2020 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Akinola choosing the US at the time isn't really the issue and I can tell you that back then, I really don't blame it - He's entitled to make that choice.

Not that I ever supported that system which was always criticized - but in a nutshell, the CSA encouraged talented youth from non-MLS academies to join an MLS Academy once they were referred from their youth clubs to the CSA. Then, MLS academies would integrate them, report on them and work with the CSA for potential call up to the NT.

Something definitely didn't work here and that's what the journalist was pointing out. The issue is the obvious breakdown of communication/cooperation between TFC and the CSA who found out after the fact from TFC - it took the CSA asking them why he wasn't on the list. Then TFC front office gets publicly confrontational with the CSA and making false claims on the matter. (still ongoing behavior on other issues)

TFC/CSA relationship got weird in 2014/2015 which coincidentally was the year Akinola went in the US program, when Bill Manning became the president of the club and Greg Vanney head coach - all this during year 1 of Montagliani's reforms - with some of them starting to rub MLS clubs the wrong way.

The journalist is flat out implying that TFC front office might have influenced him to join the US program. Personally, I don't know if I would go this far personally, I leave it at "negligence".(on purpose or not)

Just providing some context from back then - today, all of this is a none issue due to CPL. Ayo is free to choose and to that I say "Good luck kid, wherever you go next".

Three and Three repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eyes peeled for a Ledezma debut today. He's on the bench with the first team for their Europa League game.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  3. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm a big fan of his game. Of all our young Euro guys that haven't completely come good yet, I think he and Sargent are the two that we need the most. Ledezma is the kind of guy who, like Feilhaber before him, can make something happen with inches of space. 0-0 in the 72nd minute in Honduras, he's the ideal guy to bring on. I hope he at least gets a cameo today and builds from there.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We'll see.......................
    I bet today is the day for his debut. My prediction is they take off tubby Gotze for Ledezma in the 2nd half.

Ledezma, if we think of him as an attacking central midfielder,......................is currently behind a guy that's younger than him for the USMNT!! Gio Reyna.

In that position we're waiting for Ledezma and Mendez. We'll soon have Aaronson joining them in Europe.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  5. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I do think Reyna's emergence at that position has made his importance less than it would have been. But, I still think he has a slightly different skillset than Reyna that would work really well against a bunker. I'm not suggesting he would start over or even alongside Reyna but having that guy we can bring off the bench for a spark or to do something unexpected is a nice luxury.

I don't really see Mendez as competing for the same spot. Mendez leans closer to a 6 from what I've seen whereas Aaronson is basically a less-developed version of Reyna.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #381 LouisZ, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Mendez doesn't have the defensive chops to play the 6. His only chance is to be a backup to the 8.

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSV are down by 1 in minute 75 and the next sub wasn't Ledezma.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eyes peeled yet again for a Ledezma debut at PSV.
    1321432061979336704 is not a valid tweet id

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As we've stated, Reyna is going to be the runaway winner of the Breakout Youngster of the Year.

HOWEVER, Haji Wright has to be the feel good story of the season so far.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just because I don't know where else to put this..............................
    Pictures from a 2018 USYNT summit. Only two years ago.

The lineup.
    Sebastian soto, chris richards, richy ledezma, owen otasowie, uly llanez, gio reyna, sergino dest, pomykal, jonathan amon, brandon servania, julian araujo, mark mckenzie, brenden aaronson, bryang kayo, sam vines, christian cappis, sepulveda,hernandez-foster, david ochoa, durkin, cameron harper, taylor booth, ian hoffman, cuevas, chifamba, lacava, mcgylnn, scally, las, ben redzic, gloster, aboubacar keita, pepi, busio, akinola, caden clark, bello, sands, & jaylin lindesy.

1326192828091944961 is not a valid tweet id

Pegasus, Eleven Bravo and LouisZ repped this.
  11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This photo is going to be almost 3 years later. Who would have thought?

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive that so many turned out to be solid pros.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you want to be early for breakout player of 2021/2022. KHF is quite a talent.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Reyna has still got it for me, but if Musah was to commit, he has a case...

largegarlic, Marko72 and deejay repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eh. We'll see

Statistically speaking, as of right now anyway.............that's not close.
    We'll see by the end of the year.

Gio Reyna: 774 minutes, 2 goals, 5 assists
    Yunus Musah: 615 minutes, 1 goal, 0 assists

But you're certainly right that his commitment will at least present us with another candidate.

largegarlic and gogorath repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I doubt he commits until a cap tying game, so not until 2021.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yet, as far as their debut, Musah > Reyna.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed, and honestly I can't remember the last time I've been so thoroughly impressed by a player in his USMNT debut as I am by Musah. Though it must be said that Reyna's impressed me plenty in 2020 at Dortmund, and his game, which is about combining, was really hurt by the lack of familiarity with his teammates, I believe.

But Musah... damn, his play made Adams better, made McKennie better, and he added a hint of invention and inspiration on the ball to boot.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. For one game. One in which both were sorta playing out of position. But anyway......................

Both are candidates, but Reyna's play for Dortmund has been more impactful for Musah's play for Valencia. And that ain't particularly close.

By the way, speaking of Reyna, it looks like Dortmund just signed to a contract extension thru 2024.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...mund-forward-reyna-signs-new-contract-sources

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Whatever the game plan against Wales, it was not a great one for Reyna. "ReyLand" is actually a thing because the complement each other very well. Reyna is dangerous moving laterally and then hitting a player who is dangerous moving vertically (Haaland the epitome). Nobody was making that vertical run yesterday.

Musah was awesome though. We should do whatever we can do get him. He is 17 and is at the projected best case ceiling for Aaronson now. I think Brendan could get there, but that is projection and Musah is already there and could get better.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Reyna next to Weston with Weah making runs might be a better fit for him but I don't mind Musah being given the first shot.

22. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Personally, I don't think the lack of vertical runs was as much of a problem as the lack of lateral movement. For the most part, the only lateral movement was from long switches which sometimes freed up the wings (usually Reyna or Dest if I remember coerrectly). The problem is that Wales was very compact and held their shape well, so that the interior shifted without opening gaps, lanes etc that could be exploited. None of the top three Konrad, Lleget or Reyna were able to create movement that would open gaps which they or their teammates could take advantage of. Part of that is individual, but the reality is that to be fully effective, there must be multiple players running off the ball and off of each other.

Vertically we had the occasional overlap from the mids or defense (especially with Dest, McKennie, and later Robinson) but if you are looking for vertical movement from the forwards, and the defense is compact and disciplined, the only way that is going to happen is if your forwards are significantly faster than their defenders....lateral movement helps break down the defense and makes getting behind easier and reduces the need for speed.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think Reyna still has to get it for 2020 based on his overall body of work with Dortmund, but if Musah plays like that on a regular basis, he looks to be on the same level as our guys at big clubs (Adams, McKennie, Dest, Reyna). And I suspect he'll be moving on up from Valencia before too long.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Watching Dortmund, Reyna gets between the lines and will receive, turn, and Haaland is already making his run. Reyna knows he is making a run, knows generally where he is going to be, which foot he wants it on. Yesterday, he didn't know any of that info. He had to turn and look and expose himself to the defense longer. Part of the challenge of Internaltional Soccer. Why guys who are good in their club systems can struggle (Roldan without Lodiero).

Reyna will play with more team mates, different coaches, with the USMNT more. It will all get better. Pulisic has had the opposite problem. Many times he is making that run in anticipation of someone getting the ball and being able to feed him. But that player is just thinking of getting the ball and never sees Pulisic until too late. Reyna and Pulisic, if they can get some games together, should be on the same wavelength and Sargent or Altidore or even Zardes will make space and pick up the rebounds.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think the lack of vertical runs was an issue, but so was the lack of horizontal movement you bring up.

We stayed in our vertical lanes far too much. Guys swapped positions, but not actively while we were attacking. It was predictable. We needed more overloads, more crossing of runs; make the defense make a decision.

But that requires some level of practice and we had little.

Patrick167 and Mahtzo1 repped this.