As for outbreaks, youth sports are training pretty much everywhere. Why can't college athletes. We are not in quarantine.

It is an outdoor sport that has zero known incidences of transmission of the virus.

17. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Why you swearing? I'm speaking of organized team workouts, not training. I have a daughter who plays softball. I can say with certainty they don't do organized team training all Fall. Nor does baseball.

cpthomas repped this.
  18. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I swore because I was shocked that you asked this question. Yes baseball and softball do organized training in the fall.

The off-season begins at the end of the NCAA baseball championship game. During the summer, student athletes may not participate in school-sponsored or coach-organized baseball practices. The first pre-season practice may take place on the fourth day of classes or on a specified date in September, depending on which comes first. During this part of the off-season, teams must take at least one day off from practicing per week. Practices include weight training, conditioning and practicing skills and team plays.

See also this: “We plan on playing baseball in the spring,” Mainieri said, “and that begins with having fall practice.”

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #20 Eddie K, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    I think I mentioned some of this on the Corona thread.
    The promotional pics and videos are cute but many of these schools are definitely in limbo. Preseason training is a little curious actually since there is no Fall regular-season scheduled for more than half the nations colleges. Even though there is a 'count back' rule to start training from that first regular season game. It's very likely they could suddenly be put back into 'summer mode' any day but when classes start, teams should be allowed to be training in '8-hour weeks' of which only 4 hours can be training with a ball.
    Some may be permitted to declare a 'non-traditional' fall season which allows for more training but don't know if competitions will be allowed at all. Some conferences have said things like "all fall competition is suspended" but others have said there will just not be a conference schedule.

So, many teams are training for trainings sake and so should all teams until they are told otherwise I guess which could happen at any day. It's very possible Pac12 teams won't play another college team until 2021 and also possible the school could send all their students home at any point in the semester if there's an outbreak.

So, if the kids are in town and the boss approves it, play and train while you can. Just make sure your kids are not out at bars and greek life parties for God's sake!

cpthomas, Gryphons Dad and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    One point to keep in mind when debating the wisdom of the current practice sessions is that CU didn't get many (any?) spring practice sessions this year. They weren't able to play any spring games either.

Also, over the summer CU athletics has created somewhat of a bubble for athletes. It will be interesting to see what happens when classes start.

Assuming there is a spring season, this current period of practice sessions is like spring practice in a normal year.

24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    There are many teams training right now. CU does not need to apologize. It is normal for any spring sport to be training in the fall. It is also mentally and physically healthy for them to be out there (assuming they are all taking precautions for the virus off the field).

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder