PBP: 2020 Challenge Cup week 3 (July 12-13)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jul 10, 2020.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #176 FanOfFutbol, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Sky blue is OK with the current result as it drops them to 7th and they are in the other bracket from NC. What they don't want, according to the "avoid NC" theory, is to lose by 1.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sky blue is slowing down some. They seem resigned to the loss. But you never know. These are professional players and pride may well drive them when there is no other incentive.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Another water break. Maybe that will re-energize the match.

4. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like game over for Sky Blue...

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It has not. At the 82nd minute the game is now as slow as any have been.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    79' 0-2 Sky Blue subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (3 of 5) #8 Erica Skroski for #24 Estelle Johnson.

81' 0-2 North Carolina subs in { 3rd of 3 }:
    - (5 of 5) #20 Lindsay Agnew for #15 Jaelene Daniels.

7. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have 5 minutes...Well, game over long time ago...

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Only 3 minutes of stoppage added in the second half. Water break and a bunch of subs. My only thought is that this referee can't count.

Game over. 2-0 At least I have my wish as there seems to have been no injuries.

blissett repped this.
  9. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's only semifinals, it's better...Why all 8 teams make it to quarter? More games for TV?

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 CoachJon, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    The five subs in 3 windows rule was put in place earlier this year by IFAB due to the COVID situation.It is not a matter of “accepted mostly;” it is a formally incorporated part of the international rules of competition.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes. They get money to put practice games on what CBS All Access passes for TV. Of course I doubt more than two of the remaining games will be any good watching. So far only a few of the teams have even played one half of good soccer.

kennytt repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That makes it neither right or good policy. I do not believe it helps anything at all.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I want to thank NCC for showing us how to play the game. At least there’s one team in this tournament who is watchable and entertaining and seems to know what they are doing. Everyone else...? :coffee:

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #189 Smallchief, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Could part of the reason be that Paul Riley told his NC players to show up for this tournament -- rather than opt out as have Rapinoe, Heath, Press, and others?

I agree that the soccer has been ragged in this tournament -- although Washington has also shown that it can be exciting. On the other hand, I have enjoyed seeing a large number of rookies on the field -- although I can't say that I've been overly impressed with any of them. Hopefully in the knockout rounds we can identify some future stars.

Standout offensive players I've seen: Vero, Groom, L. Williams. Defense: Barnes. And iron women Kawasumi, Erceg, and Staab.

blissett repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well their arguably the 2nd best pro club in the world as a they’ve split games with #1 Lyon as well as beaten powerhouses Man City & PSG.

most of their starters came back including all their WC players

they’ve started most of the same lineup whereas the rest of the teams have experimented with rookies & newbies(The commentator mentioned last night that 3 NCC players had the most minutes so far in this tourney)

only time will tell, if this was the right way to do (playoffs)or if they should of rested a bit their staters

blissett repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is good soccer out there, as the commentators mentioned last nite——zero own goals, zero PK’s given. Reading one poll, it got 8 of the top 20 pro club teams are in the NWSL

But I too feel that the rookies haven’t shined as much as we like, it’s been more of an bonanza for the vets. How will this effect the future of the USWNT?

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was to help prevent injuries and other issues since IFAB knew players were going to come out less fit after lockdowns and such. The three windows were to prevent too many interruptions to the game (unlike international friendlies where 6 subs are often allowed in as many windows).

I know we've all said that these games games don't matter, and they don't as far as going on to the quarterfinals. But, I just want to point out that they do still matter to the players in that this is probably the only season that the players will have, and you want every opportunity to play that you can get, especially for those on the USWNT bubble who want to showcase their skills in front of Vlatko and the rest of the USWNT staff who are there.

Plus, I'll add that I seem to have enjoyed more of the games that you did. Yeah, there was some slow play in a few games, but some of the games have been truly fun to watch. I hope some others, including some new fans, agree. And most of all, there is live women's soccer, and I'm grateful.

lunatica, blissett, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally, one team was going to be out, but once Orlando had to withdraw, all teams made it to the quarters. And I think its not only more games for CBS All-Access, its more games for players as well. Players are getting a minimum of 5 games guaranteed in this tournament/season, which makes the month-long quarantine in Utah more worth it for them. I don't know if straight to semifinals was ever entertained, but if it was, I would guess that the NWSLPA would have asked for the quarterfinals to get another game for the players.

blissett, CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I only saw this game in highlights, but I have to say that the color of the Sky when Dunn scores is fantastic! Had you noticed, guys? :)

CoachJon and lil_one repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you've missed most of the evening games with those being in the middle of the night for you, but yes, the sunsets have been incredible to see in pretty much every evening game. The glare isn't fun for the first 20-30 minutes, but the sunsets and the full panorama with the mountains have made me want to visit Utah.

blissett repped this.
  21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Game over. 2-0 At least I have my wish and there seem to have been no injuries.
    From what I have seen this change has not had the desired effect. The injury rate seems higher and it does slow down the games as it takes almost as long to make 5 subs at one time as it does to make 5 subs one at a time as they mostly complete one sub before they start the next one and no one seems to enforce the "exit at the closest touch line" directive. 5 subs like the required even if unneeded water breaks have done nothing to increase player safety and only introduced delays into the matches.

I am in favor, mostly, of water breaks when the heat index warrants but there is no option. I have seen Premier league matches where there were water breaks and the temperature was in the 70s Fahrenheit.

I smell the media's tentacles reaching in to lengthen the games and sneak a little more commercial time into the mix. The NWSL had a commercial in the water break in the first match but since then I suspect that no one wanted to pay for the time. In many other leagues I have watched they have placed commercials in the water break.

I also think it is about political correctness so that those in power can appear to care while raking in all the cash they can.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." Charlton Heston

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Bella (Geist) Bixby (Thorns GK) has been the Thorns #3 keeper, these have been her first professional appearances. I would say she has been very impressive.

lil_one repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It would have been very easy to fix the glare problem from the start by simply mounting the cameras on the other side of the field but I guess no one thought of that.

BTW: Utah is pretty but, for me, I want to avoid Mormons at almost any cost. Independent militias are superior to interact with and you can get nearly the same views in almost all the other northwestern mountain states.

The sunsets are beautiful but we see much the same way down here in Tennessee. The dust from north Africa is enhancing everything.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Premier League mandated the hydration breaks, like the NWSL did, regardless of temperature. It was another measure to prevent injuries due to not only less fitness coming in but the increased load of the schedule, post-lockdown.

We can't say for certain that these measures aren't helping because we don't know how many more injuries there would be if the measures weren't taken. Of course, we'll still have injuries, and in this tournament's case, its not only the weather and the fitness issues but the turf, too (and for the first couple of games, the altitude as well). The sub changes and hydration breaks are mostly a measure to help prevent those types of injuries that increase under increased loading, like dehydration and heat-related issues and soft tissue injuries. And while we've seen fatigue and dehydration with heat-related cramps, we actually haven't seen many pulled muscles, so I think the measures could be helping honestly.

Whenever we return to regular seasons in the leagues worldwide, I believe we'll see a return to regular hydration breaks due to high temperatures and the normal amount of subs. Both of these measure are due to this being a unique year, and IFAB, in the past, have been staunchly against an increased amount of subs, but even they had to admit that such a unique situation called for some exceptions to the rule.

lunatica repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe that no one thought of it.

For those familiar with Utah (I believe there's at least a couple of Utah locals who are sometimes around here?), are there issues specific to the Zions Bank Stadium that would have precluded moving the cameras to the other side? I believe the cameras are on the side where most of the facilities are, such as the press box. Perhaps also technologically, it isn't feasible to just move multiple cameras over? And of course, once the banners were in place on the opposite side, you're not moving the cameras.

Has quarantine made you grumpy, or do you just forget to end your posts with "And get off my lawn"? ;)