2020 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think that there are two types of movement (on or off the ball): the first is reactive and the second is proactive. Reactive: you react to what the defense gives you. This seems to be what you are describing (getting between lines, finding gaps etc). Wales did a very good job of limiting those options imo. the second type of movement is proactive: you move with the idea of manipulating a player or a defense's positioning/shape. This can be done to make space for yourself, or to make space for others. It can be done with or without the ball. To be most effective, there should be more than one player involved in that movement. The movement can be vertical or lateral. (by with the ball, I am not referring to long switching passes or even passing in general but dribbling as a solo run that draws defenders and forces defenses to commit and make decisions.

As I said, I believe Wales did a very good job of being compact and limiting space across the whole defense but especially centrally. The US was unable to force open gaps. The main movement we had came from the lateral ball movement during possession. That movement forced the Wales defense to move...but like an accordion. Occasionally space opened up but not centrally. The defense was always moving in the same direction and it only opened up spaces on the outside when they over shifted to a degree or were too slow with the reaction to the pass. What failed to materialize (and what is much more difficult to create just from ball movement) is "tears" in the central part of the field. There were very few gaps and lanes etc to exploit. Compound that with the fact that Lleget is not a forward and finding any gaps is always going to be more difficult for him and you have almost zero offense. Konrad on the left didn't do anything to help. Reyna did his best work from behind...more in the role he plays at Dortmund I believe...using his vision and occasionally moving forward. So the result is that there was literally zero movement from up top. We had overlapping runs as our only movement. On top of that, while Adams, McKennie and Musah were outstanding, imo, they werent' the type of mids that can break down a defense by themselves.

nobody and gogorath repped this.
  2. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    agree. I think the lack of vertical movement, however, was more a symptom of the lack of horizontal movement. As a forward, unless you are significantly faster than your opponent, you can't just run past him and expect that to be your plan. You need gaps or you need the defender to be commiting/leaning/moving the wrong way. On an overlap, the attacking defender/mid benefits when the opposing defender is occupied or moving with an attacking player. you force the defender to make a choice and that little bit of hesitation can open up acres of space behind the defense.

Edit: Agree that practice (not to mention actual forwards) will help and I am not worried at this time.

gogorath repped this.
  3. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Since we are talking about Reyna, I thought I'd throw this in. There were two "plays" in the game that stood out for me.
    1. that ball he sent over the top to McKennie. It was obvious to me (and I know everything) that the best pass was the one developing to his left (i think it was Konrad but it could ahve been Robinson overlapping I suppose). Then he put it over to McKennie and I thought...wow! he may not have put together an incredible game but that kind of vision is rare.
    2. that moment when he retaliated against the Wales player that tripped him up. I'm a huge Donovan fan but that little bit of an edge is one thing he lacked (Clint had it).

I don't know how it would work against a stronger team but I tend to think that the midfield trio of Adams, McKennie and Musah along with Pulisic and Reyna in free roles just behind a single forward (most likely Sargent) might be the way to go.

The only issue I see is that having two attacking outside backs/wingers might leave us too vulnerable. (Wouldn't know for sure until we actualy try it I guess). As it was, Wales looked at least as dangerous as we were.

Patrick167 and nobody repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just fodder for why Reyna is so far in the lead for this award.
    1329779165084651521 is not a valid tweet id

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

LouisZ repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Efrain can only train for us because he already played in the U17 WC.
    But at least is a start. I'm sure he is well aware of the current first-team group. I wonder where he would see himself fit. The left-back position is wide open.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could’ve filed his paperwork too though, right? IIRC with Julian Green, he got his paperwork through absurdly fast.

8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IndividualEleven repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He would be the slowest LB in professional soccer.

frankburgers repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Insanity. 15 to 4 in US versus the rest of CONCACAF combined. By the way, 2 of those other 4 are Canadian (Davies and David).

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    And 9 of them are legit starters or rotational players. Incredible.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  13. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It is amazing, and it just underlines how fast things have been changing in US soccer. Take out the players that were fully developed in foreign leagues and it is still incredible.

I wonder if any of the people that have recently (in the past 1-3 years) stated that the US will never win a world cup, or won't in their lifetime, are beginning to feel a bit more optimistic?

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    During its run to the Semis in 2010, Uruguay had in the Top-5 7 players including 4 UCL group stagers. At the 2018 WC, they had 11 Top-5 players.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My favorite USYNT memory? The U20s beating Uruguay with Suarez and Cavani at the 2007 U20 World Cup. It was a ferocious game that went to extra time. The boys were toast for the semi against Austria. But if anybody wants to know how good the young Michael Bradley was, they should find a replay of that game.

But anyway, what Johnny is doing in Brazil ain't normal either. He might lead all U20s in minutes this season in that league. He'll be close.
    1332827913624883201 is not a valid tweet id

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    OM were rumored to be interested in Johnny.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I saw Daryl Dike play a whole game for the first time. I think he will be USMNT caliber but I don't think he is ready. He isn't quite quick enough and maybe hasn't quite learned how to adjust his game at a higher level. But I definitely think he is one for the future. He works hard too.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, he reminded me of a young Jozy with more hustle that can throw his weight around. He plays bigger than his listed 6ft frame but looks bigger.

19. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's his first season in MLS. He should be much better next year.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is listed 6'2", 220 lbs.

Eleven Bravo and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Johnny Soccer is my pick for the 4th central midfielder after McKennie, Adams, and Musah. He’s a complete player with physicality and he’s still growing as a player. He’s on track for Qatar, in my opinion.

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    220 is quite big for a 6’2” guy. That’s a powerhouse on a soccer field.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By starting for PSV, Ledezma has firmly put himself into the contender's category for this "breakout youngster of the year" award.
    1333113488772882433 is not a valid tweet id

He won't come close to winning, because Reyna is out of sight in the lead.
    1332749814564605952 is not a valid tweet id

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that is listed differently on different sites. He does look like a 6'2/220 dude.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    And whenever he goes shoulder to shoulder, the other guys FLIES. He has to learn when and where to use that.