2020 Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by stphnsn, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    #151 CoachP365, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    stphnsn and elessar78 repped this.
  2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As we begin to the wind down of 2020, what are some takeaways you have from this year? Both good and bad. How did you become a better or worse coach? What is something you added and took from your repertoire?

For me, added 3four3 coaching to my repertoire. I'm a huge advocate now. Kicking myself it took so long to really get into it. This probably has been the biggest boost in effectiveness since I learned about Coerver method and/or running across Doug Lemov's stuff. Yeah, past decade: Coerver method, Doug Lemov, Changing the Game Project, and 3four3—biggest factors in how I'm coaching.

takeaway: Girls learned a lot faster than expected. We started the season "utterly confused" and ended with aiming for "high quality more often".

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Not much soccer for me this year so my big takeaway for 2020 is this: If you're going to start golfing, get a lesson early so you don't have to unlearn bad habits later. Proper grip and setup will save lots of headaches as you progress.

On a more soccer-positive note, I have enough players for a 19U team for the spring. Team-building over the winter in the age of Covid will be interesting.

elessar78 repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know what to say. I hear my eldest in the other room set-up stations for "physical activity" for her and her siblings. In 10 years of coaching, I have never used stations. So not sure what's going on there. Then she just came and borrowed a tennis ball and a small dumbell. Haha. I hear a lot of activity and jumping around. They are not fighting or watching screens... imma roll with it.

jmnva repped this.
  5. Peter Olaffson

Peter Olaffson New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Dec 14, 2020
    #155 Peter Olaffson, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Dear coaches/colleges,
    I have read this thread and agree that 2020 was a tough one for all sports-related activities due to lockdowns. That being said we have launched a new project @ Sportlane. It is an online booking service for sports camps and academies aimed at pro and amateur athletes. I would kindly invite you to check it out if you a) decide to organize your soccer camp OR b) you have a soccer player in mind who will benefit from attending high-performance soccer academies (you will be acting as an affiliate and can expect a good $ award if the player is registered). We have a great team of sports managers, sports lawyers, and community builders. We will be happy to partner with any of you. Hope the next year, will be better for all of the community. Cheers.

6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Having taken some time off from coaching this winter for the first time in about a decade—I’m realizing I’ve neglected a lot of basic home maintenance and clutter management.

maybe my health too—too many meals on the go.

Malabranca and NewDadaCoach repped this.