PBP: 2020 Challenge Cup week 2 (July 4, 5, 8)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Jul 4, 2020.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Woldmoe earns a yellow for a foul just outside the box on the right. The Houston free kich was really bad. High School players do better.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There seems to be no one here so I will quit posting. I am tiring a bit anyway.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    77' 2-0 Houston subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (4 of 5) #5 Cecelia Kizer for #23 Ally Prisock.

81' 2-0 Houston counters 3-v-3, Daly passes diagonally for Stengel through arc top left. Stengel turns away at 3m box left, crosses to 14m mid-right. Hanson runs on, drills a header back across box -- alas, it drills teammate Kizer in the chest at point-blank range, and goes nowhere. That kind of sums up Houston's night.

82' 2-0 Sky Blue subs in { 3rd of 3 }:
    - (5 of 5) #20 Evelyne Viens for #25 Ifeoma Onumonu.

83' 2-0 Houston subs in { 3rd of 3 }:
    - (5 of 5) #12 Veronica Latsko for #9 Hayley Hanson.

84' 2-0 Ball into near touch. Zerboni remains seated on the field, rubbing her right knee. Brief stoppage, Zerboni walks into touch. No more subs.

86' 2-0 Naughton stays down on elbows after -- a header challenge? Stoppage, trainer checks Naughton's left ear. Naughton trots to the far-touch line judge, awaits re-entry. Drop ball to Houston.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+4' (of +5') 2-0 Sky Blue backpass, Sheridan kicks to clear, Stengel blocks it with her body -- and it bounces directly back into Sheridan's gloves. That kind of night.

FT 2-0. Sky Blue moves into a five-way tie for 2nd with 1 match to play. And they lead that pack on GD :laugh: It is possible for 3 of these 5 teams to all lose, but Houston and Washington play each other, so they can't both stay on 4 points. North Carolina clinches the #1 seed.

9+4 (+5-1) 1.North Carolina (at Sky Blue)
    4+1 (+2-1) 2.Sky Blue (vs. North Carolina)
    4=0 (+5-5) 3.Houston (at Washington)
    4=0 (+4-4) 4.Utah (at Chicago)
    4-1 (+3-4) 5.Washington (vs. Houston)
    4-1 (+1-2) 6.OL Reign (vs. Portland)
    2-1 (+2-3) 7.Portland (at OL Reign)
    1-2 (+1-3) 8.Chicago (vs. Utah)

Sky Blue 9(6)-(1)4 shots(sog), 6-1 corners, 13-20 crosses vs. 12-9 clearances, 2-3 offsides, 10-13 fouls, 55% possession.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm going to fill this thread with some posts: sorry, but, as I said multiple times, the second match starts at 4:00 am for me in Europe, so I couldn't watch it live (I can't ask my doctor to prescribe me to sleep during the day! :laugh:).

First, I'm going to say something off-topic:

Oh for sure: Italian is chock-full of euphemistic expletives, mostly to avoid saying "God" or some taboo parts of the body. :laugh:

Now I have to wonder if it's possible that it's the opposite: if "like the Dickens" is so old an idiom as you all say, guys, what if it's instead Charles Dickens' family name coming from it? :geek: Maybe his ancestors were seen as particularly "devilish"! :devilish::D

CoachJon repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, that mistake was costly, but it is in particular when the name of the player you pass the ball to is Nahomi Kawasumi. :sneaky:

Today's goal is the carbon copy of the one she scored at WWC 2011 in the semifinal vs Sweden. They even have the "blonde GK" in common. And Campbell's face after the goal was not dissimilar to Lindahl's. :laugh:

I could see the goal in the Twitter posted by @Gilmoy and in the Woman of the Match clip on the NWSL website, but for some reason it looks like they didn't upload highlights yet. o_O

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is another classic. :p

I still wonder why Zerboni didn't play the previous match.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, who would have thought that Portland and Chicago would have been in the last two places and we'd have such a tight pack chasing NCC? :geek: For sure, despite the not stellar quality of many games so far, this tournament is revealing quite interesting and open.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  9. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Wow - if Ingrid Moe Wold (of Norway) joined Sky Blue, then they would have Woldmoe and Moe Wold on the field :eek:

blissett repped this.
  10. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Actually, interestingly, Norway's' Moe Wold is going to sign with Everton in EPL, leaving Spain, it was just announced.

11. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I looked it up and apparently it comes from Richard--->Dick + ens (family of). But I vote we go with the more colorful story of descended from devils. Especially since Charles 1) was an asshole and 2) wrote more than a human could possibly write without a pact with the devil.

blissett repped this.