2020 Challenge Cup semifinals

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [#6.CHI-NJ.#7]
    Goralski for Short.

Flores for Dorsey.

Both teams changed their LB only!

Chicago: Q Colaprico (starting), Redei (not) / OUT Mautz, A.Wright, Nagasato, T.Davidson, Gautrat, Stevens
    Sky Blue: Q Monaghan (starting) / OUT Dydasco, Lloyd, Pugh, Tiernan, K.Wright

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We now have two, count them, two goals total in the knockout rounds. I do not believe the defenses are really that good. Maybe, since both teams will be playing with 10 effective field players we may have a better match more balanced between offense and defense.

It will be nice to have a late match without the glare of the setting sun in our collective eyes.

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know whats going on with Casey Short?

blissett repped this.
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its fitness, or lack thereof, and lack of time practicing together as a team.

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There were a few times during past pre seasons that NWSL teams got beat by college squads

6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were the pro teams playing the starters, or players trying to make the team?

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have heard that and considered it and rejected it. The players should have arrived in pretty good shape as basic conditioning does not require other and by this time they should about as practiced as they would be after about a third of a regular season.

There is something else going on, like maybe stress affecting concentration, and that is what is making it so hard to retain concentration to score well.

8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harsh, considering we are in the midst of a pandemic don't you think?

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know it has been asked and discussed before but I think it is rather absurd that that "Red Stars" seem to never wear "red."

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, both are from Naperville, Illinois.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No. These are professionals and they can do a lot on their own if they choose. I also specifically mentioned stress as a possible cause in the part of my post you chose not to quote.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    02' 0-0 Goralski plays a give-and-go down wide left, continues her own stealthy run, receives down to 5m. Goralski turns away, backpass to Watt cutting through 14m box left. Watt chips a shross to 5m left post, Sheridan dives out and double-punches away.

PBP guy says Dames told him that Chicago scrimmaged 5v5 for only two 5-minute sessions, and had Short +1 other injured. That's bad luck.

03' 0-0 Chicago left ck, to endline 3-right, K.Johnson jumps past endline and heads down into right post from the outside.

04' 0-0 Chicago right ck, cleared.
    04' 0-0 Chicago cross from wide right to 6-top center, Onumonu(?) heads away. Sky Blue have yet to cross midfield.

06' 0-0 Cudjoe receives at circle left, passes forward!

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor injury in yesterday's practice

blissett and Crazyhorse repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    St George has slain her dragon. 1-0

blissett and Smallchief repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal! 1-0 Chicago in only 8 minutes. St. Georges looked surprised.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which is it, they are professionals and should be in shape or stress in hampering them? Or both.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now 2-0 Hill scores. Sky Blue looks clueless when defending under pressure.

19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know BUT being in shape and being impacted by stress are not mutually exclusive at all. But I do believe they should be in pretty good shape and I think they mostly are.

blissett and Crazyhorse repped this.
  20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I asked before but I will do so again as there was no answer earlier.
    The final is set to be on regular CBS but I have no access to CBS at this time due to changes made to locals by HULU. Will the CBS broadcast also be available on CBS All Access? Does anyone know?

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    07' 0-0 K.Johnson picks up ball in own 1/3, kicks ahead through circle top. Flores misses an awkward left-outstep try, Watt is loose behind her at 30m! But then Watt's 1st touch clangs too far in front of her, E.Johnson slides on knees at box top mid-right and takes ball with her.

08' 1-0 Off that clearance, Woldmoe receives and turns at midfield mid-left, DiBernardo pokes ball away. McCaskill passes to K.Johnson unmarked at circle top, Chicago has a 3-v-4 counter -- but St. Georges is still up from the previous attack, and is 10m alone at 25m mid-right. E.Johnson is already half-lying down at 30m arc (her) left, on left palm and side with some leg problem, as K.Johnson dribbles right past her. Flores rotates to arc top (her) left to stop ball, K.Johnson passes to St. Georges alone through box top 6-right, to 14m. St. Georges cuts centerward to dodge Lewandowski's slide-block try, Flores lunges right foot from the left flank, St. Georges feels her shot window closing -- flicks right outstep dink past Sheridan frozen at 6-top 1/4 right, it rolls too fast for Purce, on a perfect line -- off left post bottom and banks into center back low. St. Georges can't believe it, either: all those shots in-form in practice, and that's the one that scores in a semi :p Her 1st NWSL goal!

10' 1-0 Sky Blue subs in { 1st of 3 }:
    - (1 of 5) #8 Erica Skroski for #24 Estelle Johnson.

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11' 2-0 St. Georges joins attack again to 25m wide right, passes down wide right for Watt 1-v-1 on Flores at 7m. Kawasumi double-teams, Watt splits them and dribbles to 7m mid-right. Woldmoe challenges and blocks Watt's rushed left roundhouse shot point-blank, it rebounds to St. Georges at box top right. St. Georges quickly crosses toward K.Johnson at 8m 2-right, Skroski jumps leaning backward and heads a bloop nowhere, it bounces directly to Hill's shins at 8m 2/5 left. Purce and Lewandowski close the blast doors, Hill plays the drop from her waist perfectly, quickly snaps a standing right foot kick between them -- it skips once at 1m 1/5 right and sneaks under Sheridan's gloves, bounces into right bottom pipe 1/2 back. That quick tempo is sometimes worth more than all the power in the world, because GKs can't read your shot motion when you have no shot motion :eek:

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just found some good news for me. Hulu seems to have added the regular CBS channel back into my lineup sometime earlier today. I hope it sticks. There are problems with living in a rural environment but it does isolate me better during the pandemic.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 Gilmoy, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    21' 2-0 Kawasumi crosses from 12m wide left to 8m 1/4 left, Ertz heads away to arc top right post. Monaghan stops ball, steps to it and shoots right foot rising, off right 90, it bounces back to 7m 6-right, Cudjoe reflex-heads it straight up.

32' 2-0 1H hydration break. Chicago's 1st goal is a bit of a fluke from an injury in the run of play -- how often does that happen? (Who trains for that?) The 2nd goal is a real gut punch, something from nothing. Sky Blue's offense is not even tested yet: they better show up now, and create 1 fluke in their favor.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    41' 2-0 Monaghan comes back to a ball at midfield right touch, taps it back into Purce's stride -- and continues her own run up right touch, already well past Goralski. Purce accelerates up mid-right, K.Johnson blatantly reaches out right arm and hauls Purce down by her right(?) shoulder. Foul, yellow card on K.Johnson.

43' 2-0 Woldmoe passes inside-out to arc top wide right, Monaghan gets behind Goralski's high position. Monaghan veers inward through 12m box right, to 3m mid-right. Hard ground cross through 2m for Flores arriving at left post, Naeher kick-saves and pokes ball just behind Flores -- off Ertz's back, Chicago clears. Zerboni shoots from ~arc top mid-left, way over bar. +4'.

45+1' (of +4') 2-0 Flores crosses from ~arc top box left to 6-top right post, Monaghan jumps facing ball, contested back-header pops up high and wide right.